Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:21 am
RexRed wrote:
I also have a question... would life have "evolved" without the moon? Or would it have evolved differently?

There is life within the deep ocean where neither the light from the moon nor the sun reaches it. The moon only affects the tide. If all life's evolution was dependent on the tide, which it isn't, then all life would have evolve differently.

As not all life is dependent on the tides, the moon affects only those creatures that are dependent on it.

The sun, being too far away, has little gravitational effect on the creatures on the planet. However, all life on the surface is dependent on the sun either directly (in the case of the plants) or indirectly (everything else).

That is not to say that the sun made life, anymore than the air made life or the earth or the water.

Quote:
Ultimately God "created" EVERYTHING, even though he uses creation to "form and make" other things..

Jumping to conclusions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:24 am
Rex. many millions of years ago, the moon was much closer to the earth. Do you have any ideas how this could have affected our environment and then life?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:29 am
No moon, no life on Earth:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4786
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:42 am
farmerman wrote:
Rex. many millions of years ago, the moon was much closer to the earth. Do you have any ideas how this could have affected our environment and then life?

Yes, I find that very interesting. I wonder what the actual odds are that peering out at the universe another earth could form in a solar system with our EXACT specifications so as to evolve uninterrupted over millions of years such a dynamic spectra of living organisms. The variables are too infinite to comprehend sustaining for so long such a grand motive.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:44 am
Lightwizard wrote:

Are you saying life came from a rock? Hehe (ok I'm sorry.)
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:52 am
Wolf,
I am not certain but I think I heard it once said on a discovery program that even the deepest part of the oceans are affected by what are called "seasons". That may have been challenged but I did hear that once.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:54 am
Nothing to apologize or "he he" for as you are partially right except that life forming needs other ingredients like water. It, however, doesn't require a superhuman, heavenly Emeril to whisk it all together and shout "BAM!"
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:42 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Nothing to apologize or "he he" for as you are partially right except that life forming needs other ingredients like water. It, however, doesn't require a superhuman, heavenly Emeril to whisk it all together and shout "BAM!"

That one still has me reeling... Laughing Would "BANG" be better?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:18 pm
Or maybe you would prefer BADDA BING! (That great Godfather in the sky?)
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:44 pm
RexRed wrote:
Wolf,
I am not certain but I think I heard it once said on a discovery program that even the deepest part of the oceans are affected by what are called "seasons". That may have been challenged but I did hear that once.

Seasonal...

Seasons are merely seasons. Life down there can support itself pretty well without extra input. Extra input, however, is nice. They'd love it and seize it the moment they can. Doesn't change anything.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:14 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Wolf,

Seasonal...

Seasons are merely seasons. Life down there can support itself pretty well without extra input. Extra input, however, is nice. They'd love it and seize it the moment they can. Doesn't change anything.

I read somewhere,
There may be an event horizon within the center of the earth.

There may be so much pressure at the core that matter may be forced into a different quantum state.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:13 pm
You have no source? Something like "Poppycock Science Made Easy?"

The mineral composition of our Earth on average consists of the same mixture we see elsewhere in the solar system so core must be iron metal along with some nickel. It's less dense than pure iron and therefore must have some lighter material mixed in. Sulfur and oxygen are the two best candidates and hydrogen a possibility. This is based on scientific studies -- postulating that there is an Event Horizon in the center of the Earth sounds like some quasi-cult-science-religion crazed supposition (notice I did not dignify it by using hypothesis or theory). Probably the Scientologist who are as kooky as one can likely find on this Earth -- look at their top representative, Mr. Cruise.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:50 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
You have no source? Something like "Poppycock Science Made Easy?"

The mineral composition of our Earth on average consists of the same mixture we see elsewhere in the solar system so core must be iron metal along with some nickel. It's less dense than pure iron and therefore must have some lighter material mixed in. Sulfur and oxygen are the two best candidates and hydrogen a possibility. This is based on scientific studies -- postulating that there is an Event Horizon in the center of the Earth sounds like some quasi-cult-science-religion crazed supposition (notice I did not dignify it by using hypothesis or theory). Probably the Scientologist who are as kooky as one can likely find on this Earth -- look at their top representative, Mr. Cruise.

http://www.carnegieinstitution.org/darkcrystal/default.html
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:43 pm
LW wrote-

Quote:
some nickel.

How can we get at it LW? Nickel has been up on the exchanges lately.
What's the nickel assay? Any other impurities that would have to washed out and sent into landfill?

We could be onto something. Don't tell anybody for flukes sake.Keep it under wraps.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:12 pm
So you're ready for a journey to the center of the Earth, Mr. Verne?

Your link, RR, is not supportive of your statement. It's supportive of the prevailing assessment of what is at the Earth's core. Do you actually read and absorb the links you post?

The event horizon fantasy could be a trip at Disneyland -- I remember the Director of Design there which I knew through friends. He was quoted as saying that it was slow in the design department one day so they thought up a new ride called "Toilet World," where one descends into the toilet plumbing in brown colored cars resembling -- well, I won't go any further.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:23 am
Ro 12:2
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 03:22 am
RexRed wrote:
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to
his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they
chastise him, his father and mother shall have him apprehended
and brought out to the elders at the gate of his home city, where
...his fellow citizens shall stone him to death." Deuteronomy 22:18ff
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 03:51 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:

"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to
his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they

I am sending this to my kids on Father's Day.

Joe(that should get their attention)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 04:59 am
The article on the chemical makeup of spinel minerals in the earths core has nothing to do with an "event hrizon" and how we get to such a silly end conclusion is another example of rex's fondness to mix and match words while not understanding their meanings.
Spinels are mixed oxides and the earth's core has always been an area of study because of the way our planet accreted over 4.5 billion years ago. There are vast unique areas of trevorite and iron nickel spinel ,magnetite , and Iron/iron spinel (Oxide) and the name "magnesiowustite" which is a phase name for a mineral called magnesioferrite (Mg Fe O). Wustite itself is a mineral that is pure FeO but has a structure just like rock salt, and magnesiowustite just has magneisum in the lattice. Because of this weird structure the mineral acts as a thermal blanket and heat transfer is excluded from this phase of rock. However, because we now understand the mechanics of convection celles in the earths mantle and inner core, we can model how heat is "turned over" by how it gets transmitted by measuirng "P" waves from earthquakes.

Weve been able to shoot P waves through most every inch of the planet an we havent found a singularity yet.
Maybe this material comes more from Art Bell or science fiction. It wuld be interesting reading though, an event horizon inside the earth would be very similar to how the BB was propogated.

Id mark this one down to the same theory that Bill WAtterson used to print in his "Calvin and Hobbes " strip. If you recall ,Calvin would often lose his "personal gravity" and go shooting off into space.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:31 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they

Shessh, I wonder what they did with the family dog if it was bad?

The guy who wrote that was obviously having problems with his teenager (interesting how not much has changed) Smile
0 Replies