Lightwizard

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 12:35 pm
Oh, come on, quit playing dumb. I know you are good at it but I have to go off and do errands as this is my day off. Ta Ta.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 12:39 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Oh, come on, quit playing dumb. I know you are good at it but I have to go off and do errands as this is my day off. Ta Ta.

See ya later Lightwiz. Good talking to ya.

Wish I had today off.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 12:46 pm
real life wrote:

So tell me, with what are you taking issue?

Jersey girl sitting on a plane next to a woman who is very quiet. In an effort to start a conversation, the Jersey girl, in her Jersey accent, asks, "So where you from?"

The woman turns; gives the Jersey girl a withering, condescending look; and responds, "I'm from a place where the people know enough not to end a sentence with a preposition."

Without missing a beat, the Jersey girl comes back with, "So where you from, Bitch?"
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 01:15 pm
ID-iocy - what more needs be said? The very structure and substance of the absurd, self-evidently wholly ignorant objections posed by ID-iocentric participants in this and kindred discussions against what amounts to the assembled body of knowledge and overwhelming legal, scientific and academic consensus demonstrates unambiguously the proponents of ID-iocy haven't the foggiest notion of what they're talking about.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:57 pm
Real Life,
did god made the Labradoodle?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:20 pm
How did God make anything? Actually why did he make anything at all anyways. A perfect creature has no needs to fulfill.... The more I look at how we interpret the God in the bible, the more he looks like one of us. So, either we are looking at the bible incorrectly, the bible is incorrect, God doesn't exist, or God really is a selfish 3-year-old who got bored 'one day' during the course of infinity and decided he would like some friends who had to follow rules that are impossible to follow, but be generous enough to let them not burn in flames and get raped by devils if they would admit that he is better.

Chumly, I think we need not ask such small picture questions when our big picture is already distorted.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 04:06 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
How did God make anything? Actually why did he make anything at all anyways. A perfect creature has no needs to fulfill. The more I look at how we interpret the God in the bible, the more he looks like one of us. So, either we are looking at the bible incorrectly, the bible is incorrect, God doesn't exist, or God really is a selfish 3-year-old who got bored 'one day' during the course of infinity and decided he would like some friends who had to follow rules that are impossible to follow, but be generous enough to let them not burn in flames and get raped by devils if they would admit that he is better.

Who are you and what have you done with the original Thunder_runner? Smile
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 04:37 pm
It's really me, only I have taken off the cap of ignorance to a point of enlightenment. It's funny, I thought I would come to some kind of conclusion about wether God exists or not...through discussion with various acquantinces and lots of pondering and other other discussion with Christians and non-Christians alike, I have realized that....1. religion is not good, 2. if there is a god, our purpose would indicate that our knowledge of him is less important than the way we treat each other, 3. I doubt there is a hell, 4. even armed with knowledge of god's existence, we are still bad....

Also, if the bible is true, it absolutely has to be allegory, it just doesn't make sense any other way (even allegory needs tough explaining)

I feel intellectualy reborn and as if I have lived thinking I was open-minded (I was to an extent) but once the fear that God will punish you for these thoughts is gone....it's clear waters for the S.S Freethought

It's nice.... Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 04:49 pm
There is always the possibility that there is a GOD...and that the Bible is no closer to telling us about that GOD than is Alice in Wonderland.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 05:42 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
It's really me, only I have taken off the cap of ignorance to a point of enlightenment. It's funny, I thought I would come to some kind of conclusion about wether God exists or not...through discussion with various acquantinces and lots of pondering and other other discussion with Christians and non-Christians alike, I have realized that....1. religion is not good, 2. if there is a god, our purpose would indicate that our knowledge of him is less important than the way we treat each other, 3. I doubt there is a hell, 4. even armed with knowledge of god's existence, we are still bad....

Also, if the bible is true, it absolutely has to be allegory, it just doesn't make sense any other way (even allegory needs tough explaining)

I feel intellectualy reborn and as if I have lived thinking I was open-minded (I was to an extent) but once the fear that God will punish you for these thoughts is gone....it's clear waters for the S.S Freethought

It's nice.... Very Happy

Congratulations. What led to this enlightenment?

You certainly sound different. Your posts reflect a much greater range of thought and possibility than they did previously. It's actually refreshing to read.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 05:55 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Chumly, I think we need not ask such small picture questions when our big picture is already distorted.
The question just cracks me up (!) and I must admit it would be very entertaining to see Real Life try and answer it.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:23 pm
My enlightenment was probably the direct result of an epiphany I had. I was looking around me, it was a very beautiful sunset and for some reason the thought occured to me that possibly we are a product of chance, and for the first time in my life...I grasped that and accepted it. It would do me no good to be scared of the void that I had so preciously held onto as the life after death. I could kick and scream but it just wouldn't do anything. I could shake my fist at the sky or just shake my head and supress that thought but neither could alter reality.

This thought came along with the logical deduction that, if there is a God, I sincerely doubt he would be offended by my uncertainty. I think that I have a very good line of thinking; I have not flat out rejected what I have learned from the bible, etc. but I have opened my mind to other possibilities and ideas. My beliefs now are logical, but not arrogant to aspects of religion.

I used to think that I would find all the wisdom I need from a single book, but actually being open minded is the greatest fulfillment.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:10 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:

It's nice.... Very Happy

Hi Runner,

Good to see you around.

This may surprise some, but I don't think your 4 points are necessarily incompatible with Christian belief.

Quote:
1. Religion is bad
-- the Bible has many examples of religion getting in the way of obeying God, which leads to #2...

Quote:
2. if there is a god, our purpose would indicate that our knowledge of him is less important than the way we treat each other
--- this is really just a restatement and expansion on #1. The Bible does teach that our behavior (the way we treat each other) is the basis on which God judges us, not just on what we 'know'. Be ye doers, not hearers only, the apostles taught.

Quote:
3. I doubt there is a hell
-- many Christians doubt and wonder about this very difficult topic. Doubting the existence of hell won't send you there.

Quote:
4. even armed with knowledge of god's existence, we are still bad....
-- When the Bible says 'all have sinned' , that's the way it really is. I am a sinner and that's why I need a Savior.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:34 pm
Real Life,
did god made the Labradoodle?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 04:34 am
real life wrote:
really is. I am a sinner and that's why I need a Savior.

And this is what I dislike about the Christian religion. You need a saviour? Salvation comes from within and from the deeds you do. You have to grab salvation by your own hands by ensuring the world is a better place. Jesus won't do it. His sole necessary contribution was to tell you how.

If he told us how, then why would we need him to come down and personally save us?

Strangely, enough, this somewhat contradicts my political beliefs, because this personal religious belief is actually Conservatism.

The Conservative view is, every man for himself. If you're poor, work for the money. Don't rely on Government for hands outs.

Just change poor with sinner, money with Salvation and Government with Jesus and you've got my belief down to a tee.

Hang on a minute, what has this got to do with Evolution?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:40 am
Farmerman, oblivious where his post would wind up, moved it from ID to here, said
Quote:
Well, for one, Thunder runner has spent some time obviously thinking about all this. I think that most of us have gone through the same thought processes in order to arrive at our present philosophies. Its always dangerous to propose that our belief system be joined to a parade of provable facts and evidence,
because if only one of these provable facts is not in harmony with our beliefs, then something loses. Either our thinking process becomes illogical, or else we must become creatures guided by our beliefs alone.

Yeh, that looks better, cept for that box around it. MAkes it look like a road sign.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:48 am
Wolf wrote:
Hang on a minute, what has this got to do with Evolution?

Nothing, but what the hay, nothing is going on in evolution right now and this is interesting.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 06:00 am
The pastor was talking to a group of young children about being good and going to heaven. At the end of his talk, he asked,
"Where do you want to go?"

"Heaven!" Suzy cried out.

"And what do you have to be to get there?" asked the preacher.

"Dead!" yelled Little Johnny.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:28 am
Quote:
Hi Runner,

Good to see you around.

This may surprise some, but I don't think your 4 points are necessarily incompatible with Christian belief.

Quote:
1. Religion is bad
-- the Bible has many examples of religion getting in the way of obeying God, which leads to #2...
Yes, so why do we have it? By going to church are you disobeying God's word? ....if your not with him, you're against him
Quote:
2. if there is a god, our purpose would indicate that our knowledge of him is less important than the way we treat each other
--- this is really just a restatement and expansion on #1. The Bible does teach that our behavior (the way we treat each other) is the basis on which God judges us, not just on what we 'know'. Be ye doers, not hearers only, the apostles taught.
Wait, what happened to grace alone? Even if those with Christ in their hearts aren't judged, what good is it to say that your works are important, right after saying they won't do you a lick of good?
Quote:
3. I doubt there is a hell
-- many Christians doubt and wonder about this very difficult topic. Doubting the existence of hell won't send you there.
I would hope not, but you're are missing my point, which is simply to challenge traditional thinking.
Quote:
4. even armed with knowledge of god's existence, we are still bad....
-- When the Bible says 'all have sinned' , that's the way it really is. I am a sinner and that's why I need a Savior.
This is the most overused expression by Christians. Think about this, why would God create us with the knowledge that his world would turn to chaos, then bestow rules on us that we can't follow, only so he could be our savior? It sounds nice, "I'm a sinner and God is my salvation", but really think about what you are saying, the one who created you didn't give you the means to accomplish anything without his help-according to the bible. That makes it sound like God created us (still a question of why?) for the sole purpose of showing off his power.... I am confused, why would a perfect, all-powerful creator do this?

I don't think they are completely incompatible...but they would require a bit of explaining. I never said I wasn't a Christian, in fact I still have great respect for the teachings of Jesus, but to have any kind of title (Christian, Hindu, etc.) I think is silly.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 09:14 am
It's so comforting to do know that someone considers themselves a holy authority and can safely state that if someone doesn't believe in hell, they shouldn't worry about going there.
0 Replies