real life

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:27 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Oh, bullshit, rl - DNA and morphology leave no doubt dogs have developed through domestication and intentional genetic manipulation of wolves. By DNA alone, canis lupus and canis familiaris are rather less different than are human natives of Europe and Asia. Get an education.

Intentional genetic manipulation and evolution by random mutation are two completely different propositions.

What you seek to prove is that new bauplans, whole new and novel structures, previously unknown biological and chemical processes and systems can arise by random mutations in the genetic code.

What you are offering as proof is that folks domesticated wolves by inbreeding them (seems like evidence for intelligence, not randomness as a driver), thus producing minor superficial variations and very little actual genetic variability (by your admission) and kept them as pets.

Do you not see that they are unrelated?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:29 pm
Real Life,
did god made the Labradoodle?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:17 pm
Again, like the streaker on the Oscars, RR/RL is showing his shortcomings. He blithely states there is no evidence that wolves were domesticated by men and evolved into all the species of dogs when there are mountains of evidence. Ignorance is bliss and RR/RL is happy in his blissfulness. It doesn't mean he will ever be relieved by a god or anything else of the stigma of ignorance he daily displays on this forum.
That man has learned to manipulate evolution even in the smallest degree by creating variations in species is not proof that natural selection is incorrect. Minor variations? You've got to be kidding. You're barking up the wrong tree, so to speak, or peeing on the wrong fire hydrant.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 04:44 am
real life wrote:
Intentional genetic manipulation and evolution by random mutation are two completely different propositions.

What is up with you people?

The evolution of dogs is through selection processes. The genetic mutations themselves were not intentional. Intentional genetic manipulation is a very, very, very recent technique developed only within the previous century.

Evolution does not occur solely through random mutation. It is through random mutation AND selection processes. The genetic mutations that resulted in today's modern dog were random. Humans, however, provided the selection process.

Quote:
What you seek to prove is that new bauplans, whole new and novel structures, previously unknown biological and chemical processes and systems can arise by random mutations in the genetic code.

What you are offering as proof is that folks domesticated wolves by inbreeding them (seems like evidence for intelligence, not randomness as a driver), thus producing minor superficial variations and very little actual genetic variability (by your admission) and kept them as pets.

Yes, but how did the mutations occur? Hm? Tell me that. Did the breeders deliberately mine uranium and expose the dogs to it? Did they develop carcinogenic chemicals to mutate their DNA? No. The new alleles arised through random genetic mutation.

The only difference between what happened with the wolves and what happens with species, is that the selection pressures were provided by humans.

It does not change the fact that they evolved.

The mechanisms are exactly the same.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:31 am
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
RexRed wrote:
So what came first, God or the big bang?

That's an absolutely meaningless question, Rex, and further confirmation of your ignorance of science and your slavery to superstition - there is empirical, reproduceable, independently verifiable, quantifiable, multiply cross-corroborated evidence for the "Big Bang" - such a phenomenon is consistent with observation, known scientific law and theory, and the math works. No deistic construct is supportable through the same methodology.

Empirical? Really -- observed by whom?

Reproduceable? Has it been -- or is that something that is being planned (with your assist, no doubt)?

Independently verifiable? Really -- a second observer? Who?

Quantifiable? You're guessing --again. Without knowing your starting point, you are simply guessing at what was in between then and now.

You're flaunting your position's inherent ignorance. Empirically observed, quantified and recorded by astronomers and cosmologists from Copernicus, Tycho, Keppler, and Gallileo through the teams today directing radiometric astronomical research and deep space probes such as the Voyagers, confirmed and independently verified by physicists and mathemeticians. While surprises and amazing discoveries are the stuff of such research, what has been found and verified - over the past half millenia - is wholly consistent with, matches theoretical predictions developed through, does not in any way contraindicate but rather reinforces and further develops, The Big Bang Theory. The confirmatory observations continue to build, becoming ever more precise and detailed with technology's advance, and, at the very end, the math works, all the way back to the Planck Horizon - a phenomenon observed and confirmed, a phenomenon predicate upon the emergence and expansion of the universe from a dimensionless point singularity some 14 BYA, give or take a few hundred Million years. You can refuse to understand and/or accept that, but you can't change the facts that the observations are consistent with the theory's predictions, that the math works, and that apart from details of particular specific, as-yet-not-conclusively-determined mechanics, there is no counter theory endorsed by any but a very few, generally dubiously credentialled, contrarians outside the overwhelming consensus of legitimate scholars and researchers accreditted, credentialed, and active in the fields of study at discussion.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:34 am
Real wrote:

Are you saying nothing can be proven unless it is observed?

Have you ever seen Christ?

No? Then Christ never existed.

Have you seen God?

No? Then God doesn't exist.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:36 am
So Jeebus created the little Chihuahuas, ever' one, huh? Did old Noah (and i do mean old) take a pair of Chihuahuas on the Ark? What about Pomeranians? King Charles Cavalier Spaniels?

People who deny creation make Baby Jeebus cry . . .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:39 am
In the essay "Humans as the World's Greatest Evolutionary Force" Stephen R. Palumbi asserts that human beings, by virtue of their population growth, technology, and use of chemical agents, are dramatically affecting evolutionary change in other species. Palumbi's conclusion provides another reason why it is a good idea for young students to learn evolutionary theory:

Quote:
Ignoring the speed of evolution requires us to play an expensive catch-up game when chemical control agents and medications fail. Because our impact on the biosphere is not likely to decline, we must use our knowledge about the process of evolution to mitigate the evolutionary changes we impose on species around us.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:36 am
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:

Are you saying nothing can be proven unless it is observed?

Hi xingu,

No, I'm saying that you can't call it 'empirical evidence' if it hasn't been observed.

You may attempt other methods of proof, but they aren't empirical.

(Obviously not all proofs require empirical evidence. )

But don't claim you have 'empirical evidence' if you don't. Easy.

The process of evolution has not been observed. Neither has the 'Big Bang'. Therefore there is no 'empirical evidence' of either. Would you agree?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:44 am
Answers-dot-com wrote:
em·pir·i·cal (ĕm-pîr'ĭ-kəl) adj.

a. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis.
b. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: empirical laws.
2. Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine. (emphasis added)

Note the conjunction "or" in the definitions above, which i have highlighted. Empirical proofs do not axiomatically require observation.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:51 am
The tactic of tangling up semantics by mangling definitions is an expected tactic of those enclosed in their tiny world of religiosity. They've been convinced it is an expanded view of our world and the universe but it is decidedly not. It's all been dumbed down and simplified in the Bible so their little minds can understand.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:20 am
Real wrote:
The process of evolution has not been observed. Neither has the 'Big Bang'. Therefore there is no 'empirical evidence' of either. Would you agree?

I will not agree with you on the evolution process. If you fail to accept sciences observation of the evolution process then you are telling us you choose to live in ignorance in order to abide by your religious myths. Since you know less on this subject than the scientist who spend their life studying it your view on this subjct is meaningless, especially since you cannot provide any evidence to support your religious dogma.

Quote:
Mechanisms of evolution
Evolution consists of two basic types of processes: those that introduce new genetic variation into a population, and those that affect the frequencies of existing variation. "Variation proposes and selection disposes." [16]

The mechanisms of evolution include mutation, linkage, heterozygosity, recombination, gene flow, population structure, drift, natural selection, and adaptation.

These mechanisms of evolution have all been observed in the present and in evidence of their existence in the past. Their study is being used to guide the development of new medicines and other health aids such as the current effort to prevent a H5N1 (i.e. bird flu) pandemic. [17]

SOURCE

I will agree with you on the second. But then so what if it has not been observed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:45 am
Something being observed in action is not the same as observing the results and examing the evidence, coming to a rational and logical conclusion. Those are observations nevertheless. The Bible's conclusion with no observable evidence present after-the-event to prove any of Genesis is not rational nor logical.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:55 am
I submit the effects and consequences of both Evolution and The Big Bang have been observed, confirmed, and found to be consistent with predictions derived through application of multiple scientific laws and theories (I here point out as well that some religionists appear committed to remainining entirely ignorant of just what constitutes scientific theory, and of what are the derivations and ramifications of scientific law), just have the effects and consequences of Atomic Theory, The Theory of Gravity, and The Theory of Electromagnetism, among others. Who has directly observed gravity, atoms, or electromagnetism, yet who can deny the observed effects and consequences of same?

I submit further that the effects and consequences of religionist thinking in opposition to scientific discovery have been observed and confirned as well -
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 12:17 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I submit the effects and consequences of both Evolution and The Big Bang have been observed, confirmed, and found to be consistent with predictions derived through application of multiple scientific laws and theories (I here point out as well that some religionists appear committed to remainining entirely ignorant of just what constitutes scientific theory, and of what are the derivations and ramifications of scientific law), just have the effects and consequences of Atomic Theory, The Theory of Gravity, and The Theory of Electromagnetism, among others. Who has directly observed gravity, atoms, or electromagnetism, yet who can deny the observed effects and consequences of same?

Nice waffle.

Observing the 'effect' or 'consequence' of an event postulated to have occurred in the distant past, and then inferring how you think it may have come to be, is far different from claiming to haved observed the event or process itself.

Gravity and magnetism can be tested and the immediate effects observed repeatedly here and now.

Observing an 'effect' and saying 'well it musta been evolution' is an inference based on an assumption that it couldn't have been otherwise.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 12:24 pm
That's so ridiculous, timber, I don't know if I'd even comment on it. Add twisted non-sequiturs to twisted semantics and you have RL/RR.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 12:25 pm
Real Life,
did god made the Labradoodle?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 12:27 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Something being observed in action is not the same as observing the results and examing the evidence.......

That's right.

Lightwizard wrote:
coming to a rational and logical conclusion..

That's opinion.

Lightwizard wrote:
Those are observations nevertheless.

That's wrong. Those are inferences.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 12:29 pm
That's your opinion and, again, you deal in twisting semantics and non-sequiturs while chasing your tail. You just might turn into butter by the end of the day.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 12:31 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
That's so ridiculous, timber, I don't know if I'd even comment on it. Add twisted non-sequiturs to twisted semantics and you have RL/RR.

Odd that you would say so. The first paragraph:

Quote:
Observing the 'effect' or 'consequence' of an event postulated to have occurred in the distant past, and then inferring how you think it may have come to be, is far different from claiming to haved observed the event or process itself.

agrees with what you said:

lightwizard wrote:
Something being observed in action is not the same as observing the results and examing the evidence.......

The second paragraph is hardly disputable.

So tell me, with what are you taking issue?
0 Replies