Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:12 am
RexRed wrote:
When people see the guy next door healed they start wondering and believing...

Yes, the gullible, never relying upon good standards of evidence, never lack for a sense of wonder.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:13 am
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Your seeming lack of faith is evidence too...

It is not seeming, it is genuine. I have absolutely no faith in your pronouncements because you consistently fail to provide evidence.

It is "seeming" from my perspective because God has not told me your true spiritual nature "yet" so I do not as a rule make assumptions...

I also may not trust your assessment of your own spirituality.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:14 am
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
When people see the guy next door healed they start wondering and believing...

Yes, the gullible, never relying upon good standards of evidence, never lack for a sense of wonder.

When everything else has failed who is to say otherwise?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:17 am
farmerman wrote:
Betcha he dont wear a helmet this time either.

Brain injuries can lead to brilliance and autism... Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:20 am
Entia non sunt multiplicanda--causes are not to be multiplied. In fact, and despite what anyone else tells you, that is what is referred to as Occam's razor. In fact, he actually wrote: Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.--plurality should not be posited without necessity. What he was saying is that the simplest explanation, if there is evidence, is the best. You provide a simple explanation, but you provide no evidence. That makes your "explanation" simple-minded, and untrustworthy.

I note that you state that "god" has not told you anything about me. It does not surprise me in the least that you are willing to assert that "god" speaks to you.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:25 am
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Blind faith is not a Biblical concept... blindness is not a Biblical endeavor.
. Im sure there are a plethora of faiths that could be considered blind. In that respect , Biblical is certainly not alone.

No, they (plethora of faiths) are not really blind... The various faiths are simply isolating one or several truths concerning God and burying them with counterfeits.... People would not follow into religion if there was not "some" truth...

But the key is to look through these various religions and gather the kernels of truth into one general belief system.

The Bible is the guide to this process or the "road map" to understanding or "knowing"...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:35 am
Setanta wrote:
Entia non sunt multiplicanda--causes are not to be multiplied. In fact, and despite what anyone else tells you, that is what is referred to as Occam's razor. In fact, he actually wrote: Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.--plurality should not be posited without necessity. What he was saying is that the simplest explanation, if there is evidence, is the best. You provide a simple explanation, but you provide no evidence. That makes your "explanation" simple-minded, and untrustworthy.

I note that you state that "god" has not told you anything about me. It does not surprise me in the least that you are willing to assert that "god" speaks to you.

Ok,
In science every time we try to look at physical light it "disappears"... so are we to surmise from this that light does not exist? Since we have never been able to look at a light "particle" then how can we say it exists?

Are you really going to put forth that light actually does not exist?

When we cannot see something in science we measure the effects of it. We measure it's "possibilities".

Something was "created" in the big bang...

"Revelation" is God speaking to us

"Walking by the spirit" is God speaking to us

The word "spirit" itself comes from the word "inspiration" which is God "speaking" to us...

When God speaks it is not imagination but revelation and truth...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:35 am
RexRed wrote:
People would not follow into religion if there was not "some" truth...

Nonsense. People have beileved the earth is flat (some still do). People believe in "flying saucers." People believe in the Loch Ness Monster. People believe in "the Bermuda triangle." The complete lack of evidence for such beliefs, or the outright contradiction of such beliefs, is good evidence that people will believe any damned nonsense in which there is not a scintilla of truth.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:43 am
Our universe is a physical ideal that popped out of the quantum grey matter of God's brain or consciousness.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:44 am
And I suppose this was all revealed to you by God himself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:46 am
RexRed wrote:
Ok, In science every time we try to look at physical light it "disappears"... so are we to surmise from this that light does not exist? Since we have never been able to look at a light "particle" then how can we say it exists?

Are you really going to put forth that light actually does not exist?

No, science is not hampered by the "disappearance" of light. The inferential evidence is overwhelming, and can produce physical results which one can hold in one's hand. The next time there's an eclipse, take two sheets of paper. Put one on a flat surface, put a pin-hole in the other and hold it 12" above the other, "aiming" it at the sun. (Please, don't look at the corona during the eclipse, i have no reason to wish for you to go blind.) You will burn an image of the corona of the eclipsed star on the second sheet. You have absolutely no reason to claim that i deny the existence of light. Your inability to frame a coherent statement of how science operates is not evidence that i have made any such foolish contention.

Quote:
When we cannot see something in science we measure the effects of it. We measure it's "possibilities".

This is another baseless contention. When we perform measurements, we are quatifying things in a manner subject to replication or falsification. We are not "measuring possibilities," we are quantifying realities.

Quote:
Something was "created" in the big bang...

"The Big Bang" is a sneering term used by someone who did not believe in the theory of the cosmos deriving from a singularity. By the way, it was a Belgian priest who first articulated the concept.

Quote:
"Revelation" is God speaking to us

This is another baseless contention. You have consistently failed to provide any reasonable evidence that a "god" exists. In that, you are exactly like "real life," who touts evidence, but provides none.

Quote:
"Walking by the spirit" is God speaking to us

The word "spirit" itself comes from the word "inspiration" which is God "speaking" to us...

When God speaks it is not imagination but revelation and truth...

This is a string of illicit statements founded on an illicit premise. Your claim about the word spirit is total horsie poop. The word spirit derives from the Latin noun spiritus, meaning breath, and derived from the verb spirare, meaning to breathe. (I'm sure you'll take off on any number of idiotic tangents from that.) When the initial premise is false, all that follows from it is false. And your premises are inevitably false.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:59 am
RexRed wrote:
I do not as a rule make assumptions...

Oh, bullshit. Your entire proposition is founded in nought but assumption; it procceds wholly therefrom. Demonstrate, objectively and in academically sound, forensically valid manner, that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:46 am
I think it's funny tha Vol_Fan06 stopped in for a grand total of 31 posts on A2K and started a thread with over 10k replies and still growing.

Was it the thread title that did it? Coincidence? Random Chance? Natural Selection?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:48 am
It was the will of Dog.

May He lift His Mighty Leg to all of thine enemies.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 01:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
People would not follow into religion if there was not "some" truth...

Nonsense. People have believed the earth is flat (some still do). People believe in "flying saucers." People believe in the Loch Ness Monster. People believe in "the Bermuda triangle." The complete lack of evidence for such beliefs, or the outright contradiction of such beliefs, is good evidence that people will believe any damned nonsense in which there is not a scintilla of truth.

People believe in those things because they have a general belief in the occult. They believe in hidden knowledge and just because we cannot prove things are not so does not rule out the possibility that they are not so...
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 01:40 pm
RexRed wrote:
People believe in those things because they have a general belief in the occult. They believe in hidden knowledge and just because we cannot prove things are not so does not rule out the possibility that they are not so...

You are trying to compare religion, which in general does not reliably seek out and prove that any hidden knowledge exists to science, which seeks out such hidden knowledge and tries to prove that not only that it exists but that it is correct.

Not buying it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 03:32 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nano-tubes
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 05:06 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
I think it's funny tha Vol_Fan06 stopped in for a grand total of 31 posts on A2K and started a thread with over 10k replies and still growing.

Was it the thread title that did it? Coincidence? Random Chance? Natural Selection?
Random Post Theory:
The idea that threads take a random and unpredictable path. A follower of the random post theory believes it's impossible to predict the thread's future.

This theory raised a lot of eyebrows in 1973 when author Chumly Sparkomatic penned "A Random Walk Down Thread Street", which has to this day remained on the top-seller list.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 05:37 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

It is better reasoning with a ghost... Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 05:55 pm
Especially a holy ghost.
0 Replies