Lightwizard

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 12:39 pm
Very Happy QUACK QUACK
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 12:56 pm
How did inanimate organic molecules develop into life despite a hostile environment? Simple; Just add water.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 01:09 pm
I'm astonished at the uneducated naivety of the theologically gullible but I shouldn't be.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 01:33 pm
That sums up how I feel too, and I don't doubt how many religionists feel in reciprocal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 02:45 pm
Chumly wrote:
That sums up how I feel too, and I don't doubt how many religionists feel in reciprocal.

The BIG difference being that religionists continue to rely on a two thousand year old book that's been shown to have too many errors, omissions, and contradictions, while the religionists can't challenge science with anything but their bible. They still can't seem to understand the logic and common sense of all this huge gap in their position.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 08:05 pm
Interesting quote from Jay Ingram of the Discovery Channel:

Quote:
The Earth does look flat; it isn't. The sun appears to revolve around the Earth; it doesn't. Living things appear to have been designed by someone; they aren't.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 09:58 pm
http://news.com.com/Is+evolution+predictable/2100-11395_3-6074543.html
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 10:43 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Interesting quote from Jay Ingram of the Discovery Channel:

Quote:
The Earth does look flat; it isn't. The sun appears to revolve around the Earth; it doesn't. Living things appear to have been designed by someone; they aren't.
Actually the Earth does not look flat because as you travel towards the horizon, even at moderate speeds, it becomes apparent that the horizon moves away. Jay is only a science journalist, and sometimes he's kind'a off. Still a good show though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 01:01 am
Chumly, In the days when people didn't fly in airplanes, the earth looked flat.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 01:24 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Chumly, In the days when people didn't fly in airplanes, the earth looked flat.
Nope, the phenomena I speak of was noticed literally ages before airplanes.

Actually, ancient sailors were probably among the first to know of the curvature of Earth from daily observations; seeing how shore landscape features (or masts of other ships) gradually descend/ascend near the horizon

It is commonly assumed that people from early antiquity generally believed the world was flat, but by the time of Pliny the Elder (1st century) its spherical shape was generally acknowledged. At that time Ptolemy derived his maps from a curved globe and developed the system of latitude and longitude (see clime). His writings remained the basis of European astronomy throughout the Middle Ages.

The common misconception that people before the age of exploration believed that Earth was flat entered the popular imagination after Washington Irving's publication of The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus in 1828. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

That's what I mean about Jay being only a science journalist. I know a bit about electrical stuff in particular, and there too I have seen Jay spout off a bit of nonsense about magnetism, electricity, ohms law etc.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 01:44 am
Chumly, I realized that people of the sea had knowledge about the curvature of the earth before man took flight. My mistake.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:19 am
The ancient Egyptians discovered that the Earth has a curvature by placing stakes along the line of the sun in an array of great distances. The shadow from the sun cast by each pole was recorded as a different length. Anaximander of Miletus, circa 550 BC, had drawn the first known map of the world, at least what the Ionians had discovered up to that time. He drew the map on a cylinder to demonstrate the curvature of the Earth.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:52 am
Seems we have a parallel discussion/digression going on over HERE - what goes 'round comes 'round, I guess Laughing
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 10:11 am
Chumly wrote:
It is commonly assumed that people from early antiquity generally believed the world was flat, but by the time of Pliny the Elder (1st century) its spherical shape was generally acknowledged. At that time Ptolemy derived his maps from a curved globe and developed the system of latitude and longitude (see clime). His writings remained the basis of European astronomy throughout the Middle Ages.

But those who wrote the Bible many years previously believed the earth was flat.

Also, just because some people believed the earth was a sphere did not mean all did. No matter how logical and obvious discoveries may be there will always be an ignorant segment that will cling to the old ways. That would include the authors of the Bible that portraied the earth as flat and modern day creationist. They do have something in common.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 10:57 am
The Earth still is still flat according to the Bible...

Heaven will always be above and hell below... and the plane of the "spiritual" earth is between the two extremes.

One cannot truly understand the physical realm without understanding the spiritual realm.

The earth is the center of the universe and the sun is only a purpose of the earth.. As is the universe created only for benefit of the earth...

All for human beings... which are God's greatest masterpiece.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:03 am
RexRed wrote:

The earth is the center of the universe

Oh boy..... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:06 am
Doktor S wrote:
RexRed wrote:

The earth is the center of the universe

Oh boy..... Rolling Eyes

The earth can encircle the sun but still be central...
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:12 am
So in this vast galaxy, of which the earth is but a speck of dust orbitting one of a hundred billion suns, which it self is but one of hundreds of billions of galaxies in the known universe...
Somehow, earth is the only thing that matters, and the rest was created simply for night time scenery?
If you say so!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:18 am
Doktor S wrote:
So in this vast galaxy, of which the earth is but a speck of dust orbitting one of a hundred billion suns, which it self is but one of hundreds of billions of galaxies in the known universe...
Somehow, earth is the only thing that matters, and the rest was created simply for night time scenery?
If you say so!

Would our sun exist without the universe would our earth exist without the sun? The sun is the purpose of the universe. The earth is the purpose of the sun... Thus, humans are the purpose of the earth...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:47 am
RexRed wrote:
The sun is the purpose of the universe.

No it's not.
RexRed wrote:
The earth is the purpose of the sun.

Nope, that's not true either.
RexRed wrote:
Thus, humans are the purpose of the earth.

Thus, you're making no sense (again).
0 Replies