real life

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:18 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
real, You missed it again! We're talking about evolution and religion, not evolution and Stalin. Can't you read anything without projecting?

I thought your ideal world was evolution without religion, not with. Am I incorrect?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:24 pm
c.i.-

You can spout your BS as long as you wish old boy but Billy Tyndale wrote most of the bible and it's a well known fact.

They caught up with him in Antwerp (I think) and set fire to him.

Try not to get over excited about it will you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:31 pm
Anything that relates to the bible doesn't excite me one iotta; it's 100 percent fiction with no value what-so-ever.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:32 pm
I get more excited by a Archie comic book.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:39 pm
It takes all sorts they say.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:54 pm
And spendi is the prime candidate for drunks and inconsequential posts.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:08 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
The reason I ask is that it relates to our earlier discussion that many so-called 'transitional' or 'intermediate' fossils could simply be examples of interbreeding between two existing species and not necessarily any evidence of an evolutionary transition at all.

So it's your conjecture that the fossil evidence for the Horse lineage (for example), in which gradual morphological changes appear in specific geological periods, is not transitional, but merely interbreeding from existing animals at those times.

So you think there were all these different "horse types" around at the same time, but we just happened to find particular ones at particular times in the geological record. So all the horse ancestors with multiple toes showed up in older geology and all the one toed horses showed up in recent geology, but they all happened to live together and were interbreeding to create mixes, which we also happened to find in sequential geological epochs.

Then of course, there's the "other" theory, the one in which the horses were evolving, over time, and the morphological changes would logically appear in sequence, over that geological spread (evolution), which is exactly what the evidence shows.

Hmmm, let's see, which theory makes more sense....

The so-called Horse series is anything but a clear example of evolutionary progress.

The evolutionary story of the horse is filled with details of 'intermediates' which are not unknown among modern horses, including horses with 3 toes, horses with various numbers of ribs, and horses greatly varying in size from the Fallabella to the Clydesdale.

Species supposedly separated by long periods of time and change (one toed and three toed varieties) are found in the same location.

In some locations the one toed variety (supposedly the more modern species) is found in strata below the three toed (the more 'ancient').

Many evolutionists have expressed grave reservation about the accuracy of the Horse series that is daily put forth in public school textbooks as 'proof' of evolution. But we don't want to let that get in the way of a good story. Kind of like that Recapitulation thing. Lots of evolutionists just can't seem to let it go, though long ago debunked, because it's just too good a story.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:34 pm
real wrote:
Many evolutionists have expressed grave reservation about the accuracy of the Horse series that is daily put forth in public school textbooks as 'proof' of evolution.

Really! Well, give us some examples of this "daily put forth in public school textbooks as 'proof' of evolution.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 07:49 am
Has everyone else lost their email updates? If so any word on if they are trying to bring them back... I am lost without them... Sometimes I hate learning curves... Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 07:50 am
Sometimes?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 08:37 am
Tyndale was just one of the translators of the Bible along with, again incidentally, J. R. R. Tolkien. Neither "wrote" the Bible. Either there is some sly leg pulling consistantly going on in this thread or they're on something.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 08:43 am
rl
Quote:
Species supposedly separated by long periods of time and change (one toed and three toed varieties) are found in the same location.

In some locations the one toed variety (supposedly the more modern species) is found in strata below the three toed (the more 'ancient').

Some more Creationist BS. The location of an earlier form lying beneath a more advanced one in the same location is not so difficult to understand is it? HOWEVER
Im not aware of any case where a primiitive form appears stratigraphically higher than a more advanced one. Even the pre- bird fossils that were supposedly more advanced lying lower in the column , were actually fakes. Can you provide some links or a citation to this ?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 08:58 am
Real

Here's a site on horsey evolution.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/horses/horse_evol.html

Quote:
Evolution does not occur in a straight line toward a goal, like a ladder; rather, evolution is like a branching bush, with no predetermined goal.

Horse species were constantly branching off the "evolutionary tree" and evolving along various unrelated routes. There's no discernable "straight line" of horse evolution. Many horse species were usually present at the same time, with various numbers of toes, adapted to various different diets. In other words, horse evolution had no inherent direction. We only have the impression of straight-line evolution because only one genus happens to still be alive, which deceives some people into thinking that that one genus was somehow the "target" of all the evolution. Instead, that one genus is merely the last surviving branch of a once mighty and sprawling "bush".

Quote:
Creationism utterly fails to explain the sequence of known horse fossils from the last 50 million years. That is, without invoking the "God Created Everything To Look Just Like Evolution Happened" Theory.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 11:02 am
LW wrote:
Tyndale was just one of the translators of the Bible along with, again incidentally, J. R. R. Tolkien. Neither "wrote" the Bible. Either there is some sly leg pulling consistantly going on in this thread or they're on something.

spendi is always onto something; booze. He isn't able to see things as cleary as one would hope, because of his inabiity to differentiate between the original authors of something and translators seems to get confused - all symptoms of a drunk.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:25 pm
Are you a reformed alcoholic or something c.i. You seem a bit obsessed with my strolling down to the pub for the last hour every night.

Quote:
A Brief History of the King James Bible

By Dr. Laurence M. Vance
As the reign of Elizabeth (1558-1603) was coming to a close, we find a draft for an act of Parliament for a new version of the Bible: "An act for the reducing of diversities of bibles now extant in the English tongue to one settled vulgar translated from the original." The Bishop's Bible of 1568, although it may have eclipsed the Great Bible, was still rivaled by the Geneva Bible. Nothing ever became of this draft during the reign of Elizabeth, who died in 1603, and was succeeded by James 1, as the throne passed from the Tudors to the Stuarts. James was at that time James VI of Scotland, and had been for thirty-seven years. He was born during the period between the Geneva and the Bishop's Bible.

One of the first things done by the new king was the calling of the Hampton Court Conference in January of 1604 "for the hearing, and for the determining, things pretended to be amiss in the church." Here were assembled bishops, clergymen, and professors, along with four Puritan divines, to consider the complaints of the Puritans. Although Bible revision was not on the agenda, the Puritan president of Corpus Christi College, John Reynolds, "moved his Majesty, that there might be a new translation of the Bible, because those which were allowed in the reigns of Henry the eighth, and Edward the sixth, were corrupt and not answerable to the truth of the Original."

The king rejoined that he:

"Could never yet see a Bible well translated in English; but I think that, of all, that of Geneva is the worst. I wish some special pains were taken for an uniform translation, which should be done by he best learned men in both Universities, then reviewed by the Bishops, presented to the Privy Council, lastly ratified by the Royal authority, to be read in the whole Church, and none other."

How naive to think it simply a translation.

You can Google the rest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:47 pm
The King James Version is used in the United States, but is by no means the only popular, nor the most popular version. Many of the fundamentalists in this country use more recent versions, which represent new translations. Online resources for the meaning of Hebraic or Israelite passages (represents the two types of script used by the ancient Jews) in the Torah, as well as the meaning of the Greek or Aramaic in Christian era versions are readily available. Our dear friend "real life" has delved into the translations of certain words or phrases before in discussions in the religious threads, as have others.

That old gay boy King of yours is not the sole source for the Bible as it is popularly known, certainly not in the United States, at any event.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 05:06 pm
The only naivity going on here is that "wrote" is not a synonym for "translate" and, granted, many have played the role of editor, taking out what was considered as "superflous" and arbitarily leaving in what suits their purpose.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 05:23 pm
spendi, Don't worry about me being an alcoholic; I drink in moderation compared to you. I don't have a need to have a drink every day.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 05:43 pm
Neither do I.

I have a need to have a laugh with my pals at least once a day and the pub is where we meet. We did once try meeting at the divorcee's ponderosa but a distasteful scandal ensued so we reverted to the pub and in there they look at you as if your off your head if you buy pints of water or lemonade so we have to drink the beer in order to be socially acceptable. The woozie, dreamy feeling it causes is part of the downside and has caused many a one of us to fall by the wayside.

But not me. I can keep my head together most of the time and on the rare occasions I have been weak in that regard I have managed to talk my way out of the obvious difficulties.

You had seemed obsessed though. As if maybe you thought it undermined my ideas or something.

I think a statement has merit on it's qualities,not on whether the author was pissed or not.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 05:50 pm
spendi, All we can determine is your written word. It goes from non-coherence to coherence on a regular basis. From this observation, and the knowledge that you visit the pub daily, any observer would come to the same conclusion; you're a drunk.
0 Replies