spendius

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 03:33 pm
I trust that juxta is purely accidental.

If not it would suggest that Setanta's capacity to mock is improving by leaps and bounds.

But seriously,my previous post was hastily written last night and, as a result, only conveyed a hint of a possible third option. It is a tentative hypothesis and is possibly testable. In the higher animals the female chooses her mate using criteria we males can but dimly discern if so we can at all. Who is to say that the selection process does not continue into the realm of the interface between sperm and egg with spontaneous abortion as a follow up and in extreme cases, which I've seen in cats, the killing of young. I've read that there is a quality to some babies' screaming which creates this urge.

The female picks up signals from the environment which translate biologically into her mate selection process and thus evolution by environment is a possibility using the "unimaginable" stretches of time at her disposal. Marriage customs are a distortion, and it is difficult for a scientist to take such things seriously, but they seemingly have only arisen in the last few thousand years which is a mere blink of the eye in the evolutionary perspective.

It ill behoves a scientific mind to dismiss such a hypothesis out of hand as many people did when evolution by Darwin's mode of natural selection was being mooted.

I wasn't at all saying that this is any more than a tentative hypothesis and it does not rely on any beliefs and the Adam and Eve story could be a perfect metaphor for it.

I think a scientific community of souls would only debunk it with proof of its falsity in classical scientific fashion and would never allow any preconceived ideas to cause them to fall short in applying rigourous scrutiny rather than sloppily starting on the assertion pasting bollocks.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 04:14 pm
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
That whole reply was one big strawman, so I'll not address it point by point.
I've never asserted 'my beliefs' are the correct ones, or even that there are correct beliefs.
It is you that believes in an immutable manual for human existence not I.

Yes I am smarter than most, what of it? Yes, it is plain to me that many have poor reasoning skills and are very gullible. Do you dispute this?
Since you answered no to both questions, surely you don't.
What we have is reason and logic. we can either work with them or against them, but only one way leads to true conclusions.

The difference is that your use of 'reason' and 'logic' has led you to the conclusion that you are god.

I think most would agree that conclusion is not reasonable or logical, so any other use of the terms by you is extremely suspect.

That you are incapable of understanding/enjoy purposefully misrepresenting my stance on autotheism is neither here nor there.This is an extremely weak dodge, as it has absolutely nothing to do with the argument presented.
Weak sauce, real life, as usual.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:57 pm
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
I've never asserted 'my beliefs' are the correct ones, or even that there are correct beliefs.

Yes I am smarter than most, what of it? Yes, it is plain to me that many have poor reasoning skills and are very gullible. Do you dispute this?
What we have is reason and logic. we can either work with them or against them, but only one way leads to true conclusions.

The difference is that your use of 'reason' and 'logic' has led you to the conclusion that you are god.

I think most would agree that conclusion is not reasonable or logical, so any other use of the terms by you is extremely suspect.

That you are incapable of understanding/enjoy purposefully misrepresenting my stance on autotheism is neither here nor there.This is an extremely weak dodge, as it has absolutely nothing to do with the argument presented.

I misrepresent? Let's see.....

Do you, or do you not, refer to yourself as god?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1732651&highlight=autotheism#1732651

Do you, or do you not, make up your own definition for god (yourself) as distinct from any standard definition? Yes, you do.

Communication is usually best when standards of language, including definitions, are observed.

If you tell me that you would like to sell me a 'hammer' and when you finally show the hammer it turns out to be a kumquat, then something vital is distorted in communication.

When you use the word 'god' in a novel way to describe yourself, then your purposeful twisting of language likewise does violence to communication.

You fit no definition of 'god' except the definition that you made up!

Yet you consider yourself 'logical' and skilled in 'reason'.

It's like a child who insists on being called 'little Prince'. It's laughable. You refer to yourself as 'god' , yet supposedly it is I who 'misrepresent' !!

For the same reason, any other communication from you must be considered equally suspect, because who knows what novel definition you may have assigned to other words that are otherwise commonly understood?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:57 pm
set, for what its worth, I got a huge chuckle out of RL's post and your two that immediately follow. Its amazing that when " out-of-contextquotes attack" it aint pretty. Also, the actual placement of the carefully worded article from Time, certainly is evidence enough that care is taken not to jump to conclusions. I suppose that the author of the Time article got a quick field lesson of what was and what was not conclusive at that time.

That was the article about Johannsesn discovery of "Lucy" no?.Perhaps rl will be more careful in selectivity.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 11:20 pm
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

I misrepresent? Let's see.....

Do you, or do you not, refer to yourself as god?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1732651&highlight=autotheism#1732651

Do you, or do you not, make up your own definition for god (yourself) as distinct from any standard definition? Yes, you do.

Communication is usually best when standards of language, including definitions, are observed.

If you tell me that you would like to sell me a 'hammer' and when you finally show the hammer it turns out to be a kumquat, then something vital is distorted in communication.

When you use the word 'god' in a novel way to describe yourself, then your purposeful twisting of language likewise does violence to communication.

You fit no definition of 'god' except the definition that you made up!

Yet you consider yourself 'logical' and skilled in 'reason'.

It's like a child who insists on being called 'little Prince'. It's laughable. You refer to yourself as 'god' , yet supposedly it is I who 'misrepresent' !!

For the same reason, any other communication from you must be considered equally suspect, because who knows what novel definition you may have assigned to other words that are otherwise commonly understood?

That you obviously did not understand my position in that other thread, despite multiple attempts to break it down into baby food for you, is really not my problem. If you think that because my position does not fit into your silly little paradigm disqualifies all my future posts regardless of content is laughably retarded. And yet still, none of this has anything to do with the topic.
What I find especially funny is for one that holds several logically indefensible positions such as you to take the 'more logical than thou' route, especially when you have not once demonstrated even the most rudimentary grasp of what logic is.
You sir, are a comedy act Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 11:26 pm
real wrote:

Let's try "evolution."

Give us your definition.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:24 am
You'll get more convolution, not evolution.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:49 am
real life wrote:
farmerman wrote:
My days home ended today . You boys have been busy stoning each other. Cant we just get along and agree to disagree?

RL, if youd go back, I dont think that an issue of "interbreeding " was an issue . The genetic variation in the foundation species of polar bears was in the Brown bear, a big grizzly. Having end members of a species exist doesnt negate evolution, it actually supports it. Here was a bear , a single bear whose genetic makeup and some of its features were both polar and grizzly. Was there a population of similar hybrids around? or was it, as was suspected a genetic remnant?

Fossils of polar bears do exist, enough , so that the development of the Roman features of the polar bears snout, its paws, its ears, its dentition are all catalogues in he fossil record(just not a lot of them)
Now that the ice is melting, Ive posited that there may be an impending extinction for polar bears unless we can keep the "rootstock" viable in grizzlies or brownies.

I think the discovery of this fella was neat, a "living intermediate"

I didn't see in the article any reference to a 'genetic remnant'. Did I read it too quickly?

Are you saying you do not think the bear was a result of interbreeding of species, but a 'throwback' of sorts?

And we had also had this previously from Pauligirl

Quote:
And it's an on-going process...

http://www.search.com/reference/bear
Occasionally, barren-ground grizzlies are found hunting seals on the sea ice north of the Canadian mainland. The barren-ground grizzlies appear to be brown bear/ polar bear crosses, and could represent an intergrade form...........

Hi Farmerman,

I would still be interested in what you mean by a 'genetic remnant'. Are you saying this bear was some kind of 'throwback' ?

NG has an article stating that DNA testing showed the bear to be the result of interbreeding, that the father was a grizzly and the mother was a polar.

from http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/bear-hybrid-photo.html

Quote:
Photo in the News: Polar Bear-Grizzly Hybrid Discovered

DNA analysis has confirmed that a bear shot in the Canadian Arctic last month is a half-polar bear, half-grizzly hybrid. While the two bear species have interbred in zoos, this is the first evidence of a wild polar bear-grizzly offspring.

Jim Martell ........, a 65-year-old hunter from Idaho, shot the bear April 16 on the southern tip of Banks Island .........., the CanWest News Service reports.

Wildlife officials seized the bear after noticing its white fur was interspersed with brown patches. It also had long claws, a concave facial profile, and a humped back, which are characteristic of a grizzly.

Now the genetic tests have confirmed that the hybrid's father was a grizzly and its mother was a polar bear.

"I don't think anyone expected it to actually happen in the wild," said Ian Stirling, a polar bear expert with the Canadian Wildlife Service in Edmonton.

Polar bears and grizzlies require an extended mating ritual to reproduce, Stirling said. Both live by themselves in large, open habitats.

To prevent wasting their eggs, females ovulate only after spending several days with a male, Stirling explained. "Then they mate several times over several days."

In other words, the mating between the polar bear and grizzly was more than a chance encounter. "That's what makes it quite interesting," he added.

Stirling says the hybrid has no official name, though locals have taken to calling it a "pizzly" and a "grolar bear."

Not sure where you got the info that this was 'suspected to be a genetic remnant' or what you meant by that.

The reason I ask is that it relates to our earlier discussion that many so-called 'transitional' or 'intermediate' fossils could simply be examples of interbreeding between two existing species and not necessarily any evidence of an evolutionary transition at all.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 10:06 am
real life wrote:
The reason I ask is that it relates to our earlier discussion that many so-called 'transitional' or 'intermediate' fossils could simply be examples of interbreeding between two existing species and not necessarily any evidence of an evolutionary transition at all.

So it's your conjecture that the fossil evidence for the Horse lineage (for example), in which gradual morphological changes appear in specific geological periods, is not transitional, but merely interbreeding from existing animals at those times.

So you think there were all these different "horse types" around at the same time, but we just happened to find particular ones at particular times in the geological record. So all the horse ancestors with multiple toes showed up in older geology and all the one toed horses showed up in recent geology, but they all happened to live together and were interbreeding to create mixes, which we also happened to find in sequential geological epochs.

Then of course, there's the "other" theory, the one in which the horses were evolving, over time, and the morphological changes would logically appear in sequence, over that geological spread (evolution), which is exactly what the evidence shows.

Hmmm, let's see, which theory makes more sense....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 10:42 am
real fails to see the inconsistencies in his own opinions about evolution; that blind spot become more pronounced when he tries to evade what is so obvious. It's funny to watch him skirt around what he knows can only be called "evolution."
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:17 pm
Here's something you guys can chew over.

Quote:
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:19 pm
And some more. Don't want to see this thread die.

Quote:
May 17, 2006
Grandma Manimal
Posted by Carl Zimmer

Nothing gets the blood boiling like a manimal. For many people, the idea of breaching the human species barrier--to mingle our biology with that of an animal--seems like a supreme affront to the moral order. In his January state of the union address, President Bush called for a ban on "creating human-animal hybrids."

These so-called chimeras, according to their opponents, devalue humanity by breaching our species barrier. "Human life is a gift from our creator, and that gift should never be discarded, devalued or put up for sale," Bush declared. Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas expanded on this sentiment in his Human Chimera Prohibition Bill of 2005. Chimeras, according to the bill, "blur the lines between human and animal." They must be banned because "respect for human dignity and the integrity of the human species may be threatened by chimeras."

Some opponents cite the Bible as proof that chimeras are wrong--in particular, I Corinthians 15:39: "All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds." Others rely on their own sense of disgust as a reliable guide to the wrongness of chimeras. "When we start to blend the edges of things, we're uneasy," explains Grant Hurlburt, a psychiatrist and member of the President's Council on Bioethics. "That's why chimeric creatures are monsters in mythology in the first place."

So let's imagine, for the sake of argument, that a nefarious plot to create human-ape hybrids was discovered in some distant country. Genetic studies revealed at some point in the past, the DNA of that nation's citizens had been mixed with the DNA from a separate species of ape. The species barrier had been breached, and the contamination had been carried down from generation to generation. Even today a significant amount of DNA in people of that nation could be traced to that hybridization. Horror and condemnation would arise at the discovery that chimeras had been created.

But of course, this is all hypothetical, right?

Perhaps not.

Scientists know a fair amount about how species split apart--including the genetic changes that occur during the split. An old species splits into new ones when one of its populations becomes isolated. The individuals in a population begin to interbreed more with one another than with the rest of the species. When mutations emerge in that population, they don't spread to the rest of the species.

Over time, the population becomes more and more genetically distinct from other members of the species. They may begin to look different, and they may begin to specialize in different ways of getting food. They may still be able to interbreed with other members of their species, at least in theory. But barriers may emerge. A population of plants may begin to flower at a different time of year, for example. Fish may prefer to mate with fish that look more like themselves.

If the population has some contact with the rest of its species, a few hybrids may be produced in each generation. In some cases, they more form a healthy hybrid zone. In other cases, the hybrids may not thrive as well as their parents. Nevertheless, through this interbreeding, genes may flow back and forth over the barrier--even as the barrier is becoming stronger. It may take thousands or millions of years for a new species to bud off completely from an old one.

Most of these insights have emerged from studies on living species--observations on the mating habits of fruit flies, measurements of genetic divergence in wolves, and the like. (See the 2004 book Speciation if you crave the full story.) It's also possible to use these insights to learn about the origin of species in the distant past. What you need is a ton of data--such as genome sequences--from living species, and fossils to provide points of comparison. And thanks to the human genome project--as well as the chimpanzee genome project, and similar efforts to sequence DNA in gorillas, orangutans and other apes--the origin of our own species has become one of the best cases to study. In tomorrow's issue of Nature, a team of scientists from the Broad Institute in Massachusetts present the biggest such study by far.

Before this study, the rough consensus among scientists was that our ancestors diverged from the ancestors of our closest relatives--chimpanzees and bonobos--at some point between five to seven million years ago. That evidence came from studies on DNA, as well as from fossils, such as the oldest hominid fossil, Sahelanthropus, which is estimated to have lived 6.5 to 7.5 million years old. Most scientists argued that the hominids made a relatively clean break from other apes, without any significant hybridizing.

But that's not what has emerged from the new study. The Broad Institute scientists lined up millions of bases of DNA in humans and chimps and measured their differences. Humans and chimpanzees both inherited each segment of DNA from a common ancestor. Over time, the copies of that ancestral segment picked up mutations. The differences between them can offer clues to how long they've been evolving along separate paths. It turns out that the ancestors for some of those segments are much older than others. The only way to make sense of these results, according to the scientists, is to conclude that hominids and the ancestors of chimpanzees were interbreeding--to some extent at least--for four million years.

It's hard to get a fix from the new evidence on exactly when our lineage split from the chimp lineage, and when the interbreeding finally stopped. But the authors do question whether Sahelanthropus and other early hominid fossils represent the start of a distinct line of hominids that remained pure up to living humans. They suggest that the two lineages did split apart, and hominids began to evolve the distinct hominid body (walking upright, perhaps). But later the two populations interbred, mixing their genes. So our genes have a younger ancestry than the fossil record of hominids.

Some of the most intriguing signs of hybridizing comes from the X chromosome, one of the sex determining chromosomes (XX is female, XY is male). The X chromosome contains segments of DNA that have the most recent common ancestry of all the DNA shared by chimps and humans. The scientists suggest that when the ancestors of chimps and humans came back in contact a few million years ago, hybrid males turned out to be infertile--a common pattern in the origin of species among many animals. Only the females remained fertile, returning to their populations to mate and spread the genes from the other species among their own. If they had sons, those males would be fertile. As a result, many old copies of genes on the X chromosomes were lost, and the X chromosomes in today's chimps and humans share a recent ancestry.

Smaller previous studies have suggested hybridization, but they've been rejected by a lot of other experts. It will be interesting to see how this one fares with the critics. I suspect it will be much harder to contest, because the sample is so vast--800 times more DNA than in previous studies. If it holds up, it raises all sorts of fascinating scientific questions. What brought the two lineages back in contact? Were they fleeing some ecological disaster? How did the two populations interact? Why didn't the two lineages collapse back into one species? Did our ancestors evolve some mating preference that turned them away for good? And how did an infusion of chimpanzee-ancestor genes alter the workings of the bodies of our ancestors?

And then there is the matter of the manimals. I'm not trying to says hominids interbreeding with proto-chimpanzees are exactly the same thing as mice with human neurons growing in their heads. Obviously there's a biological difference here, because mice are separated from us by far more evolutionary time. I would just argue that any ethical stand on chimeras has to be in harmony with the scientific evidence. And it doesn't seem as if there's much careful thought behind the call for a total ban on chimeras. Integrity is not essential to a species. It emerges gradually over time, through evolutionary change. And when a new species starts to emerge, its integrity is not a foregone conclusion. Politicians may want to dismiss hybrids between animals or between plants as irrelevant to the issue of human-animal hybrids. Humans are different, the argument goes. It's certainly true that we are different from all other animals in our cognition and other faculties. And it's right to use those differences as a starting point for deciding what the ethics of new biotechnology. But when it comes to the integrity of the human species compared to other animals, there is no difference. That fact remains that our upright hominids apparently intebred with the ancestors of chimpanzees. We are all the children of chimeras.

SOURCE
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:06 pm
Oh, oh, what happens to the christian religion now?
They'll probably continue to ignore evolution with the hopes it'll go away.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:15 pm
xingu wrote:
Here's something you guys can chew over.

Quote:

Very interesting stuff. Genetic analysis is going to provide a lot of good informaiton to work from.

Thanks,
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:23 pm
If this is real and stands scrutiny, a number iof the paleoarcheological types will be searching the 5 to 6 my sediments at Laeotoli.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:27 pm
Isn't it interesting that the people that wrote the bible two thousand years ago didn't have the necessary science or tools to find these evidence of DNA to track the evolution of chimps-humans? They didn't have the wherewithal to do archaeological work in Africa or anywhere else; a bummer for those authors of god and the creation myth.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 05:41 pm
Interesting story to complement xingu's line of discussion.

Stalin, as head of an atheist regime, presumably didn't have the Christian religion as a stumblingblock to his ambitions. I'm sure CI will be comforted by that.

from http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=2434192005

Quote:
Stalin's half-man, half-ape super-warriors
CHRIS STEPHEN AND ALLAN HALL

THE Soviet dictator Josef Stalin ordered the creation of Planet of the Apes-style warriors by crossing humans with apes, according to recently uncovered secret documents.

Moscow archives show that in the mid-1920s Russia's top animal breeding scientist, Ilya Ivanov, was ordered to turn his skills from horse and animal work to the quest for a super-warrior.

According to Moscow newspapers, Stalin told the scientist: "I want a new invincible human being, insensitive to pain, resistant and indifferent about the quality of food they eat."

In 1926 the Politburo in Moscow passed the request to the Academy of Science with the order to build a "living war machine". The order came at a time when the Soviet Union was embarked on a crusade to turn the world upside down, with social engineering seen as a partner to industrialisation: new cities, architecture, and a new egalitarian society were being created.

The Soviet authorities were struggling to rebuild the Red Army after bruising wars.

And there was intense pressure to find a new labour force, particularly one that would not complain, with Russia about to embark on its first Five-Year Plan for fast-track industrialisation.

Mr Ivanov was highly regarded. He had established his reputation under the Tsar when in 1901 he established the world's first centre for the artificial insemination of racehorses.

Mr Ivanov's ideas were music to the ears of Soviet planners and in 1926 he was dispatched to West Africa with $200,000 to conduct his first experiment in impregnating chimpanzees.

Meanwhile, a centre for the experiments was set up in Georgia - Stalin's birthplace - for the apes to be raised.

Mr Ivanov's experiments, unsurprisingly from what we now know, were a total failure. He returned to the Soviet Union, only to see experiments in Georgia to use monkey sperm in human volunteers similarly fail.

A final attempt to persuade a Cuban heiress to lend some of her monkeys for further experiments reached American ears, with the New York Times reporting on the story, and she dropped the idea amid the uproar.

Mr Ivanov was now in disgrace. His were not the only experiments going wrong: the plan to collectivise farms ended in the 1932 famine in which at least four million died.

For his expensive failure, he was sentenced to five years' jail, which was later commuted to five years' exile in the Central Asian republic of Kazakhstan in 1931. A year later he died, reportedly after falling sick while standing on a freezing railway platform.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 05:55 pm
real, You missed it again! We're talking about evolution and religion, not evolution and Stalin. Can't you read anything without projecting?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:02 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
If this is real and stands scrutiny, a number iof the paleoarcheological types will be searching the 5 to 6 my sediments at Laeotoli.

Will the cops be needed to control the crowds?

c.i. wrote-

Quote:
Isn't it interesting that the people that wrote the bible two thousand years ago

Don't be so silly old chap. Bill Tyndale wrote the bible (or the parts the committes of bishops didn't think too over the top). Don't you even know a simple thing like that. You don't think those silly sods from AD dot could have written anything as witty as the bible do you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:07 pm
spendi, You just gotta stop drinking, cause it's taken away all sensibility from your postings on a2k.
0 Replies