Doktor S

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 06:24 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Wine on top of the other drugs? They would have come up with something even more outrageous -- like the Earth was created from a box of Pillsbury cake mix.

How is that any less believable than the earth being poofed into existence by a big man in the sky?
With enough conditioning, brainwashing, preaching and proselytizing, I am convinced the average mind can be convinced of anything...
...Including a world created from the stuff of bakeries and supermarkets...of the gods of course.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 06:36 pm
...where Jesus is a souffle that takes three days to rise ??
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 06:39 pm
What I want to know is how, in the Bible's geocentric universe, God made the sun stand still for 24 hours.

And I wonder if Rex or Real can tall us where those pillars supporting heaven are found.

Was it wine or drugs that made these old-timers write this stuff.

Was it wine or drugs that made church fathers insult God by making him the author of such drivel.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 06:58 pm
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:06 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

So we both would likely agree that the coral and the sedimentary rock atop Everest are evidence that even this area was underwater at one time, right?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:08 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

He was pretty good in "The Aviator" though.....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:11 pm
real, Do you know anything about how mountains are created on earth?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 10:50 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
real life wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

So we both would likely agree that the coral and the sedimentary rock atop Everest are evidence that even this area was underwater at one time, right?

Are you saying you do not agree, or are you simply avoiding the question?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 10:52 pm
real, Do you know how mountains are created on earth? Answer this very simple question, and I'll explain why fossils are found in mountains.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 10:59 pm
DS,

You said,

Quote:
With enough conditioning, brainwashing, preaching and proselytizing, I am convinced the average mind can be convinced of anything...

Who convinced you of this?

Is this an idea that you came up with all on your own without anyone suggesting the idea to you?

How came you to hold your set of beliefs? No doubt discussions with other people and exposure to their ideas, whether through books, lectures, discussion, etc played a large part, no?

Certainly you will say, 'well I thought thru what I heard, and kept or modified what I thought reasonable and discarded what I did not consider reasonable'

Are you assuming that others do not do so simply because they do not agree with your conclusions?

How is your process for arriving at your belief any different from what you are criticizing?

(Hint: It's not.)
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 11:28 pm
Of course it was underwater. It wasn't where it is now either, unless you want to argue that marine sediment deposited close to horizontally, and not vertically downward, the way it does in every ocean today.Pretty peculiar gravity they had then, wasn't it, real life? or of course you might simply admit that the mountains were upthrust in the subduction of the Indian subcontinent, which actually makes sense of the tilt of the deposition layers, and which is still going on and which we can actually observe today. As opposed to creationist fantasies for which there is no observable evidence.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 11:32 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
real life wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
real life wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Are you saying you do not agree, or are you simply avoiding the question?

real, Do you know how mountains are created on earth? Answer this very simple question, and I'll explain why fossils are found in mountains.

Well, you've first sorta indicated that you think it was due to falling sea levels, then it appears you want to address mountain building as the cause.

It seems you're sorta undecided why fossils are found in mountains.

I would recommend you make up your mind before you lecture me or anyone else on the subject.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 11:40 pm
username wrote:
Of course it was underwater. It wasn't where it is now either, .......... or of course you might simply admit that the mountains were upthrust in the subduction of the Indian subcontinent, which actually makes sense of the tilt of the deposition layers .......

I have no disagreement with this process and have said as much numerous times in this thread.

Nearly every region of the Earth shows evidence of having been undersea, which is consistent with what I've said.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 11:46 pm
He was respected and admired because he encouraged and inspired...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 11:47 pm
real life wrote:
Nearly every region of the Earth shows evidence of having been undersea, which is consistent with what I've said.
Latest newsflash just in! 71% of the Earth is covered with water! OMFG it's a miracle!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 12:00 am
I could tell you about hallowed spiritual experiences with God and his people that most people only dream about...

I was once a missionary... I can tell you stories... I have witnessed the very best of the holy spirit.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 12:40 am
RexRed wrote:
I could tell you about hallowed spiritual experiences with God and his people that most people only dream about...

I was once a missionary... I can tell you stories... I have witnessed the very best of the holy spirit.

a) You know this to be true
b) You know this to be a lie
c) It's not true, but you don't realise it

My money is, of course, on c)

How I would love a way of knowing the answer. If only there was a way of determining the objective truth of the matter.....! Why do gods always hide when scientists arrive? You'd think it would be the other way around.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 12:53 am
Heyah RexRed,
Do you agree 100% with everything real life says or are there some differences? If so what are the biggest ones?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 01:00 am
Chumly wrote:
Heyah RexRed,

Do you agree 100% with everything real life says or are there some differences? If so what are the biggest ones?

RL deserves the right to his own space from my own superlative analysis. The gaping hole lies in the godlessness here of which RL is not necessarily a party...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 01:01 am
The apparent godlessness of the entire universe doesn't bother you at all?
0 Replies