timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 02:57 pm
RexRed wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Just because many claim - earnestly and perhaps in all honesty - to have seen the Loch Ness Monster does not mean such a critter exists, and while such a critter might exist, all indications are it does not.

That doesn't mean there's no reason to seek confirmation of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster, that simply means that the existence of the Loch Ness Monster has not been demonstrated.

It, the Loch Ness Monster, remains undemonstrated, and in that the requisite condition is not demonstrated, no argument proceeding from the premis that the Loch Ness Monster exists can be valid. Same thing.

So are you also beginning your premise that a deities power cannot be demonstrated? That is a biased approach especially for someone scientifically minded... Smile

Not at all. I assert no such thing ever has been demonstrated; no bias entailed or implied, simple statement of verifiable fact.

Quote:
I speak in tongues... I can demonstrate the power of God in me and it is something that can be witnessed and I can do it at any time I choose...

Glossolalia has been demonstrated to be within an academic certainty nothing more nor less than a form of hysteria. For but one among many examples:

... glossolalia consists of strings of meaningless syllables made up of sounds taken from those familiar to the speaker and put together more or less haphazardly .... Glossolalia is language-like because the speaker unconsciously wants it to be language-like. Yet in spite of superficial similarities, glossolalia fundamentally is not language ... "
Samarin, William T. (Former Chair, Department of Linguistics, former Professor Emeritus, Anthropology, University of Toronto, ): The Linguisticality of Glossolalia
Hartford Quarterly No.8, Vol 4 (1968):49-75

quoted (p 108) in Looking for a Miracle: Weeping Icons, Relics, Stigmata, Visions & Healing Cures: Nickell, J
Prometheus, Amherst NY (1993)
ISBN 0879758406

Dispute that if you wish, you cannot refute it, nor any of the myriad other published academic and scientific findings that glossolalia is a manifestation of a particular hysteria, associated with bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, and other abberations of the mind.

Quote:
Who in this forum has ever witnessed a person receiving the holy spirit for the first time... (new born babe) Smile

So it is no wonder you do not "believe"... It is simply a lack of spiritual experiences.

That you or others may attach significance and substance to "spiritual experience" in no way alters the fact there exists no objective, academically valid empirical evidence for any such thing or condition as "spiritual experience" being anything other than a manifested form of hysteria - the simple product of a cognitive disconnect, a disconnect apparently hardwired into the minds of "true believers", disabling them from recognizing, accepting, and dealing with reality.

Quote:
I had a friend that was visiting the other day and most of our discussions have been of a secular nature.

But... I got on the subject of the apostle Paul. (as I have a propensity of doing.)

I started quoting this as best I could from memory...

Acts 26:
16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; 17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Comment:
I was reciting this so I was a bit occupied and had not noticed my friend crying...

Anecdote is not evidence, nor is proselytizing a form of argument. You preach, you do not examine or discuss.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:09 pm
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
No, rl, it is those of your mindset who have problems with fact and reason - let me rephrase that - have A problem with reason and fact; to such as endorse the proposition you forward, reason and fact are foreign concepts - that is the problem. That which does not comport with the fairytale of which they are convinced must be dismissed. ID-iots do not propose, nor even seek, answers; they are unwilling to attempt, even incapable of, an understanding the questions.

Demonstrate objectively and in forensically valid manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.

Another 'you guys are stupid' , name-calling response from Timber.

So what else is new?

No, rl, not at all. However, there is nothing new in mischaracterization of negative assessment of a statement, argument, or assertion as personal attack. Infer as you wish, should you find that inferrence more convenient or otherwise more readily achievable than substantively responsive address of the counter argument presented.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:25 pm
timber-

What about all the people who go to Loch Ness in the hope of seeing the monster.It is a fairly big asset to the Scottish Tourist Board. If they hired The Pope he could probably make it bigger but his fees are probably too much and the weather up there was unpopular with the Romans.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:49 pm
Good points, spendi.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:51 pm
timberlandko wrote:
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
No, rl, it is those of your mindset who have problems with fact and reason - let me rephrase that - have A problem with reason and fact; to such as endorse the proposition you forward, reason and fact are foreign concepts - that is the problem. That which does not comport with the fairytale of which they are convinced must be dismissed. ID-iots do not propose, nor even seek, answers; they are unwilling to attempt, even incapable of, an understanding the questions.

Demonstrate objectively and in forensically valid manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.

Another 'you guys are stupid' , name-calling response from Timber.

So what else is new?

No, rl, not at all. However, there is nothing new in mischaracterization of negative assessment of a statement, argument, or assertion as personal attack. Infer as you wish, should you find that inferrence more convenient or otherwise more readily achievable than substantively responsive address of the counter argument presented.

If you actually have a reasoned argument to put forward other than 'you guys are idiots' and 'you guys listen to fairytales' and 'you guys don't recognize fact and reason' --- then by all means, address the topic (Evolution) and make your argument.

We're currently discussing the dinosaur bones that have soft tissue in them even though they are supposed to be 60+ million years old.

Have you got a relevant argument or comment about that (other than to imply as you did before that this was nothing new and that the researcher was simply unfamiliar with developments in her specialty. But of course you were more familiar than she was!) , or am I wasting my time asking?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:55 pm
Actually, we were quite diligently discussing your flood fairy tales, until your embarrassment grew to the a point at which you wanted to change the subject.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 04:22 pm
rl, it is neither my fault nor my concern should you or anyone else fail or refuse to recognize reasoned, factual, documented, scientifically and academically valid evidence such as has been here presented ad infinitum. Nor do I much care that you or others tapdance around the refutations and demonstrated absurdities of religionist propositions as opposed to providing any valid support for the ridiculous assertions made by, unfounded allegations presented by, ignorance displayed by, in behalf of, and on the part of the religionists engaged in this discussion.

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 05:05 pm
Chumly wrote:
RexRed wrote:
A bud must be tender to sprout and bloom...
Humorous Interpretation:

Hey bud you must be soft to spout and spume...

That does rather change the intended meaning...

Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 05:07 pm
timberlandko wrote:
rl, it is neither my fault nor my concern should you or anyone else fail or refuse to recognize reasoned, factual, documented, scientifically and academically valid evidence such as has been here presented ad infinitum. Nor do I much care that you or others tapdance around the refutations and demonstrated absurdities of religionist propositions as opposed to providing any valid support for the ridiculous assertions made by, unfounded allegations presented by, ignorance displayed by, in behalf of, and on the part of the religionists engaged in this discussion.

Science is inadequate to "study" God...

Like the model Ford trying to study Henry...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 05:17 pm
real life wrote-

Quote:
We're currently discussing the dinosaur bones that have soft tissue in them even though they are supposed to be 60+ million years old.

No wonder I don't understand it.I thought we were discussing the soft tissue of something a bit younger than that. Isn't the soft tissue in 60+ millions years old dinosaurs not considered a wee bit kinky anymore.

Maybe I've lost the plot.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 05:51 pm
RexRed wrote:
Like the model Ford trying to study Henry...

Red herring, Rex - your "model Ford" is not sentient. Then again, if your comparison were to be between ID-iots and some object of study ...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:03 pm
timber-

Have you read The World's Desire by Sir Henry Rider Haggard KCMG.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:48 pm
Indeed I have, spendi - I've read much of Howard (and Lang, his collaborater on that and many other pieces) - Haggard's adventures enthralled me as a youth. I have a 1910 copy (about 20 years younger than the work's original publication) of World's Desire right here -

Come with us, ye whose hearts are set
On this, the Present to forget;
Come read the things whereof ye know
They were not, and could not be so!
The murmur of the fallen creeds,
Like winds among wind-shaken reeds
Along the banks of holy Nile,
Shall echo in your ears the while;
The fables of the North and South
Shall mingle in a modern mouth;
The fancies of the West and East
Shall flock and flit about the feast
Like doves that cooled, with waving wing,
The banquets of the Cyprian king.
Old shapes of song that do not die
Shall haunt the halls of memory,
And though the Bow shall prelude clear
Shrill as the song of Gunnar's spear,
There answer sobs from lute and lyre
That murmured of The World's Desire.

There lives no man but he hath seen
The World's Desire, the fairy queen.
None but hath seen her to his cost,
Not one but loves what he has lost.
None is there but hath heard her sing
Divinely through his wandering;
Not one but he has followed far
The portent of the Bleeding Star;
Not one but he hath chanced to wake,
Dreamed of the Star and found the Snake.
Yet, through his dreams, a wandering fire,
Still, still she flits, THE WORLD'S DESIRE!

I've read a bit of his correspondence, and some of his social treatises and histories, as well as his autobiography,a nd sadly must report I feel he was much better when making stuff up.

I'd have responded sooner, but it took a while to find the damned book and type that out Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
By the way, i am not claiming to be an expert on naval architecture, either. However, i am a student of history, and one to the longest abiding interests in history which i have is naval history.

I assert, without equivocation, that the vessel you're plumping for was simply not possible.

How did old Noah keep the secret from his neighbors for over a century? You know, people will talk.

I don't think he tried to keep it secret. The Bible describes Noah as 'a preacher of righteousness' who by his deeds 'witnessed to the ancient world'.

BTW the term 'preacher of righteousness' doesn't mean Noah was sinless. Far from it, as the Bible itself plainly shows. That's why Noah 'found grace in the eyes of the Lord'.

I suspect your text--witnessed to the ancient world? How quaint. Got a citation for that?

I find it hilarious, though, that your response to absurdities is to pile up yet more absurdity.

Let's have a discussion about how long Bugs Bunny can stand in thin air after walking off a cliff.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:18 pm
That's easy . . . just as long as it takes to run the gag . . .

Uh oh . . . we could be here for millenia . . .
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:12 pm
Some comment about this idiotic flood story.

Quote:
1. Building the Ark
Wood is not the best material for shipbuilding. It is not enough that a ship be built to hold together; it must also be sturdy enough that the changing stresses don't open gaps in its hull. Wood is simply not strong enough to prevent separation between the joints, especially in the heavy seas that the Ark would have encountered. The longest wooden ships in modern seas are about 300 feet, and these require reinforcing with iron straps and leak so badly they must be constantly pumped. The ark was 450 feet long [ Gen. 6:15]. Could an ark that size be made seaworthy?

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html#building

Quote:
But let's grant that Noah was able to collect all the birds and mammals, reptiles, and amphibians, and a couple of million insects that he is said to have gathered together on his boat. There is still the problem of keeping the animals from eating one another. Or, are we to believe that the lion was lying down with the lamb on the ark? Did the carnivores become vegetarians for the duration of the flood? How did he keep the birds from eating the insects? Perhaps the ark was stocked with foods for all the animals. After all, if Noah could engineer the building of a boat which could hold all those animals, it would have been a small feat to add room to store enough food to last for more than six months. Of course, Noah would have to store enough food for himself and his family, too. But these would have been minor details to such a man with such a plan guided by God.

Still, it seems difficult to imagine how such a small crew could feed all these animals in a single day. There is just Noah, his wife, their three sons and three daughters-in-law. The "daily" rounds would take years, it seems. Delicacy forbids me from mentioning the problems of the "clean-up" detail, but I would have to say that if the noise of all those animals didn't drive Noah insane (not to mention the insect bites), the smell should have killed him. At least they didn't have to worry about water to drink. God provided water in abundance.

Finally, belief in the universal flood or even belief in the building of the ark are not nearly as strange as the belief that this event of mass destruction was the direct work of the Creator to show anger at people who would dare to enjoy this life and have a good time rather than spend all their free time worshipping the Almighty.

http://skepdic.com/noahsark.html
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:23 pm
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:07 pm
xingu wrote:
Some comment about this idiotic flood story.

Quote:
1. Building the Ark
Wood is not the best material for shipbuilding. It is not enough that a ship be built to hold together; it must also be sturdy enough that the changing stresses don't open gaps in its hull. Wood is simply not strong enough to prevent separation between the joints, especially in the heavy seas that the Ark would have encountered. The longest wooden ships in modern seas are about 300 feet, and these require reinforcing with iron straps and leak so badly they must be constantly pumped. The ark was 450 feet long [ Gen. 6:15]. Could an ark that size be made seaworthy?

So since this source doesn't understand how it could be done, does it follow that it cannot be done?

Aren't there a number of ancient structures that still are difficult for us to explain how they were constructed many thousands of years ago, and yet there they are?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:11 pm
real life wrote:

So since this source doesn't understand how it could be done, does it follow that it cannot be done?

That's funny coming from you, on this particular thread.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:35 pm
rl, while the precise particular manner in which this, that, or another existing ancient structure may have been erected remain matters of debate and dispute, any number of perfectly plausible methodologies, consistent with contemporary technology and cultural development have been proposed, and many actually demonstrated. We may not know exactly how the ancients built The Pyramids, or Stonehenge, or the Cahokia Mounds, but we know doing so was well within the builder's capabilities. We know too that building a watercraft of the nature proposed by your fairytale not only was beyond the capabilities of its purported builders, but that the properties of the available building materials preclude any such construction, and that such a craft could not be built and made seaworthy today of those materials given modern technology.

Of course, those of your persuasion have an answer ready-made to refute mere logic, reason, and factual evidence: "It was a miracle".
0 Replies