real life

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:27 am
Setanta wrote:
By the way, i am not claiming to be an expert on naval architecture, either. However, i am a student of history, and one to the longest abiding interests in history which i have is naval history.

I assert, without equivocation, that the vessel you're plumping for was simply not possible.

How did old Noah keep the secret from his neighbors for over a century? You know, people will talk.

I don't think he tried to keep it secret. The Bible describes Noah as 'a preacher of righteousness' who by his deeds 'witnessed to the ancient world'.

BTW the term 'preacher of righteousness' doesn't mean Noah was sinless. Far from it, as the Bible itself plainly shows. That's why Noah 'found grace in the eyes of the Lord'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:29 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
By the way, i am not claiming to be an expert on naval architecture, either. However, i am a student of history, and one to the longest abiding interests in history which i have is naval history.

I assert, without equivocation, that the vessel you're plumping for was simply not possible.

How did old Noah keep the secret from his neighbors for over a century? You know, people will talk.

I don't think he tried to keep it secret. The Bible describes Noah as 'a preacher of righteousness' who by his deeds 'witnessed to the ancient world'.

BTW the term 'preacher of righteousness' doesn't mean Noah was sinless. Far from it, as the Bible itself plainly shows. That's why Noah 'found grace in the eyes of the Lord'.

I suspect your text--witnessed to the ancient world? How quaint. Got a citation for that?

I find it hilarious, though, that your response to absurdities is to pile up yet more absurdity.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:56 am
Preach on -- it can only be designed to convince onceself that the facts of evolution are guesses and they would have us believe they aren't even educated guesses. It's a blind faith that all those events in the Bible, more especially in the Old Testament, have but very little historic proof, nor any kind of geological proof or any other kind of proof whatsoever. Yada, yada, yada in the pulpit as much as one wants, it's not in the least believable or, better yet, thinkable.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:52 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Preach on -- it can only be designed to convince onceself that the facts of evolution are guesses and they would have us believe they aren't even educated guesses. It's a blind faith that all those events in the Bible, more especially in the Old Testament, have but very little historic proof, nor any kind of geological proof or any other kind of proof whatsoever. Yada, yada, yada in the pulpit as much as one wants, it's not in the least believable or, better yet, thinkable.

Go ahead, Lightwiz. I'm listening.

Have you got some honest-to-goodness unambiguous, can't-be-interpreted-any-other-way facts for evolution?

Most all of what I've seen is circumstantial and inferential.

If you've got some real smokin' gun evidence that it has to be evolution and it could NOT have happened any other way, then lay it on us.

Basically you would have to show that the evidence you propose could ONLY have been produced by evolution, that it couldn't possibly have happened by creation or by any other means.

That would qualify it as fact.

Otherwise, I think you're using the word 'fact' in a way that is not supportable.

Maybe you meant 'theory', eh?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:36 pm
No, rl, it is those of your mindset who have problems with fact and reason - let me rephrase that - have A problem with reason and fact; to such as endorse the proposition you forward, reason and fact are foreign concepts - that is the problem. That which does not comport with the fairytale of which they are convinced must be dismissed. ID-iots do not propose, nor even seek, answers; they are unwilling to attempt, even incapable of, an understanding the questions.

Demonstrate objectively and in forensically valid manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:45 pm
timberlandko wrote:
No, rl, it is those of your mindset who have problems with fact and reason - let me rephrase that - have A problem with reason and fact; to such as endorse the proposition you forward, reason and fact are foreign concepts - that is the problem. That which does not comport with the fairytale of which they are convinced must be dismissed. ID-iots do not propose, nor even seek, answers; they are unwilling to attempt, even incapable of, an understanding the questions.

Demonstrate objectively and in forensically valid manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.

Superstition is man made (for the most part) , religion is man made (also, for the most part) but truth is purely God made...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:52 pm
Sorry, Rex, that don't cut it. Petitio Principii cannot support an argument; it simply runs in circles, chasing its own tale (and yes, I mean "tale", as in fairytale, not "tail" as in caudal appendage).
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:54 pm
Quote:
Superstition is man made (for the most part) , religion is man made (also, for the most part) but truth is purely God made...

Truth is subjective and man made. What is truth to one is a lie to another. But both will claim God as the author.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:54 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Sorry, Rex, that don't cut it. Petitio Principii cannot support an argument; it simply runs in circles, chasing its own tale (and yes, I mean "tale", as in fairytale, not "tail" as in caudal appendage).

That is a matter of an "opinion" which do not share...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:56 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:

Truth is subjective and man made. What is truth to one is a lie to another. But both will claim God as the author.

Truth has a solid virtue that a counterfeit does not possess.

We all can't ultimately be right.

God is not the author of confusion...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:02 pm
Unity of mind can never be achieved without ultimate truth.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:04 pm
RexRed wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

That is a matter of an "opinion" which do not share...

Demonstrate that be not a factual statement but rather opinion or conjecture.

I submit that a premis dependendent on [Petitio Principii[/i] be an illicit premise, invalidating the proposition proceeding from it, and I submit that in the absence of unambiguous, incontestable, independently verifiable, empirical confirmative evidence, the proposition that there be a deity or deities is perforce an assumption, not a fact.

I submit that none of the foregoing is opinion, but that it is fact.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:11 pm
timberlandko wrote:
RexRed wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

That is a matter of an "opinion" which I do not share...

Demonstrate that be not a factual statement but rather opinion or conjecture.

I submit that a premis dependendent on [Petitio Principii[/i] be an illicit premise, invalidating the proposition proceeding from it, and I submit that in the absence of unambiguous, incontestable, independently verifiable, empirical confirmative evidence, the proposition that there be a deity or deities is perforce an assumption, not a fact.

I submit that none of the foregoing is opinion, but that it is fact.

What would make one so certain that the belief in a deity would not be accompanied with some sort of witnessable experience that the "believer" observes the verity of God in some concrete form?

Does your view of a deity begin with the premise that all deities are mute? Just because God has not revealed himself to you does not mean that God does not exist. Just because someone claims to have seen God does not make it true but it does not make it false either.

Let the truth be what the truth is... Whatever that truth is, there will also be God...
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:15 pm
Rex,
Tell me. You are so convinced, yet you don't provide anything convincing. Why is that?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:17 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Rex,
Tell me. You are so convinced, yet you don't provide anything convincing. Why is that?

Maybe you have hardened your heart?

A bud must be tender to sprout and bloom...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:20 pm
Just because many claim - earnestly and perhaps in all honesty - to have seen the Loch Ness Monster does not mean such a critter exists, and while such a critter might exist, all indications are it does not.

That doesn't mean there's no reason to seek confirmation of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster, that simply means that the existence of the Loch Ness Monster has not been demonstrated.

It, the Loch Ness Monster, remains undemonstrated, and in that the requisite condition is not demonstrated, no argument proceeding from the premis that the Loch Ness Monster exists can be valid. Same thing.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:33 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Just because many claim - earnestly and perhaps in all honesty - to have seen the Loch Ness Monster does not mean such a critter exists, and while such a critter might exist, all indications are it does not.

That doesn't mean there's no reason to seek confirmation of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster, that simply means that the existence of the Loch Ness Monster has not been demonstrated.

It, the Loch Ness Monster, remains undemonstrated, and in that the requisite condition is not demonstrated, no argument proceeding from the premis that the Loch Ness Monster exists can be valid. Same thing.

So are you also beginning your premise that a deities power cannot be demonstrated? That is a biased approach especially for someone scientifically minded... Smile

I speak in tongues... I can demonstrate the power of God in me and it is something that can be witnessed and I can do it at any time I choose...

Who in this forum has ever witnessed a person receiving the holy spirit for the first time... (new born babe) Smile

So it is no wonder you do not "believe"... It is simply a lack of spiritual experiences.

I had a friend that was visiting the other day and most of our discussions have been of a secular nature.

But... I got on the subject of the apostle Paul. (as I have a propensity of doing.)

I started quoting this as best I could from memory...

Acts 26:
16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; 17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Comment:
I was reciting this so I was a bit occupied and had not noticed my friend crying...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 02:06 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Another 'you guys are stupid' , name-calling response from Timber.

So what else is new?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 02:12 pm
RexRed wrote:
A bud must be tender to sprout and bloom...
Humorous Interpretation:

Hey bud you must be soft to spout and spume...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 02:33 pm
Looks like Dr Schweitzer has been busy in the last year, finding soft tissue in more than a dozen dinosaur bones.

Wooly mammoths too. Cool.

see http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/02/0221_060221_dino_tissue.html

To be fair, she has suggested a theory to explain the phenomenon -- it is that an unusual type of polymerization could be protecting these tissues from decay.

So far, apparently no test has confirmed the existence of these polymers however. Should be chemically evident if they exist, I would think.
0 Replies