Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:44 am
One of the most astounding discoveries was the winged, feathered small dinosaur, the ancestor of birds:

http://www.evolutionpages.com/microraptor%20gui.htm
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:49 am
timberlandko wrote:
real life wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:
real life wrote:

Apparently, soft tissue has been found in several more instances.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050325100541.htm

"We may not really know as much about how fossils are preserved as we think," says Schweitzer. "Our preliminary research shows that antibodies that recognize collagen react to chemical extracts of this fossil bone. If further studies confirm this, we may have the potential to learn more not only about the dinosaurs themselves, but also about how and why they were preserved in the first place."

It doesn't change the age of the fossil, just a question of the process itself.

P

Well, naturally we wouldn't want to let any facts challenge accepted theory.

Poppycock. A number of theories are being reevaluated in light of Schweitzer's discoveries. That is what real science is about, it is how and why it works. Incidentally, Schweitzer did not claim to have found "dinosaur blood vesels", but rather to have discovered evidence of something not inconsistent with a type of vascular tissue today peculiar to ovulating birds, and something not inconsistent with hemeglobin-bearing cells. Here's an article discussing that, as well as shedding a bit more light on the find itself, the methodology of Schweitzer's research, and its relationship to and confirmation of earlier work.

Blood From A stone (Note: 6 page .pdf)

A teaser:
Quote:
... A pathologist attending her talk pointed out that the sample contained something that looked like red bloodcells. Callis returned the sample to Schweitzer, who peered at it through her microscope with amixture of heart-stopping wonder and complete disbelief. Horner was summoned; he askedSchweitzer if she thought she really had foundpreserved dinosaur blood cells. "No," she told him.

"Fine," he said. "Then prove that they're not." ...

Interesting that this incident you promote as a 'teaser' actually is from 15 years ago when the researcher was a grad student.

Schweitzer was examining a different sample, unrelated to the recent ones under discussion that have been identified as containing soft tissue.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:51 am
I suppose this is one of the one's that didn't make it to the ark.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:25 am
Two brontosaurs on an ark -- must have been a really large ark. Noah would have to keep them on either side or we'd have had an ancient Poseidon Adventure.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:37 am
real life wrote:
Interesting that this incident you promote as a 'teaser' actually is from 15 years ago when the researcher was a grad student.

Schweitzer was examining a different sample, unrelated to the recent ones under discussion that have been identified as containing soft tissue.

real life,

What is your interpretation of the soft tissue?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:38 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Two brontosaurs on an ark -- must have been a really large ark. Noah would have to keep them on either side or we'd have had an ancient Poseidon Adventure.

Why do you assume that they had to be full grown?

For many practical reasons (space, food, managability, cleanup, breeding ), it would have been possible and reasonable to have younger, immature representatives of the larger species on board.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:48 am
One wonders what size you assume juvenile brontosaurs to have been. What about all the large species--all juveniles? That goes for all the ungulates, all the carnivores? And say, how did he deal with the rather understandable antipathy that grazing species would be likely to show for carnivores? If there were no evolutionary forces in action, what about the different varieties of buffaloes, of elephants, of rhinocerii? Two of each, remember--and in an awfully small vessel by any account. So all the birds just flew around for forty days, with nothing to eat? And all acquatic species just rose with the rising water (else they'd have been crushed by water pressure), and survived without any food for forty days?

Sayh, that reminds me--how did he feed all those critters? One think about such a silly story is the complete lack of imagination shown. Children, very small children, might fall for such claptrap . . .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:57 am
Setanta wrote:
One wonders what size you assume juvenile brontosaurs to have been. What about all the large species--all juveniles? That goes for all the ungulates, all the carnivores? And say, how did he deal with the rather understandable antipathy that grazing species would be likely to show for carnivores? If there were no evolutionary forces in action, what about the different varieties of buffaloes, of elephants, of rhinocerii? Two of each, remember--and in an awfully small vessel by any account. So all the birds just flew around for forty days, with nothing to eat? And all acquatic species just rose with the rising water (else they'd have been crushed by water pressure), and survived without any food for forty days?

Sayh, that reminds me--how did he feed all those critters? One think about such a silly story is the complete lack of imagination shown. Children, very small children, might fall for such claptrap . . .

How big do you think the ark (as described) was?

And where does it say there was nothing aboard to eat?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:21 am
oh my god please dont tell me, no please its just too horrendous to contemplate, dont tell me someone here actually believes in the literal truth of noah and his ark?

You are having a laugh real life? You are winding people like me up is that it?

Yeah ok of course you were, I'm really quite naive sometimes Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:22 am
I did not claim that there were nothing on board to eat--i was just pointing out that to have had two of every species known in this world on board, and all the provender which would have been required, stretches the credulity, given the dimensions.

Given dimensions of 300 cubits by 50 cubits by 30 cubits, that's smaller than a modern destroyer--even if one assumes the largest "cubit" known, of about 23 inches (US Standard inches, of course).

http://www.spear.navy.mil/profile/profile/jan01/photo/destroyer.jpg

Now that may look impressive, and even being generous, and suggesting the ark claimed to have existed had anything like the capacity of the ship shown above, lets do a little real thinking about this.

In the Wikipedia article on deer, the following subfamilies of cervidea are listed:

The family Cervidae is organized as follows:

* Subfamily Hydropotinae
o Chinese Water Deer (Hydroptes inermis)
* Subfamily Muntiacinae (mostly Muntjacs)
o Bornean Yellow Muntjac (Muntiacus atherodes)
o Black Muntjac (Muntiacus crinifrons)
o Fea's Muntjac (Muntiacus feae)
o Gongshan Muntjac (Muntiacus gongshanensis)
o Indian Muntjac (Muntiacus muntjac)
o Leaf Muntjac (Muntiacus putaoensis)
o Reeves' Muntjac (Muntiacus reevesi)
o Truong Son Muntjac (Muntiacus trungsonensis)
o Giant Muntjac (Muntiacus vuquangensis)
o Tufted Deer (Elaphodus cephalophus)

* Subfamily Cervinae
o White-lipped Deer or Thorold's Deer (Cervus albirostris)
o Philippine Spotted Deer or Visayan Spotted Deer (Cervus alfredi)
o Barasingha (Cervus duvaucelii)
o Red Deer (Cervus elaphus) -- called elk or wapiti in America
o Thamin (Cervus eldii)
o Philippine Sambar or Philippine Brown Deer (Cervus mariannus)
o Sika Deer (Cervus nippon)
o Sunda Sambar or Rusa deer (Cervus timorensis)
o Sambar Deer (Cervus unicolor)
o Chital (Axis axis)
o Calamian Deer (Axis calamianensis)
o Bawean Deer (Axis kuhlii)
o Hog Deer (Axis porcinus)
o Père David's Deer (Elaphurus davidianus)
o Fallow Deer (Dama dama)
o Persian Fallow Deer (Dama mesopotamica)
* Subfamily Capreolinae
o Roe Deer (Capreolus capreolus)
o Moose (Alces alces)
o Mule Deer (Odocoileus hemionus)
o White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus)
o Pampas Deer (Ozotoceros bezoarticus)
o Red Brocket (Mazama americana)
o Merioa Brocket (Mazama bricenii)
o Dwarf Brocket (Mazama chunyi)
o Grey Brocket (Mazama gouazoubira)
o Pygmy Brocket (Mazama nana)
o Yucatan Brown Brocket (Mazama pandora)
o Little Red Brocket (Mazama rufina)
o Northern Pudu (Pudu mephistophiles)
o Southern Pudu (Pudu pudu)
o Marsh Deer (Blastocerus dichotomus)
o Peruvian Guemal or North Andean Deer (Hippocamelus antisensis)
o Chilean Huemul or South Andean Deer (Hippocamelus bisulcus)
o Caribou/Reindeer (Rangifer tarandus)

Now that's just deer, among all the grazing animals. No elk, no antelope, no buffalo, no bison (not at all the same creature as buffalo), no cattle--and that doesn't include the megaceros and giant elk and other species for which we have fossil remains, but none of the living survivors. Remember, this is just the grazing animals.

Shall we consider how many hunting cats there were, and how ol' Noah an' the boys (when they weren't laughing at him in his drunkenness) were gonna keep those huntin' cats off the grazing animals?

Gets kinda dicey for your proposition. Just the cervidea listed here are gonna fill the fantail of that destroyer to overflowing--never mind their grub. That's without all the other grazin' animals, and no elephants or rhinocerii, either. And you cannot but claim that all these creatures were aboard--unless you're willing to stipulate an evolutionary process subsequent to the flood event.

We've not even considered dinosaurs yet, juvenile or otherwise.

Grow up.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:25 am
That's a riot.

Put all the varied animals in the world, including the dinosaurs and all the animals that existed before the dinosaurs on the ark.

Include all the different foods they eat, including the speciality foods that will last them, for how long; four months? Six months?

What about the carnivores?

Tell you what Real. There's a minister building a life size ark in my home state of Maryland off Interstate 68. When he's done,and if he ever gets done, why don't you collect all the animals in the world and see if you can fit them and their food in the ark. You should have a lot of room to spare when you think about all the animals that have become extinct in the last 4300 years.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:26 am
Quote:

http://xerraireart.com/blog/
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:33 am
wandeljw wrote:
real life wrote:

real life,

What is your interpretation of the soft tissue?

Well, just looking at the article in Science Daily:

Quote:
Not only is the tissue largely intact, it's still transparent and pliable, and microscopic interior structures resembling blood vessels and even cells are still present.

Quote:
But the team was surprised by what actually happened when they removed the minerals from the T. rex femur fragment. The removal process left behind stretchy bone matrix material that, when examined microscopically, seemed to show blood vessels, osteocytes, or bone building cells, and other recognizable organic features.

Quote:
Schweitzer compared the findings from the T. rex with structures found in modern-day ostriches. In both samples, transparent branching blood vessels were present

We're not talking just unrecognizable protoplasm here.

I think it makes it very difficult to suppose that these bones are 60-80 million years old.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:43 am
real life wrote:
I think it makes it very difficult to suppose that these bones are 60-80 million years old.

That is a fair answer, real life. I won't press you any further because of the relentless teasing today on this thread. (You're a good sport!)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:57 am
It's not as hard to believe than the Grand Canyon being carved out in a little over a month. That is so stupendously ridiculous that it boggles the mind to even believe these people exist. These creationist don't just pose their insane questions about evolution but about the entire science of geology. It's an assault on science with no precedent other than the Spanish Inquisition.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:06 pm
OMG this is unreal.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:36 pm
real life wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

Why do you assume that they had to be full grown?

For many practical reasons (space, food, managability, cleanup, breeding ), it would have been possible and reasonable to have younger, immature representatives of the larger species on board.

Dinosaurs on the ark? Not a chance real life. That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:41 pm
Here's some geology for you folks. Pretty funny. It's also pretty sad. There are people out there who believe this stuff.

Quote:
Noah's Flood
One of the evolutionists' arguments against the Bible is that they do not see where the water for the world wide flood in Genesis could have come from. At first, this seems like a valid argument, but I believe the Bible has an answer. This is of course only a theory, based on what the Bible says, but that is not a valid reason to reject it until other evidence is found. In Genesis 1:6, God divided the waters into two groups, those above the firmament, and those below the firmament, the firmament being the heavens. My interpretation of this, and that of Henry Morris, is that there was some water on the earth, but also a great deal in vapor form in the upper layer of the atmosphere, much more than is in the atmosphere today. This would have had a large greenhouse effect on the earth the flood, creating a warm, mild climate. The rest of the water would have been mostly stored in springs and rivers under the earth, but with some streams and such on the surface providing water for the people, plants, and animals. At the time of the flood, Genesis 7 says that the floodgates of the deep, which implies to me the underground waters, and the windows of heaven, which implies the clouds of water vapor, were opened up, releasing the water and flooding the earth. The next question the evolutionists would ask, is where did that water go? I believe it is still here, in our oceans and lakes. I believe the weight of all that water forced up mountains and down valleys, creating all the formations we see today. I also find it interesting that Genesis 7:19 says "all the high hills that were under the whole heaven were covered" and then in Genesis 8:5 says "in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen." Notice the change from hills to mountains. That's not really a strong enough difference to prove my theory, but it is interesting.

http://rmmarm.freeshell.org/Beth/Christianity/BibleScience.html#Flood

You know what this means? Plate tectonics is wrong. Mountains and valleys were created by Noah's flood waters. The science of geology is wrong about everything.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:52 pm
It's like CSI finding a bloody knife at a crime site and an obviously stabbed victim and writing in the report that it was a shooting.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:05 pm
And lets not forget Joshua's long day.

Quote:
10:11 And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.
10:12 Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. (10:12-13)
In a divine type of daylight savings time, God makes the sun stand still so that Joshua can get all his killing done before dark.
10:13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
10:14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel.
0 Replies