Amigo

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:40 pm
I'll be back.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion."
-- Abraham Lincoln
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:41 pm
Very Happy what specifically were you refereing to anyway lightwizard?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:50 pm
Well, whatever could you mean? Very Happy
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:51 pm
chicken... bawk bawk.... Razz
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:52 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I don't believe anyone is trying to be original or profound on these pages and if they are, it isn't translating. Break your arm patting yourself on the back.
It pains me to no end that you put my soulful inventive musings in the same category as the other rabble. My self esteem has collapsed, my body lies cold and prostrate, death awaits with favor.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:53 pm
hey chum... stop being a victim would ya? buck up buddy...

LOLOLOL
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:58 pm
Ah, my first volunteer. I'll pass out the lilies.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:59 pm
I have a violin....
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:05 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Very Happy what specifically were you refereing to anyway lightwizard?
Brokeback moutain
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:10 pm
Sorry Amigo... didn't see that one... though I saw a commercial this evening and was thinking about it...

I think I better excuse myself now... I'm in rare form tonight... I'm being a real butthead tonight.

Oh, by the way chum... sorry... being a jerk tonight I know... *sigh*

Oh yeah, while I'm apologizing... I don't know if the others will see this or not but just in case.. I'm sorry Setanta and CI. I was pretty harsh with you two as well.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:14 pm
hephzibah, Iv'e been typing fast and loose tonight. I'm preety sure were on the same team;

PEACE & LOVE
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:14 pm
I'll give DoktorS credit for sometimes being enlightening and thought provoking, but I would be stingy with profound and original.

But a candidate for "Brokeback Mountain?" -- I don't think he could get past the tent scene. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:17 pm
(Not to mention he might be provoking distaste).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:39 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
real life wrote:

Apparently, soft tissue has been found in several more instances.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050325100541.htm

"We may not really know as much about how fossils are preserved as we think," says Schweitzer. "Our preliminary research shows that antibodies that recognize collagen react to chemical extracts of this fossil bone. If further studies confirm this, we may have the potential to learn more not only about the dinosaurs themselves, but also about how and why they were preserved in the first place."

It doesn't change the age of the fossil, just a question of the process itself.

P

Well, naturally we wouldn't want to let any facts challenge accepted theory.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:41 pm
We wouldn't want any armchair theologians to tell us what the facts are or what is accepted theory.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:44 pm
How about the dead who deeply speak soulful inventive musings?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:01 am
real life wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:
real life wrote:

Apparently, soft tissue has been found in several more instances.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050325100541.htm

"We may not really know as much about how fossils are preserved as we think," says Schweitzer. "Our preliminary research shows that antibodies that recognize collagen react to chemical extracts of this fossil bone. If further studies confirm this, we may have the potential to learn more not only about the dinosaurs themselves, but also about how and why they were preserved in the first place."

It doesn't change the age of the fossil, just a question of the process itself.

P

Well, naturally we wouldn't want to let any facts challenge accepted theory.

Poppycock. A number of theories are being reevaluated in light of Schweitzer's discoveries. That is what real science is about, it is how and why it works. Incidentally, Schweitzer did not claim to have found "dinosaur blood vesels", but rather to have discovered evidence of something not inconsistent with a type of vascular tissue today peculiar to ovulating birds, and something not inconsistent with hemeglobin-bearing cells. Here's an article discussing that, as well as shedding a bit more light on the find itself, the methodology of Schweitzer's research, and its relationship to and confirmation of earlier work.

Blood From A stone (Note: 6 page .pdf)

A teaser:
Quote:
... A pathologist attending her talk pointed out that the sample contained something that looked like red bloodcells. Callis returned the sample to Schweitzer, who peered at it through her microscope with amixture of heart-stopping wonder and complete disbelief. Horner was summoned; he askedSchweitzer if she thought she really had foundpreserved dinosaur blood cells. "No," she told him.

"Fine," he said. "Then prove that they're not." ...

And now for a touch of comic relief -

Here's the official ID-iot take, straight from The Discovery Institute:

Quote:
The Devastating Issue of Dinosaur Issue

Abstract
Although it is too early to make definite statements regarding this stunning and wholly unexpected find, the evidence seems to indicate the T. rex fossil is--??well, young.

Yup, the head whackos at the Discovery Institute are thilled; this proves to their satisfaction dinosaurs didn't live scores of millions of years ago.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:07 am
Aren't they just so entertaining, timber? It gives Puck more ammunition for his famous line. The creationist and ID'ers in their consistant illusion of reality will continue to do their spin. It's a lot of whistling in the dark for those still trapped in the Dark Ages. Anyone for jousting? It's a really beautiful Knight.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 05:36 am
Oh those poor creationist. Every time they speak they put their foot deeper into their mouth.

Strange how creationist continue claiming that science does not support evolution; that it's a religious type of belief embraced by the agnostics and atheists. Yet in this T. rex issue they declare the fossil is very young and give no credible science to back up their claim.

Their argument is the same argument they use to claim the sediment layers in the Grand Canyon is evidence for the Biblical flood; its obvious and the Bible says so. The same argument was used to support the idea of an earth centered universe in Galileo's time.

OOPS! I'm mistaken. Not Galilae's time but today.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:23 am
Amigo wrote:
hephzibah, Iv'e been typing fast and loose tonight. I'm preety sure were on the same team;

PEACE & LOVE
Smile
0 Replies