Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:30 pm
I was sitting here after getting home from a full day at the gallery and when Reese Witherspoon FOR JESUS came up, I immediately thought, "we've been hacked." I reported it and the reply was, "we're just having some April Fool fun." My boss when I was a credit manager for a manufacturing firm in my 20's pulled the original elephants in the street April Fool. He had the entire office out in the street to look for elephants. April Fool.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:38 pm
I fell asleep watching a movie and woke up to... well nevermind what was on... LOL and I came on A2K just to see what was shaking. Apparently the whole site was! I first noticed it when I was looking at Lash's reply's to me... My wording was changed in the quote she posted and I was like... What the heck??? Then I started surfin around and saw all these wacked out thread titles... Had me going pretty good there for awhile... LOL whew... that was funny...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:49 pm
Craven is glad we had fun. We do get a bit serious in here and if anyone really knew me, I'm not that serious most of the time. I find I can't joke about evolution, however -- it's as serious a matter as it was in Darwin's time. He agonized over his intellectual mind discovering that all life on earth evolved from lower forms. Now too much of mankind is lost in all the trivia about evolution, like when did fish start walking on the land. Guess, what -- there are still fish which can walk on land.

So the ultimate egotism is not that some of us don't want to admit we are descended from any life form as low or lower than the ape but that we are unable to recognize that we came out of the sea. Now that's a miracle, not the silly explanation in the Bible. Fantasy can be powerful -- see "The Lord of the Rings" (Tolkien always had be convinced that his world could have actually existed) but there comes a time to let go of childish things. That's not to become adultish, 'cause we should still retain some of our childlike character traits. One of them is humor.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:54 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
A wee bit confusing, but i BETCHA spendi undersands everything posted today. Wink
The funniest thing I have read in a coons age and partly justifies wading through the reams of crap to read it

I (as always) took the rational approach and upon seeing the site had been warped for reasons suspected but as yet unproven promptly fell asleep.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 12:00 am
And you have risen.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 12:12 am
For better or worse yes (Christian and marital inferences aside).
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 12:16 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Craven is glad we had fun. We do get a bit serious in here and if anyone really knew me, I'm not that serious most of the time. I find I can't joke about evolution, however -- it's as serious a matter as it was in Darwin's time. He agonized over his intellectual mind discovering that all life on earth evolved from lower forms. Now too much of mankind is lost in all the trivia about evolution, like when did fish start walking on the land. Guess, what -- there are still fish which can walk on land.

So the ultimate egotism is not that some of us don't want to admit we are descended from any life form as low or lower than the ape but that we are unable to recognize that we came out of the sea. Now that's a miracle, not the silly explanation in the Bible. Fantasy can be powerful -- see "The Lord of the Rings" (Tolkien always had be convinced that his world could have actually existed) but there comes a time to let go of childish things. That's not to become adultish, 'cause we should still retain some of our childlike character traits. One of them is humor.

Well... I just don't know what to believe anymore. That's no joke. It could really go any way at this point. All I know is I want some answers, but I don't know where to look for them anymore.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 12:21 am
Well if you decide for evolution, the next time you have a tuna salad sandwich you can imagine you're eating your ancestors. Think how much fun you could have with pork chops.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 12:24 am
Yeah there's a label of some sort to go with everything isn't there chumly.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 12:34 am
Oh, come on. We can't be descended from pigs. Hmm...I relent -- I guess I have met some who might have snout-nosed ancestors. Remember that episode of "The Twilight Zone?"
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 01:15 am
hephzibah wrote:
Well... I just don't know what to believe anymore. That's no joke. It could really go any way at this point. All I know is I want some answers, but I don't know where to look for them anymore.

Although religious belief influences how people view evolutionary theory, it is not the only factor. In my opinion, the science behind evolutionary theory is difficult to understand for the average person.

I am glad that some posters gave you helpful links, hephzibah. Evolutionary theory does play an important role in medicine. Epidemiologists study the evolution of viruses and other dangerous micro-organisms. How disease is treated depends on this type of research.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 08:58 am
I think that's turned around -- the average person doesn't care and doesn't want to learn about the science of evolution and it is no longer considered a theory by a broad spectrum of the scientific world. There are theories about the details but the overwhelming evidence that evolution took place and is taking place has finally begun to convince theologians (who today don't want to burn one at the stake or throw someone in prison because of a scientific fact). Paulgirl's link should help to provide a thirst for further reading:

http://www.evolution.mbdojo.com/evolution-for-beginners.html

If evolution was a theory, it could not play an important role in medicine.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:01 am
(Altogether now, it's the science of evolution, not the theory of evolution).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:40 am
hephzibah wrote:

You don't have to believe evolution, the interesting thing is to understand it, regardless of what you believe.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:00 am
Precisely the point, ros; it is a question of understanding, not of belief. Unfortunately some folks manufacture between the two a gulf they dare not cross.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:05 am
That's like John McCain this morning on "Meet the Press" being asked what kind of a job Bush was doing. Everything was prefaced with "I believe." He's now elevated Bush to the status of a God.

Science doesn't know the word "believe," science thinks, based on calculative evidence. Use your brain to think for a change instead of believe. The only way to do that is to read and the Internet has a vast treasure of reading about evolution. If you're reading the anti-evolution blogs, et al, you're reading propaganda from the fearful. The same fearful people who existed in Darwin's time. All they can believe is, "This can't be true -- it's too scary."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:18 am
John McCain sure knows how to disappoint his ex-supporters. He continues to say things he knows doesn't jive with the facts. I will not be voting for him if he's even a viable runner for the white house. He's a loser; subserves his ethics for what he thinks supports his party.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:53 am
If he doesn't "believe" in evolution then he certainly believes in political pollution. This is veering off course! Surprised Very Happy

Of course, the original poster has dissapeared into the woodwork so we can assume he was trolling.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:57 am
I'll blame the "veering" on you! Wink
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:11 am
Lightwizard wrote:
If he doesn't "believe" in evolution then he certainly believes in political pollution. This is veering off course! Surprised Very Happy

Of course, the original poster has dissapeared into the woodwork so we can assume he was trolling.

Assume whatever the hell you want. I don't rightly care.

I'm a she.
0 Replies