0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 09:49 pm
Is that the sister of Hedda Lettuce?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:17 pm
real life wrote:

Interesting article. If the dinosaur bone in this article were really 70 million years old, how come there's soft tissue inside?

Oh never mind. It's on a 'creationist' website, MSNBC.

Quote:
Scientists recover T. rex soft tissue

70-million-year-old fossil yields preserved blood vessels

Updated: 9:58 p.m. ET March 28, 2005

WASHINGTON - A 70-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex fossil dug out of a hunk of sandstone has yielded soft tissue, including blood vessels and perhaps even whole cells, U.S. researchers reported on Thursday.

Paleontologists forced to break the creature's massive thighbone to get it on a helicopter found not a solid piece of fossilized bone, but instead something looking a bit less like a rock.

When they got it into a lab and chemically removed the hard minerals, they found what looked like blood vessels, bone cells and perhaps even blood cells.............

see full story at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7285683

http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2005/04/dino-blood_redu.html
In media interviews Jack Horner, Schweitzer's coauthor and former professor, has been much more cautious. He appeared on a radio program, "On Point" broadcast by National Public Radio were Tom Ashcroft interviewed him along with molecular taphonomist Derek Briggs of Yale University, and science writer Carl Zimmer. Then he repeatedly said that they in fact have no idea what the recovered "tissues" are made of, or actually represent. Schweitzer did not appear on the program, but this could mean that there are the familiar disagreements that can occur between coauthors and particularly professors and former students. For example, when Ashcroft asked
"If it's soft tissue, what else would it be other than biological?
Horner replied, "Well that's a good question, but I don't think we go in with the assumption that it is {biological} until we can do our analyses. (approx. minute 30 of the interview)" He also said, "It would be nice to know what this stuff is made of … if there are proteins present, is it biological?" And, "We're not looking for DNA, we are trying to determine what this stuff is and why it is flexible.

Since jumping to conclusions is not good exercise, I'll wait to see what they do find.

P
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:29 pm
Ok, are the are the moderators have some April Fools day fun? I type in the word "?" and "yodel" shows up.

What the...

Bacon Fools? Oh, yeah, somebody's having fun.
P
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:32 pm
A wee bit confusing, but i BETCHA spendi undersands everything posted today. Wink
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:33 pm
Quote:
Interesting article. If the dinosaur bone in this article were really 70 million years old, how come there's soft tissue inside?

Because it never decayed. I'm sure it had something to do with its preservation. Not being a paleontologist I'm not going out on a limb and try to give you a reason.

However from reading articles on this I am assuming that this may have been more common then thought. In the past preservatives were put on the fossils. This preservative contaminated soft tissues, that is if any soft tissue was present. Because of this find they are going to be rethinking the theories of fossilization. Mind you that's theory of fossilization, not evolution. No human bones were found in this strata, the Hell Creek formation, nor have any ever been found. Of course the reason for that is rather obvious, no humans existed during the Age of Dinosaurs.

Of course the creationist sites, showing their ignorance of science, are saying this is a "stunning rebuttal of "millions of years".

How can blood cells survive for 70 million years? Well, as a layman I would guess if it is completely protected from anything that would allow it to decay it would survive for a period greater then 70 million years. Ask yourself, why do blood cell decay. What outside substance causes them to decay? If that substance is absent then ask why would they decay?

Maybe farmerman or thunder can give us an answer. Obviously the creationists can't.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:34 pm
It's the owner of the site is having some A p r i l F o o l ' s D a y fun, C r a v e n, and I don't know how this post will turn out as Craven is now in control.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:37 pm
What? Not being a pathologist?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:45 pm
(A p r i l F o o l)
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:49 pm
This is funny!
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:54 pm
http://paulag.home.coastalnet.com/fool1.gif
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:55 pm
This is where evolution has taken us -- A p r i l F o o l ' s D a y (April Fools Day) on unsuspecting posters. See, there is a God.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:56 pm
(His name be C r a v e n).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:56 pm
TOLD you!

LOL!!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:57 pm
I told everyone in the gallery as I arrived a bit late today that there were elephants in the parking lot and did they see any announcement that there was a circus in the mall today. It suckered everyone in.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:59 pm
Perhaps if we slowly say sloof lirpA, it will go away. If not we can enjoy April and eggs. I like mine over easy with hash browns and an english muffin, if you wouldn't mind.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:02 pm
This is cracking me up! I thought I was losing it there for a minute.. Horsie girl...

LOL!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:03 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:23 pm
Smile That was fun.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:28 pm