Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
That's going to get a response for sure. It reveals your total ignorance of evolution. If I were you, before you reveal how uneducated you really are, to escape this thread as soon as possible.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:17 am
So, I am to then fear what others will think because I am uneducated on this? So what. At least I'm asking rather than pretending I know about something I have very little info about. From the little I have learned about it I think it's bologna. Now if there's something I'm missing here I'd be happy to take a look at it. Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:22 am
Start by actually reading "Origin of the Species" by Charles Darwin or continue to be brainwashed by your preacher, who also knows next to nothing about evolution. You're making pronouncement based on ignorance -- you're missing an education and have likely been made to fear an education as if it were the fruit of the "Tree of Knowledge" in the Adam and Eve myth.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:30 am
Trolling

There are some individuals out there who don't just enjoy winding up people on forums - it's their sad lifestyle choice! Using every known disruptive trick in the book, these troublesome types don't go out to the pub, meet members of the opposite sex or enjoy life. They spend their time hunched over their computers trolling.

Here's how they work:

INTRODUCTION

The object of this post is to bring together a definitive document to cover the phenomena of the Usenet Troll. To many a troll is nothing more than an annoying method of defeating the killfile whereas to the heavily killfiled, trolling can be a virtual Godsend.

What I want this document to focus on is how to create entertaining trolls. I have drawn on the expertise of the writer's of some of Usenet's finest and best remembered trolls. Trolls are for fun. The object of recreational trolling is to sit back and laugh at all those gullible idiots that will believe *anything*.

Section 1: What Is A Troll?

The WWW gives this as a definition:

troll v.,n. To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies"; which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling";, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite.

The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll.

If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.

The following extract is from a broader expansion of the defining comments given above:

In Usenet usage, a troll is not a grumpy monster that lives beneath a bridge accosting passers-by, but rather a provocative posting to a forum intended to produce a large volume of frivolous responses.

The content of a "troll posting generally falls into several areas. It may consist of an apparently foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a deliberately offensive insult to the readers of a newsgroup, or a broad request for trivial follow-up postings.

There are three reasons why people troll forums:

People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt forums, and simply to make trouble.

Career trollers tend for the latter two whilst the former is the mark of the clueless newbie and should be ignored.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:34 am
Quote:
If we "evolved" from apes, why are there still apes?

First of all, evolution does not require the ancestral specie to be extinct. All speciation (the formation of new species) is, is the shift of relative frequency in the gene pool of a population that results in the formation of new species.

Second of all, we evolve from hominids (right?).

Finally, I think you need to read about evolution first. I know it may be time consuming, but if you want to know about it...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:44 am
Oh, come on -- "they" don't really want to know about it. They are getting their rocks off by pronouncing evolution as bologna, forgetting that many find religion as bologna.

God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos; He will set them above their betters. -HL Mencken
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:47 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Trolling

There are some individuals out there who don't just enjoy winding up people on forums - it's their sad lifestyle choice! Using every known disruptive trick in the book, these troublesome types don't go out to the pub, meet members of the opposite sex or enjoy life. They spend their time hunched over their computers trolling.

Here's how they work:

INTRODUCTION

The object of this post is to bring together a definitive document to cover the phenomena of the Usenet Troll. To many a troll is nothing more than an annoying method of defeating the killfile whereas to the heavily killfiled, trolling can be a virtual Godsend.

What I want this document to focus on is how to create entertaining trolls. I have drawn on the expertise of the writer's of some of Usenet's finest and best remembered trolls. Trolls are for fun. The object of recreational trolling is to sit back and laugh at all those gullible idiots that will believe *anything*.

Section 1: What Is A Troll?

The WWW gives this as a definition:

troll v.,n. To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies"; which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling";, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite.

The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll.

If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.

The following extract is from a broader expansion of the defining comments given above:

In Usenet usage, a troll is not a grumpy monster that lives beneath a bridge accosting passers-by, but rather a provocative posting to a forum intended to produce a large volume of frivolous responses.

The content of a "troll posting generally falls into several areas. It may consist of an apparently foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a deliberately offensive insult to the readers of a newsgroup, or a broad request for trivial follow-up postings.

There are three reasons why people troll forums:

People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt forums, and simply to make trouble.

Career trollers tend for the latter two whilst the former is the mark of the clueless newbie and should be ignored.

Wow. Very insightful. Unfortunately you forgot that there are actually people who would simply like to just find out more information from people who actually have an intelligent opinion to offer without criticism. I hardly think what I posted was any worse than many other posts I have seen here. Maybe it was a little gun ho to start off with. I won't deny I can do that sometimes. It seems to me that a post like is exactly what you are talking about. Just a thought...
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:48 am
hephzibah

We did not evolve from the apes. That is a misconception creationists want ignorant people to believe.

Apes and humans have a common ancestor that is long extinct.

Chimps and humans have an extinct common ancestor.

Apes, chimps and humans are not extinct but their ancestors are.

Evolution is a science. Creationism and Id are religious dogma.

The knowledge gained from science is based on observation, experiments and research. This is the same type of research that gives us drugs to help us live longer and allowed us to land on the moon. Science is based on truth. It has to be. How can you launch a rocket based on lies, deceit and religious dogma. But you can promote creationism with all three.

There are many things in science that are still unknown. For the superstitious the realm of the unknown is given to the supernatural. It has been this way for ages. It will be that way for the ignorant well into the future. It's a 'if we don't understand it God did it' mentality.

Creationist and ID'ers base their knowledge, not on science, but the Bible; more specifically the creation myths of an ancient tribe. Creationism is a religious dogma science does not support. Many creationist look on science as evil, ungodly and atheistic.

It sad because ID'ers want to have everyone believe in a religious dogma unsupported by any evidence. It's not much different then the conflict between Galileo and the Catholic Church.

With regards to Galileo truth prevailed and the Catholic Church had to accept the fact that earth was not the center of our solar system. At some point in the future creationists will also have to accept the fact that evolution is as real as a sun centered solar system. But not yet. Today the creationist and ID'ers are as much in the dark ages as the Catholic Church was in Galileo's day. There are still too many people out there that are too ignorant about science to understand what evolution is all about. Sad to say, in America, this ignorance is growing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:52 am
I'm sure I would get a similar response if I just straffed a religious thread with the statement that religion is bologna and then admit I know nothing about it. You're getting a brilliantly concise response from xingu (who has more patience than I do) which I am sure you are anxious to retort with more aimless rhetorical platitudes dictated by the church.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:54 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I'm sure I would get a similar response if I just straffed a religious thread with the statement that religion is bologna and then admit I know nothing about it. You're getting a brilliantly concise response from xingu (who has more patience than I do) which I am sure you are anxious to retort with more aimless rhetorical platitudes dictated by the church.

Ha. You obviously don't know me very well lightwizard. Thanks for the input though. Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:55 am
As to the ignorance growing, it is a plague which will be stemmed only by the old and ignorant dying off.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 10:56 am
Ray wrote:
Quote:
If we "evolved" from apes, why are there still apes?

First of all, evolution does not require the ancestral specie to be extinct. All speciation (the formation of new species) is, is the shift of relative frequency in the gene pool of a population that results in the formation of new species.

Second of all, we evolve from hominids (right?).

Finally, I think you need to read about evolution first. I know it may be time consuming, but if you want to know about it...

LOL you could be right. *sigh*
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:03 am
Now you're cookin'.

I apologize for criticizing you if you are genuinely interested:

http://www.literature.org/authors/darwin-charles/the-origin-of-species-6th-edition/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:05 am
If you haven't read through this thread, you won't know that Darwin was devoutly religious and was dismayed that his discovery had just wiped out most of the Old Testament.

If you see Kubrick's "2001," the opening sequence is an excellent representation of the evolution of man.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:05 am
Quote:
Apes and humans have a common ancestor that is long extinct.

Chimps and humans have an extinct common ancestor.

Apes, chimps and humans are not extinct but their ancestors are.

Evolution is a science. Creationism and Id are religious dogma.

Hmmm... interesting. And there is scientific proof of this?

Quote:
The knowledge gained from science is based on observation, experiments and research. This is the same type of research that gives us drugs to help us live longer and allowed us to land on the moon. Science is based on truth. It has to be. How can you launch a rocket based on lies, deceit and religious dogma. But you can promote creationism with all three.

There are many things in science that are still unknown. For the superstitious the realm of the unknown is given to the supernatural. It has been this way for ages. It will be that way for the ignorant well into the future. It's a 'if we don't understand it God did it' mentality.

Yeah, I can see that. But you yourself said that there are many things in science that are still unknown. Granted I'm not saying, "oooh it MUST be God." I'm just saying, if science can't explain it then one must wonder what is it then?...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:07 am
The science that studies homo sapiens and all life forms on earth must rely on evidence now available. That means estimates on the age of earth, migration, change in geography of the land mass, DNA, fossils, knowledge of the animal kingdom, climate, and other sciences that support principal theories of knowledge. Scientific theories change only when new data becomes available. New technologies and findings usually support past scientific theories.

Christians that believe in creationsim have only the bible to support their "thesis," and ignores the realities of evolution that permeates our daily life.
Creationists makes every effort to rationalize what is so obvious to those who can see beyond the bible.
0 Replies

littlek

Hez, science is a growing dynamic field. I don't doubt we will figure it all out some day - through science.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Science has explained it. Ya just have to read. That is how one educates themselves -- remember school? Teachers can really only teach you how to learn for yourself. Somehow it doesn't sink in which is why we have the President we have today.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:10 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Now you're cookin'.

I apologize for criticizing you if you are genuinely interested:

http://www.literature.org/authors/darwin-charles/the-origin-of-species-6th-edition/

Thank you lightwizard. I am genuinely interested. And yes I am looking at this from the perspective of having spent 17 years in the throws of religion. However one thing I have learned to be open minded about stuff. Just because I believe what I believe doesn't mean everyone else in the world is obligated to. If there are things people feel are genuine truths to this I would like to see what and why.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:18 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
The science that studies homo sapiens and all life forms on earth must rely on evidence now available. That means estimates on the age of earth, migration, change in geography of the land mass, DNA, fossils, knowledge of the animal kingdom, climate, and other sciences that support principal theories of knowledge. Scientific theories change only when new data becomes available. New technologies and findings usually support past scientific theories.

Christians that believe in creationsim have only the bible to support their "thesis," and ignores the realities of evolution that permeates our daily life.
Creationists makes every effort to rationalize what is so obvious to those who can see beyond the bible.

There are evidences that permeate our daily life? Huh... interesting. I have stepped back from a lot of things lately. Beliefs and so forth. I am looking at most everything with a critical eye of sorts, and honestly this sounds to me almost like just another theory to be brainwashed by. Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm not slighting anyone or what they believe. I'm just giving my viewpoint from where I'm standing right now.
0 Replies