xingu

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:10 am
Real

Can you define perfect? What would a person have to do or how would they have to behave to be perfect? What is the standard for perfect?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:14 am
Doktor S wrote:
neologist wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
People have desires. One of those desires is procreation.
People are not 'perfect' (by whatever arbitrary standard you can muster) and hence are capable of desiring change.
But if the skydaddy was perfect to begin with,before anything existed, where would a desire for change come from? After all, he was already perfectly content.
Creation itself would have to be an indication of imperfection.
Just a guess, but the quality of free will is such an outstanding trait, perhaps God wished to have other sentient beings share in it.

That would, I think, be called love.

Freewill is an illusion. It exists in the realm of human perception alone.
When scrutinized freewill is an absurd concept, and really doesn't work either inside nor outside of a religious context.
Nor, for the record, do I share the assumption that 'love' is somehow special within the spectrum of emotional variants.
C'mon Dok.

Doesn't Satan sometimes do something just for the hell of it?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:17 am
xingu wrote:
Real

Can you define perfect? What would a person have to do or how would they have to behave to be perfect? What is the standard for perfect?
There is a guy who lives down the street who is a perfect ass.

You've probably met him.

So what do you mean by define perfect?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:31 am
My point is there is no such thing as perfect. Not God as described in the Bible nor Jesus.

As for the perfect ass, that is a subjective opinion about an individual that doesn't behave or accept things as you see them. "Perfect" in this case is a form of exaggeration, like saying 'ultimate ass' or the 'mother of all asses'.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:25 am
RL wrote:

Why do you assume that if a pefect Being did anything other than sit perfectly still that this would render it less than perfect?

As has been mentioned, there are logistics to the concept of 'perfection', and once you start making special plea's for certain exceptions for the sake of convenience the absolute is nullified. Perfection is by definition an absolute state. No I don't believe in 'perfection' as a stand alone 'thing' that exists free of any form of measuring stick, however I am working within the definition of the concept, complete with all of the logistics and implications.
A perfect state would have to be the best possible state. Even the slightest variation from that state would ruin the absolute, would make it less than perfect, and hence imperfect.
So to answer your question..yes..your perfect deity would have to be pretty much frozen in time.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:28 am
Neo wrote:

C'mon Dok.

Doesn't Satan sometimes do something just for the hell of it?

Yes but the hell of it was predetermined Razz
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:33 am
Here are a half dozen different, authoritative defintions of the word "PERFECT":

[url=http://www.bartleby.com/61/70/P0187000.html]American Heritage[/url] wrote:
perfect

SYLLABICATION: per·fect
PRONUNCIATION: pûrfkt
ADJECTIVE: 1. Lacking nothing essential to the whole; complete of its nature or kind. 2. Being without defect or blemish: a perfect specimen. 3. Thoroughly skilled or talented in a certain field or area; proficient. 4. Completely suited for a particular purpose or situation: She was the perfect actress for the part. 5a. Completely corresponding to a description, standard, or type: a perfect circle; a perfect gentleman. b. Accurately reproducing an original: a perfect copy of the painting. 6. Complete; thorough; utter: a perfect fool. 7. Pure; undiluted; unmixed: perfect red. 8. Excellent and delightful in all respects: a perfect day.

[url=http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=58808&dict=CALD]The Cambridge Dictionary[/url] wrote:
perfect (WITHOUT FAULT) Show phonetics
adjective
1 complete and correct in every way, of the best possible type or without fault:
a perfect day
What is your idea of perfect happiness?
This church is a perfect example of medieval architecture.
You have a perfect English accent.
The car is five years old but is in almost perfect condition.
She thought at last she'd found the perfect man.

2 used to emphasize a noun:
It makes perfect sense.
a perfect stranger

perfect Show phonetics
verb [T]
to make something free from faults:
He is keen to perfect his golfing technique.

perfectly Show phonetics
adverb
1 in a perfect way:
The jacket fits perfectly, the skirt not so well.
They're perfectly suited.

2 used to emphasize the word that follows:
To be perfectly honest, I don't care any more.
You know perfectly well what the matter is.
I made it perfectly clear to him what I meant.
I was perfectly happy on my own.

perfection Show phonetics
noun
1 the state of being complete and correct in every way:
In his quest for physical perfection, he spends hours in the gym.

2 to perfection extremely well:
The fish was cooked to perfection.

[url=http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=perfect]Dictionary.Com[/url] wrote:
per·fect ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pûrfkt)
adj.
  1. Lacking nothing essential to the whole; complete of its nature or kind.
  2. Being without defect or blemish: a perfect specimen.
  3. Thoroughly skilled or talented in a certain field or area; proficient.
  4. Completely suited for a particular purpose or situation: She was the perfect actress for the part.

1. Completely corresponding to a description, standard, or type: a perfect circle; a perfect gentleman.
    2. Accurately reproducing an original: a perfect copy of the painting.

5. Complete; thorough; utter: a perfect fool.
  6. Pure; undiluted; unmixed: perfect red.

[url=http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?search=perfect]Encarta[/url] wrote:
perfect

per·fect [ púrfikt ]

adjective

Definitions:

1. without faults: without errors, flaws, or faults
in perfect condition

2. complete and whole: complete and lacking nothing essential

3. excellent or ideal: excellent or ideal in every way
That's the perfect word to describe him.

4. especially suitable: having all the necessary or typical characteristics required for a given situation
the perfect candidate for the job

5. skilled: very proficient, skilled, or talented in a particular area
a perfect host

6. utter or absolute: used to emphasize the extent or degree of something
a perfect nuisance
perfect happiness

[url=http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=perfect]Merriam-Webster[/url] wrote:
perfect

perfect

Main Entry: 1per·fect
Pronunciation: 'p&r-fikt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English parfit, from Old French, from Latin perfectus, from past participle of perficere to carry out, perfect, from per- thoroughly + facere to make, do -- more at DO
1 a : being entirely without fault or defect : FLAWLESS <a perfect diamond> b : satisfying all requirements : ACCURATE c : corresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept <a perfect gentleman> d : faithfully reproducing the original; specifically : LETTER-PERFECT e : legally valid
2 : EXPERT, PROFICIENT <practice makes perfect>
3 a : PURE, TOTAL b : lacking in no essential detail : COMPLETE c obsolete : SANE d : ABSOLUTE, UNEQUIVOCAL <enjoys perfect happiness> e : of an extreme kind :
UNMITIGATED <a perfect brat> <an act of perfect foolishness>
4 obsolete : MATURE
5 : of, relating to, or constituting a verb form or verbal that expresses an action or state completed at the time of speaking or at a time spoken of
6 obsolete a : CERTAIN, SURE b : CONTENTED, SATISFIED
7 of a musical interval : belonging to the consonances unison, fourth, fifth, and octave which retain their character when inverted and when raised or lowered by a half step become augmented or diminished
8 a : sexually mature and fully differentiated <a perfect insect> b : having both stamens and pistils in the same flower <a perfect flower>
- per·fect·ness /-fik(t)-n&s/ noun
synonyms PERFECT, WHOLE, ENTIRE, INTACT mean not lacking or faulty in any particular. PERFECT implies the soundness and the excellence of every part, element, or quality of a thing frequently as an unattainable or theoretical state <a perfect set of teeth>. WHOLE suggests a completeness or perfection that can be sought, gained, or regained <felt like a whole person again after vacation>. ENTIRE implies perfection deriving from integrity, soundness, or completeness of a thing <the entire Beethoven corpus>. INTACT implies retention of perfection of a thing in its natural or original state <the boat survived the storm intact>.

[url=http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/perfect?view=uk]Oxford English Dictionary[/url] wrote:
perfect

• adjective /perfikt/ 1 having all the required elements, qualities, or characteristics. 2 free from any flaw; faultless. 3 complete; absolute: it made perfect sense. • verb /prfekt/ 1 make perfect. 2 bring to completion.

Something shared by all is that the 1st sense of the word embodies the concept of absolute completeness, as in without flaw, lack, fault, want, need, restriction, limitation or other qualification. The only reasononable, logical conclusion to be drawn from that observation is that the word's preferred sense embodies the concept of absolute completeness, as in without flaw, lack, fault, want, need, restriction, limitation or other qualification, leaving any and all other definitions or embodied concepts as adjunct, secondary, of lesser significance and/or application.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:55 am
neologist wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Not ignoring a thing, neo, just taking what there is for what there is, taking what is said for what is meant,
Really. . .
timberlandko wrote:
neither applying special definitions
Really. . .
How about special words?
timberlandko wrote:
nor assuming convenient interpretations
Really. . .
By your account, the omnipotent God is incapable of selective foreknowledge. That works well if you need a reason to disbelieve.
timberlandko wrote:
just reading what is written in the scriptures - reading it objectively, critically, dispassionately, and with mere academic interest and rigor.
Really. . .
How does the concept of human choice fit in with your deterministic understanding?
"I do take the heavens and the earth as witnesses against YOU today, that I have put life and death before you, the blessing and the malediction; and you must choose life in order that you may keep alive, you and your offspring." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
timberlandko wrote:
You bring to it whatever you wish, I take from it what I find there.
You have found only that for which you have searched.

No special words, no special definitions, no special wants or needs, no special projections, no special preferences, no superstitions - just what's there - period. No determinism either - chaos and the butterfly effect are the operatives of the universe. That is not deterministic, that is mathematecially deducible. As to what I find in the scripture, neo, I find what is there, not what I wish there to be there. Ghosties and ghoulies and things that go bump in the night don't inhabit my world, magic is not an operator, and superstition is not a plan of action.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:00 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
superstition is not a plan of action.

I remember reading somewhere of a general who was about to submit to his troop's demands to pack up a siege of a walled city after two years of extreme discomfort.

Then he saw two birds fly away from one of the towers in the city.He took this as an omen and urged his troops to greater efforts.They took the city,massacred all its inhabitants and carried off everything of value they could find.

I daresay those inhabitants felt that a superstition may well be a plan of action as I expect the general and his men also did.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:27 pm
xingu wrote:
Real

xingu wrote:
My point is there is no such thing as perfect.

Since you do not believe in a perfect Being or that any such thing as 'perfect' exists or can exist, then there can be no such thing as 'imperfection' either, correct? Without a perfect standard to compare with, 'imperfect' has no real meaning, does it?

If nobody is imperfect, then on what basis do you complain of anyone's behavior or their views? If there is no correct standard to measure them against, how can you believe anyone to be wrong?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:33 pm
real life, you can't. Except by consensus.

eg. What does the bible say about eating whale? Yet I'll wager you think whaling should be illegal. In Japan however, they don't have a problem with it, and whale meat is being encouraged for use in school lunches. So how do you judge right from wrong in this case?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:43 pm
Real
But by your beliefs we are all imperfect. That's why I asked you what is perfect. You must know if you believe in imperfect humans.

So define for me the perfect human. What is the standard of behavior by which you Christians measure our imperfectness?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:55 pm
xingu wrote:
Real
But by your beliefs we are all imperfect. That's why I asked you what is perfect. You must know if you believe in imperfect humans.

So define for me the perfect human. What is the standard of behavior by which you Christians measure our imperfectness?
Jesus Christ is the perfect human. He is the standard of behavior for all men.

You must know that this is the Christian position, so what is your point in asking it?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 09:38 pm
Jesus was perfect. By your beliefs Jesus was also God, right?

Therefore God and God's behavior is perfect, right?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:01 am
xingu wrote:
Jesus was perfect. By your beliefs Jesus was also God, right?

Therefore God and God's behavior is perfect, right?

Yes, as the creator/owner of the universe and all that is in it, He has a right to do with it and us as He sees fit.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:39 am
Precisely the same may be said of The Flying Spaghetti Monster.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:27 am
But God of the Bible is evil and two-faced. He can't abide by the rules he establishes for his subjects. He's incapable of solving any problem with any solution other than death. He practices a form of behavior we could never teach our children because we consider it evil.

Your God is not only evil but he makes evil for his own pleasure. I was always under the impression Satan did that. So many contradictions.
Proverbs 16:4
Quote:
The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

I heard you had a son. Don't forget to beat him.
Proverbs 19:18
Quote:
Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

Enjoy him while you can because your God loves to kill them.
Psalm 137:9
Quote:
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Yes the Lord may do whatever he chooses to do to his subjects, much like the southern slaveholder may do to his slaves.
Lamentations
Quote:
2:20 Behold, O LORD, and consider to whom thou hast done this. Shall the women eat their fruit, and children of a span long? shall the priest and the prophet be slain in the sanctuary of the Lord?
2:21 The young and the old lie on the ground in the streets: my virgins and my young men are fallen by the sword; thou hast slain them in the day of thine anger; thou hast killed, and not pitied.

Isn't love wonderful? This is an example of perfection for God is perfect in every way. We humans must work harder to attain this type of perfection. Otherwise we may end up in Hell.

You know, at one time I thought serial killers were evil people but after reading about how God treats his subjects I may have to reconsider. Maybe serial killers are not as bad as I thought.

What do you think Real?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:41 am
What more evidence of the Christian God's benificent presence could be wanted than that millions of Fillipinos were not killed by mudslides over this past weekend?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:38 am
So far in the discussion of perfect we have:

xingu wrote:
". . . there is no such thing as perfect. As for the perfect ass, that is a subjective opinion. . ."

Dok wrote:. . . Perfection is by definition an absolute state. . ."

timber, in his odyssey of authoritative sources wrote:

". . .4. Completely suited for a particular purpose or situation . . ."(American Heritage)

"1. Lacking nothing essential to the whole; complete of its nature or kind. . ." (Dictionary.Com)

"2. complete and whole: complete and lacking nothing essential . . ." (Encarta)

"3 a : PURE, TOTAL ba : lacking in no essential detail . . ." (Merriam-Webster)

I might point out the operative word here is 'essential'.

So when the perfect God designs the perfect billiard ball, what sort of essential qualities might be expected in the two uses of the word?

We have here a perfect example of definition distraction.

Here's another:

The word omniscient does not appear in the bible, yet many are inclined to arbitrarily assign this word to God because he is all knowing and able to discern the outcome of any chain of events. Omniscience implies limitation by necessity. The two concepts are not the same. The God of the bible cannot be limited by human definitions.

Nevertheless I will have to agree with xingu, Dok and timber by saying the god they have described does not exist. Nor is he the God of the bible.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:42 am
timberlandko wrote:
What more evidence of the Christian God's benificent presence could be wanted than that millions of Fillipinos were not killed by mudslides over this past weekend?
As for God's toleration of human suffering, that is an additional subject.

I've pretty much aided in the hijacking of this topic. Shall we continue here or move somewhere else?
0 Replies