real life

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:33 am
neologist wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Timber wrote:

If perfect, then, given the attributes inherent to perfection, such a being would have no want, need, or cause to create anything

Neat. I've never seen anyone but myself use this particular argument. I suppose it is just an inevitable logical conclusion if you follow it far enough.

rl wrote:

This is simply an assumption without foundation on your part what God might want; as opposed to what He might need; or what He might cause ( 3 completely different propostions, which you seem to want to treat as synonomous --- an illogical undertaking if ever there was).

The point you are completely missing/ignoring is that a perfect being would have no desire. It is already perfect, any change would indicate a move towards imperfection. It would not create, as that too would be a move towards a change of state, and hence imperfection.
So God doesn't need us. Whoever said he did?

I didn't need to have kids and sometimes they are a chore. But I think I'll keep them.

Excellent example Neo. You had kids because you wanted to share love with a growing family, not because you needed them.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 09:08 am
Quote:
I didn't need to have kids and sometimes they are a chore. But I think I'll keep them.

So if your going to have children, and love them, why would you kill them because they will not obey you? Is killing them an act of love?

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/atrocity.html
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:46 am
People have desires. One of those desires is procreation.
People are not 'perfect' (by whatever arbitrary standard you can muster) and hence are capable of desiring change.
But if the skydaddy was perfect to begin with,before anything existed, where would a desire for change come from? After all, he was already perfectly content.
Creation itself would have to be an indication of imperfection.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 05:42 pm
neologist wrote:
If you refrain from reading your daughter's diary, are you diminished in any way? . . . Or, elevated?

But I'm not a God. What choose to know or not doesn't affect all of reality and the very nature of existance.

I think you need to weigh your argument against omnipotence.

neologist wrote:
If God does exist, would you have him bound by necessity?

It's not a matter of what I would have or not have. There are logistics associated with the concepts of omniscience and omnipotence which demand certain assumptions.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 05:46 pm
neologist wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
As defined by its scriptures, the god of the Abrahamic mythopaeia is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, and - in particular - perfect.
And where is God defined as omnipresent or omniscient? Any citation would suffice.

If this is your definition of God, I don't believe in him either.

This is really a gigantic issue.

Interesting. I certainly can't cite any references to this, but it was my impression that *most* christians believed in an omniscient and omnipotent God.

Your vision of God must be something I'm not familiar with.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 06:31 pm
That God is NOT perfect (or even particularly worthy of respect, for any virtue other than His supposed power) can, on the other hand, be supported by any number of old testament verses.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 06:54 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:

So if your going to have children, and love them, why would you kill them because they will not obey you? Is killing them an act of love?

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/atrocity.html
So far I haven't killed any of my kids; and I sure as heck am not going to claim they are perfect examples of obedience.

God did not execute Adam and Eve. Their deaths were a CONSEQUENCE of their having lost physical (and moral) perfection.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 06:58 pm
Doktor S wrote:
People are not 'perfect' (by whatever arbitrary standard you can muster) and hence are capable of desiring change.
But if the skydaddy was perfect to begin with,before anything existed, where would a desire for change come from? After all, he was already perfectly content.
Just a guess, but the quality of free will is such an outstanding trait, perhaps God wished to have other sentient beings share in it.

That would, I think, be called love.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 07:02 pm
Neologist

What does A&E have to do with this?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 07:24 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
As defined by its scriptures, the god of the Abrahamic mythopaeia is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, and - in particular - perfect.
And where is God defined as omnipresent or omniscient? Any citation would suffice.

If this is your definition of God, I don't believe in him either.

This is really a gigantic issue.

Interesting. I certainly can't cite any references to this, but it was my impression that *most* christians believed in an omniscient and omnipotent God.

Your vision of God must be something I'm not familiar with.
None of the Om words appear in the bible. So, let's consider a few of them:

Omnipotent: Since God is described as all powerful and the creator of all things, possessing boundless energy and since his name means 'he who causes to become', this would apply.

Omniscient: This term places a necessity on God, namely that he cannot selectively use his infinite ability to know. Using this term in its strictest sense would be incorrect.

Omnipresent: According to the bible, the person of God resides in heaven. He is able to know all that he wishes to know by means of his active force (holy spirit - a force, not a person). So omnipresent would not apply. You couldn't worship God by talking to a tree, for example.

Additionally, the scripture in Exodus 3:14 "Eh·yeh Asher Eh·yeh", often translated 'I am that I am' is more appropriately rendered 'I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be'. This would indicate that God will accomplish whatever needs to be accomplished in order to attain his purpose. Therefore, he cannot be limited by our arbitrary definitions.

If you believe the bible, that is. References provided on request.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 07:25 pm
xingu wrote:
Neologist

What does A&E have to do with this?
Sorry xingu; I know we are off topic, but somehow we just got on to this.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 07:44 pm
neologist wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Just a guess, but the quality of free will is such an outstanding trait, perhaps God wished to have other sentient beings share in it.

That would, I think, be called love.

Freewill is an illusion. It exists in the realm of human perception alone.
When scrutinized freewill is an absurd concept, and really doesn't work either inside nor outside of a religious context.
Nor, for the record, do I share the assumption that 'love' is somehow special within the spectrum of emotional variants.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 09:27 pm
Doktor S wrote:

Since you do not seem to believe in perfection, then imperfection cannot exist without a perfect standard against which to measure it.

So then what does a desire for change (or lack of it) have to do with imperfection? There can be no relationship between them if one does not exist.

Many people are 'imperfect' by your odd definition, but desire no change. In fact, they are quite happy with their 'imperfection'. What do you make of them?

But again, if a Being was perfect, why would that imply totally passivity and lack of interest in doing anything? Why would one attribute necessitate the other? Seems an unwarranted assumption.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:16 pm
I am the Lord, and there is none else: there is no God besides me.
I am the First, and I am the Last, and besides me there is no God. (Isaiah 44: 5-6)

I am the Lord God, that maketh all things, that alone stretch out the heavens, that establish the earth. (Isaiah 44: 24)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end," says the Lord God. (Apocalypse 1: 8)

Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and of his greatness there is no end. (Psalm 144: 3)

Behold, O Lord, thou hast known all things, the last and those of old: thou hast formed me, and hast laid thy hand upon me.
Thy knowledge is become wonderful to me: it is high, and I cannot reach it. (Psalm 138: 5-6)

Whither may I go from thy spirit, or whither may I flee from thy face? (Psalm 138: 7)

For nothing shall be impossible with God. (Luke 1:37)

Be ye therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 6:48)

Pretty well seems to me there's adequate scriptural claim of omnipotence, omniscience, omniprresence, and perfection as to render reasonable the conclusion such are the attributes of the purported god.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:53 pm
RL wrote:

Since you do not seem to believe in perfection, then imperfection cannot exist without a perfect standard against which to measure it.

Agreed.
Quote:

So then what does a desire for change (or lack of it) have to do with imperfection? There can be no relationship between them if one does not exist.

Many people are 'imperfect' by your odd definition, but desire no change. In fact, they are quite happy with their 'imperfection'. What do you make of them?

You are building a strawman here. I didn't say a desire for change was the only disqualification for 'perfection'(and yes, this is assuming an absolute standard by which to measure perfection by, which is a huge assumption)
Quote:

But again, if a Being was perfect, why would that imply totally passivity and lack of interest in doing anything? Why would one attribute necessitate the other? Seems an unwarranted assumption.

If a perfect being exists in a perfect state, any alteration of this state would make it less perfect, and since 'perfection' is an absolute and doesn't come in degrees, not perfect at all.
So either this being was imperfect before the creation and the act of creation brought about it's 'perfect state', or it was in a perfect state prior and lessened that state through the act of creation.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:03 pm
Doktor S wrote:
RL wrote:

Agreed.
Quote:

You are building a strawman here. I didn't say a desire for change was the only disqualification for 'perfection'(and yes, this is assuming an absolute standard by which to measure perfection by, which is a huge assumption)
Quote:

If a perfect being exists in a perfect state, any alteration of this state would make it less perfect, and since 'perfection' is an absolute and doesn't come in degrees, not perfect at all.
So either this being was imperfect before the creation and the act of creation brought about it's 'perfect state', or it was in a perfect state prior and lessened that state through the act of creation.

Since you do not believe that perfection exists, how is it that you feel qualified to state in such absolute terms what it's attributes are?

Why do you assume that if a pefect Being did anything other than sit perfectly still that this would render it less than perfect?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:06 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I am the Lord, and there is none else: there is no God besides me.
I am the First, and I am the Last, and besides me there is no God. (Isaiah 44: 5-6)

I am the Lord God, that maketh all things, that alone stretch out the heavens, that establish the earth. (Isaiah 44: 24)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end," says the Lord God. (Apocalypse 1: 8)

Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and of his greatness there is no end. (Psalm 144: 3)

Behold, O Lord, thou hast known all things, the last and those of old: thou hast formed me, and hast laid thy hand upon me.
Thy knowledge is become wonderful to me: it is high, and I cannot reach it. (Psalm 138: 5-6)

Whither may I go from thy spirit, or whither may I flee from thy face? (Psalm 138: 7)

Be ye therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 6:48)

Pretty well seems to me there's adequate scriptural claim of omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, and perfection.......

Scary.

Second time this month we've agreed.

(However, as noted previously, the Bible's definition of perfection is at odds with yours.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:27 am
timberlandko wrote:
. . . I am the Lord, and there is none else: there is no God besides me.

Uh Huh!
timberlandko wrote:
Improper translation of the original text; but so what?
timberlandko wrote:

So far, OK!
timberlandko wrote:
Including his attribute of selective foreknowledge, no doubt.
timberlandko wrote:
And this means he can't do what?
timberlandko wrote:
Pretty well seems to me there's adequate scriptural claim of omnipotence, omniscience, omniprresence, and perfection as to render reasonable the conclusion such are the attributes of the purported god.
Omnipotence, yes. But timber, I am amazed at your ability to ignore what has been presented.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:42 am
Not ignoring a thing, neo, just taking what there is for what there is, taking what is said for what is meant, neither applying special definitions nor assuming convenient interpretations - just reading what is written in the scriptures - reading it objectively, critically, dispassionately, and with mere academic interest and rigor. You bring to it whatever you wish, I take from it what I find there.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:00 am
timberlandko wrote:
Not ignoring a thing, neo, just taking what there is for what there is, taking what is said for what is meant,
Really. . .
timberlandko wrote:
neither applying special definitions
Really. . .
How about special words?
timberlandko wrote:
nor assuming convenient interpretations
Really. . .
By your account, the omnipotent God is incapable of selective foreknowledge. That works well if you need a reason to disbelieve.
timberlandko wrote:
just reading what is written in the scriptures - reading it objectively, critically, dispassionately, and with mere academic interest and rigor.
Really. . .
How does the concept of human choice fit in with your deterministic understanding?
"I do take the heavens and the earth as witnesses against YOU today, that I have put life and death before you, the blessing and the malediction; and you must choose life in order that you may keep alive, you and your offspring." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
timberlandko wrote:
You bring to it whatever you wish, I take from it what I find there.
You have found only that for which you have searched.
0 Replies