Arella Mae

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
Having too good of a day to not try to pass it along!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:45 pm
Thanks, MA! (Even those of us whose faith has lapsed appreciate the thought.)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
wandeljw,

Faith may waiver, faith may wan, but if you have at least the tiniest shred of hope, you still have faith! My prayers are with you this day.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:27 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Well, this behaviour can possibly be explained by their current position in the world. May I repeat an extract from an article from New Scientist to you?

Quote:

Because the fundamentalists come to the Bible with a partisan agenda, they are unable to offer any striking insights. As a result, fundamentalist biblical scholarship is "sterile", he says. Fundamentalist Christianity is widely considered as irrelevant to modern theology as it is to modern science.

And that, for the fundamentalists, is a terrible blow. Irrelevance is not something that people with this group psychology can tolerate. A movement that considers itself a key player in the greatest story ever told can't afford to be perceived as peripheral.

At this point, the desperation sets in.

Source: "Meeting of minds" written by Michael Brooks for New Scientist. 8 October 2005, p.44

We can only hope they're "sterile". My greatest fear is that the Fundies become relevant.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:08 pm
Group psychology?

My despair that I feel for the world set in when the irreverance toward God took hold.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 04:28 pm
spendius wrote:
... Why is my contribution meaningless.

For the umpteenth time, I submit quite simply that it proceeds from an illicit premis, a premis founded on nothing more substantial than assumption, preference, and superstition, dependent wholly upon itself, supported only by internal reference; the quintessential example of Petitio Principii/Circulus in Demonstrando.

See also: Aristotle, Sophistical Refutations 5 (167b: 1 - 15).

Quote:
Are we all the result of a series of random accidents without meaning or purpose or not?

This at once is a straw man and a false dichotomy..

Quote:
It is a simple enough question.The scientists usually say "yes" to it.What do you say?

The above error repeated, more or less; "random accidents" is a construction of your own devising, not a concept endorsed by "most scientists", and I say, as do "most scientists", "Dunno - not enough data". "Random Chance" does not enter into the question other than as artificially injected by religionists. Science makes no assumption or assertion regarding the ultimate "WHY of the way things are the way they are", so to speak, assigning no responsibility either to a deistic creator or to random chance, but analyzes and compares data and derives therefrom conclusions - theories, if you will - which with the fewest assumptions, contradictions, and improbabilities most closely approximate, define, predict, and/or explain observed phenomena. Science simply determines, within the contemporary constraints of its time-acquired development and growth, the way things appear to be given the at-the-moment-available evidence, always leaving itself open to revision and/or adjustment pursuant to subsequent discovery. Science does not deny deity, it does not confirm deity, it does not consider deity, and, by the available evidence, it gets along quite well for that. Science seeks answers, acknowledging there are answers beyond its current grasp, ever seeking to expand that grasp, whereas the religionist proposition decrees itself to be unquestionably the answer, on no more authority than its own assertion that it is the answer.

Quote:
... We do not lock rapists up for the rape.We lock them up because a large majority of the population has exerted its power to do so.How else could an evolutionist approach the matter.How does an evolutionist take a moral stance on anything.An evolutionist simply shrugs.If that.

There you go again. I'll grant that not only are you consistent, but also you - as are many of those endorsing the proposition you press - indefatigable; academically foundationless, but consistent and indefatigable.

Quote:
Tell me Timber.How do I as a flat out scientific evolutionist take a moral stance on anything.

And you do it yet again; in response, I ask you by what criteria must morals and/or ethics devolve from religionist foundation?

Quote:
... I would really like to know.Perhaps I can soften my image with your help.If people like me were running things the ladies would have to stay indoors under strict supervision instead of running loose sending sexually provocative signals out if they didn't want to risk being grabbed.Let the devil take the hindmost is evolutionist wisdom isn't it.

Poppycock. See Ad Consequentiam and Reducio Ad Absurdum for starters.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 06:38 pm
It's bedtime here and a clean cut evolutionist such as myself has the electric blankets on full blast and is drawn by the inexorable forces to snuggle down between them.

I will say before I go in refernce to-

Quote:

that the gent concerned,as far as I understand it,did not think of himself as a quick witted monkey.He seems to have thought of himself as a big cheese.Something touched with divinity.

I suffer from no such delusions.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:05 pm
timberlandko wrote:
And you do it yet again; in response, I ask you by what criteria must morals and/or ethics devolve from religionist foundation?
They don't of course. Groups of humans have a tendency to form social contracts for the 'common good'.

In the best of worlds, these contracts guarantee equality, justice, liberty, etc.

In the worst of worlds - well, uh, look around.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:10 pm
spendius wrote:
It's bedtime here and a clean cut evolutionist such as myself has the electric blankets on full blast and is drawn by the inexorable forces to snuggle down between them.

I will say before I go in refernce to-

Quote:

that the gent concerned,as far as I understand it,did not think of himself as a quick witted monkey.He seems to have thought of himself as a big cheese.Something touched with divinity.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, we have a clear and concise example of the Chewbacca Defense
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:44 pm
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
I'll try to be careful in using sarcasm around you, Ros.

So I'll speak plainly. You may consider cichlids "evolving" into cichlids as smoking gun type evidence of evolution. I do not.

Then you are simply wrong.

Well, I guess you've settled it, haven't you? Impressive, indeed. Laughing

Not really. You've been flagrantly wrong on a great many posts. I've simply stopped trying to explain it to you. Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:47 pm
timberlandko wrote:
And there, ladies and gentlemen, we have a clear and concise example of the Chewbacca Defense

What do you call it when someone actually *believes* their own Chewbacca_Defense?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:37 pm
Must be when that Jedi mind trick backfires.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:40 pm
Wilso wrote:
THE Vatican .................the centre of theological study.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:10 am
InfraBlue wrote:
RL wrote:
Hi Infra,

It's not the definition of the word 'species' that is the crux, it's the definition of the word 'evolution'.

The definition of the word 'species' is important so that we can be on the same page while discussing things that concern 'species' such as 'evolution.'

The point is that taxonomical jargon is often used to mask an argument which is basically circular when evolution is allowed to be assumed rather than evidenced.

'How are structural similarities in creatures produced? By common ancestry. How do we know creatures share common ancestors? By observing structural similarities in each.'
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:13 am
rl wrote:
The point is that taxonomical jargon is often used to mask an argument which is basically circular when evolution is allowed to be assumed rather than evidenced.

'How are structural similarities in creatures produced? By common ancestry. How do we know creatures share common ancestors? By observing structural similarities in each.'

And so, how do you define species?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:03 am
spendius wrote:
I hold to that view myself actually.And I accept all that follows from it.I suspect half-baked evolutionists are present.I'm full blown and I think half-baked supporters do discredit to the cause.They seem to me to be only seeking to cosy up to science as a self-esteem booster.On the hard questions they close their ears.

Actually, the "half baked" supporters get something you don't, that no ethical imperatives can be derived without ethical premises, which must in turn derive from other ethical premises, and so on until one reaches axioms. They do not accept the ethical premises which you continue to leave out in making your arguments. I pointed this out to you on the other thread remember?

spendius wrote:
We do not lock rapists up for the rape.We lock them up because a large majority of the population has exerted its power to do so.How else could an evolutionist approach the matter.How does an evolutionist take a moral stance on anything.An evolutionist simply shrugs.If that.

Actually, on my planet, we do lock rapists up for the rape. "We" being the large majority of the population which is exserting its power. And we have made our intentions in that regard quite clear (ever heard of laws?), so there is no reason for any would be rapist to doubt the cause and effect relationship between those events. (yeah, yeah, we don't catch all of them, but you get the gist of it right?)

And proponents of evolution arrive at their ethical imperatives the same way any other human does, by establishing axiomatic ethical imperatives, and derive a system of ethics based on those axioms in conjunction with their understanding of the world.

spendius wrote:
Tell me Timber.How do I as a flat out scientific evolutionist take a moral stance on anything.

We've been over this. You seem to have taken the stance though that it is preferable (right) to not have people act as you imagine they would if they weren't influenced by theists, how do you arrive at that ethical imperative if you are an oh so amoral "evolutionist"?

I've devised a thought experiment for you by the way. imagine for a moment that the invisible creature in the sky is real. How do you now take a moral stance on anything?

You could settle on the ethical axiom to do the creatures bidding of course, but founding your system of ethics on an axiom would concede my case. You could posit that this good was good, and proceed to do it's bidding, but you would then have founded your system of ethics on an axiom again, that one ought to do good. If you consider that to be part of the definition of the word "good" then "the creature is is good" is simply a rewrite of axiom one, "one ought to do the creatures bidding".

No matter how you twist and turn it you can not get around the facts that:

* All ethical imperatives must either derive from other ethical imperatives, or be established as first principles.

* Circular logic is invalid.

* Infinite regression won't do

From which follows:

* All ethical imperatives are either first principles, or derived from first principles.

And as we all know first principles must be considered "self evident" or "true by definition". In another word axioms. Thus any system of ethics is an axiomatic structure.

Can you come up with any reason why someone with a materialistic understanding of the universe would be less inclined to establish an axiomatic structure of ethics than someone with a theistic understanding?

spendius wrote:
I would really like to know.

I've told you twice, all you need to do is pick up on it.

spendius wrote:
If people like me were running things the ladies would have to stay indoors under strict supervision instead of running loose sending sexually provocative signals out if they didn't want to risk being grabbed.

You might want to rephrase that, the way it reads at present it isn't very flattering. (Oh, but there is no more editing, I guess you'll look like an asshole til the end of able2know.)
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:15 am
InfraBlue wrote:

i think your question is "fundamental" since evolution is a process through which new species develop.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:26 am
Quote:
Quote:

Never heard of it.Is it just a smear?
Did Aristotle know he was a monkey like we modern evolutionists do.Or even a microbe.It's a simple question.

Quote:
What do you call it when someone actually *believes* their own Chewbacca_Defense?

Smear on smear.

Quote:
THE Vatican .................the centre of theological study.

True.

Quote:

I'm the species spendius obstrocalus.

Quote:
Actually, the "half baked" supporters get something you don't, that no ethical imperatives can be derived without ethical premises, which must in turn derive from other ethical premises, and so on until one reaches axioms.

There are no ethical imperatives so I don't see any meaning in that.I'm full baked.That's why I leave ethical imperatives out.Some body who doesn't apply them,as I don't,to monkeys or microbes and then does apply them to,say,close female relatives is half-baked.

Quote:
Actually, on my planet, we do lock rapists up for the rape.

If you haven't read Germaine Greer what has that to do with me.I'm glad you mentioned the "power" play though.

Hence-

Quote:
And we have made our intentions in that regard quite clear (ever heard of laws?), so there is no reason for any would be rapist to doubt the cause and effect relationship between those events. (yeah, yeah, we don't catch all of them, but you get the gist of it right?)

That's irrelevant.There are other systems of law.We are discussing principles here.

Quote:
And proponents of evolution arrive at their ethical imperatives the same way any other human does, by establishing axiomatic ethical imperatives, and derive a system of ethics based on those axioms in conjunction with their understanding of the world.

I can't answer for "proponents of evolution".

Quote:
preferable (right)

Can't see the connection I'm afraid.

Quote:
We've been over this. You seem to have taken the stance though that it is preferable (right) to not have people act as you imagine they would if they weren't influenced by theists, how do you arrive at that ethical imperative if you are an oh so amoral "evolutionist"?

"seem"?That's a bit loose.
Selfishness is the answer,Or convenience.Nothing to do with principles or ethical imperatives.

Quote:
I've devised a thought experiment for you by the way. imagine for a moment that the invisible creature in the sky is real. How do you now take a moral stance on anything?

Ridiculous.I don't take moral stances.(Except sometimes for fun).Sugar's good and alcohol etc.In moderation of course.

Quote:
* All ethical imperatives are either first principles, or derived from first principles.

There are no first principles.It all just happened.The principles on here come under the pleasure principle which is derived from the happening.I like arguing.

Quote:
Can you come up with any reason why someone with a materialistic understanding of the universe would be less inclined to establish an axiomatic structure of ethics than someone with a theistic understanding?

A materialistic understanding wouldn't just be "less inclined".It would have no inclination.

I might add there that a theist establishing a structure of ethics,an Ayatollah for example,is still operating on selfishness.

Quote:
spendius wrote:
If people like me were running things the ladies would have to stay indoors under strict supervision instead of running loose sending sexually provocative signals out if they didn't want to risk being grabbed.

You might want to rephrase that, the way it reads at present it isn't very flattering. (Oh, but there is no more editing, I guess you'll look like an **** til the end of able2know.)

Why would I want to rephrase that?It looks okay to me.The ladies before the "permissive society" got started were under fairly strict supervision and the further back you go the stricter it got.You don't seriously think Mike Tyson would have been convicted on that evidence in the 30s,40s or 50s do you.Ladies who rejected the supervision were on their own according to the cops and the judges and the juries unless assault came into it and bodily harm.It isn't that long since ladies weren't even allowed to give evidence in court.Are you a feminist because if you are,and it sounds like it,feminism doesn't seem to be making the ladies very happy from what I can see.

Phew!
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:33 pm
Spendius wrote:
There are no ethical imperatives so I don't see any meaning in that.I'm full baked.That's why I leave ethical imperatives out.Some body who doesn't apply them,as I don't,to monkeys or microbes and then does apply them to,say,close female relatives is half-baked.

Exactly, if you aren't going to set up a system of ethics religion isn't going to help you do it. Theistic notions are not relevant.

Spendius wrote:
That's irrelevant.There are other systems of law.We are discussing principles here.

People have always formed social contracts, it is in their selfish interests to do so. The social contract will then enshrine the interests, selfish or not, of those with the power to shape it. This will not end regardless of peoples religious views.

Spendius wrote:
I can't answer for "proponents of evolution".

Semantics. Oh well, you're right, make it people with an understanding of evolution.

Spendius wrote:
Selfishness is the answer,Or convenience.Nothing to do with principles or ethical imperatives.

That same convinience would have you enter a social contract no doubt.

Spendius wrote:
Quote:

Ridiculous.I don't take moral stances.(Except sometimes for fun).Sugar's good and alcohol etc.In moderation of course.

You've just conceded my point, morality does not logically follow from theism any more than it does from evolution and vica versa. If your argument is to hold water now you'll have to argue that the general population of theists do not harbor any system of ethics, and only act morally due to the promise of punishment/reward.

Spendius wrote:
There are no first principles.It all just happened.The principles on here come under the pleasure principle which is derived from the happening.I like arguing.

There are ethical imperatives, they exist in peoples minds as notions, and are the subject of debate. It follows that there are also first principles.

Now, you are making the case that either people do not commonly establish such first principles, and derive a system of ethics, or they are more likely to establish such first principles as theists. I do belive the burden of evidence is on you.

Spendius wrote:
A materialistic understanding wouldn't just be "less inclined".It would have no inclination.

Why would a person with a theistic world view have more of an inclination to adopt or establish first principles than someone with a materialistic world view?

And no, I'm not a feminist (I'm male), I'm a classical liberal. And it doesn't take a feminist to scowl on rape, and on the blame the victim approach.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:21 pm
Quote:
If your argument is to hold water now you'll have to argue that the general population of theists do not harbor any system of ethics, and only act morally due to the promise of punishment/reward.

No, we act morally because there is logic behind the commandments. They provide for peaceful and meaningful living. Many agnostics (I'll use Frank as an example) apply many of Jesus's teachings into their own philosiphy. Frank doesn't use them because he expects a reward or fears a punishment, he uses them because they work.
0 Replies