0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:00 am
1 Thessalonians 5:21: "Make sure of all things. . ."
Compare 1 John 4:1.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:46 am
Gotcha. So glad you pointed 1 John 4:1 out to me. I needed that verse today.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 05:31 am
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17162341-13762,00.html

Quote:

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.

Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.

His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

Not only do the anti-evolutionists claim to know more about science than the finest minds on earth, they can now also claim to be better informed on theological matters than the centre of theological study.

Or maybe they're just complete nut jobs who are registered members of the fringe dwellers society. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:56 am
Wilso wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17162341-13762,00.html

Quote:

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

Those are both statements I agree with.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:58 am
real life wrote:
I'll try to be careful in using sarcasm around you, Ros.

So I'll speak plainly. You may consider cichlids "evolving" into cichlids as smoking gun type evidence of evolution. I do not.

Then you are simply wrong.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:13 am
Not only is "real life" wrong, he persists in his wrong-headed descriptions of processes which he only dimmly understands, and an understanding of which is not his goal. He's operating on the last man standing principle in this thread, that by puking up his propaganda endlessly, we will eventually go away, and he will "win." For him, "winning" will consist in having the last word, hoping to convince those who show up in this thread, disinclined to read the preceeding 500+ pages, that a theory of evolution in unreliable and as subject to speculation as his imaginary friend superstition.

The creationists are desparate to uphold the silly thesis so dear to their heart, and hope that by sowing doubt and confusion, they can maintain their position. They're in a rear-guard action, and they're falling back into the last ditch. It is important to continue to refute their nonsense, and to point out that a theory of evolution is well-founded in the scientific method, and that the imaginary friend superstition depends upon an unrealistic reliance on wishful thinking.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:50 am
Quote:
I offered this-

Quote:
Was it an intelligent design,which would have no difficulty with your thesis,repetitive though it is,or are you and me and everybody else,including your nearest and dearest,the result of a random accident without meaning or purpose?

And Timber responded thus-

Quote:
Now there's a wagon of false dichotomy drawn by a team of straw men - great job. Meaningless, but a great job of getting to meaningless none the less.

That neat pattern of assertions only baffles me if I assume it isn't simply heckling.

Why is my contribution meaningless.Are we all the result of a series of random accidents without meaning or purpose or not?It is a simple enough question.The scientists usually say "yes" to it.What do you say?

I hold to that view myself actually.And I accept all that follows from it.I suspect half-baked evolutionists are present.I'm full blown and I think half-baked supporters do discredit to the cause.They seem to me to be only seeking to cosy up to science as a self-esteem booster.On the hard questions they close their ears.

We do not lock rapists up for the rape.We lock them up because a large majority of the population has exerted its power to do so.How else could an evolutionist approach the matter.How does an evolutionist take a moral stance on anything.An evolutionist simply shrugs.If that.

Tell me Timber.How do I as a flat out scientific evolutionist take a moral stance on anything.

I would really like to know.Perhaps I can soften my image with your help.If people like me were running things the ladies would have to stay indoors under strict supervision instead of running loose sending sexually provocative signals out if they didn't want to risk being grabbed.Let the devil take the hindmost is evolutionist wisdom isn't it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:22 am
News Flash:

(Source Wilso)

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin

Well, I guess there can be no more argument. Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:23 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

So I'll speak plainly. You may consider cichlids "evolving" into cichlids as smoking gun type evidence of evolution. I do not.

Then you are simply wrong.

Well, I guess you've settled it, haven't you? Impressive, indeed. Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:27 am
You're up against the power of the Vatican, real. Watch out! Torquemada will get ya! Laughing
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:29 am
real life wrote:

Quote:

Well THAT lasted awhile. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:32 am
neologist wrote:
You're up against the power of the Vatican, real. Watch out! Torquemada will get ya! Laughing

Torquemada operated in Spain. The rules of canon legal procedure required that the officers of a canon court be resident in the dioceses in which a religious crime--be it impious or heretical--was alleged to have taken place. Therefore, Torquemada had no authority in Rome.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:39 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

Torquemada operated in Spain. The rules of canon legal procedure required that the officers of a canon court be resident in the dioceses in which a religious crime--be it impious or heretical--was alleged to have taken place. Therefore, Torquemada had no authority in Rome.
I heard Torky joined Opus Dei. Laughing
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:58 am
Wilso wrote:
Not only do the anti-evolutionists claim to know more about science than the finest minds on earth, they can now also claim to be better informed on theological matters than the centre of theological study.

Well, this behaviour can possibly be explained by their current position in the world. May I repeat an extract from an article from New Scientist to you?

Quote:
...how does this kind of conflict translate into a social war, like that being waged over the role of science? Part of the answer lies in fundamentalists' needs to bolster group identity by reframing their beliefs in the terms of the dominant culture [secular, scientific culture]. Savage points out, a certain level of evidence is generally required in order for knowledge to count and for individuals to act on it. Fundamentalists respond by attempting to "prove" their core beliefs: they "science-up" their faith, framing it in a way that they think ought to make sense to a scientific culture. Their claims then become, in their eyes at least, as valid as science's claims...

However, this tactic has backfired, with damaging consequences. According to James Barr, professor of Hebrew Bible at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, and author of a number of books critical of Christian fundamentalism, these ... have produced a "deep intellectual self-distrust" that shows iutself in an insatiable craving for intellectual credibility. That is why creationists strive to have a debate with scientists, and why they trumpet any academic qualifications they might possess. It may also explain why, for instance, George Gilder, a senior fellow of the fundamentalist Discovery Institute in Seattle, invokes the uncertainty principle of quantum theory to shore up a faith-based philosophy.

But to no avail. according to Barr, fundamentalists have failed to gain intellectual acceptance even within mainstream Christian scholarship. Because the fundamentalists come to the Bible with a partisan agenda, they are unable to offer any striking insights. As a result, fundamentalist biblical scholarship is "sterile", he says. Fundamentalist Christianity is widely considered as irrelevant to modern theology as it is to modern science.

And that, for the fundamentalists, is a terrible blow. Irrelevance is not something that people with this group psychology can tolerate. A movement that considers itself a key player in the greatest story ever told can't afford to be perceived as peripheral.

At this point, the desperation sets in.

Source: "Meeting of minds" written by Michael Brooks for New Scientist. 8 October 2005, p.44
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 12:08 pm
neologist wrote:

Would you rather hear from fundamentalists such as Pat Robertson?
Quote:
"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover, if there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city, and don't wonder why he hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin, and I'm not saying they will. But if they do, just remember you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, then don't ask for his help, because he might not be there."
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 12:28 pm
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

Quote:

Well THAT lasted awhile. Rolling Eyes

How true. One of my many failings.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
Back to this stuff again? C'mon everyone! Show the love today!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:06 pm
wandeljw wrote:
neologist wrote:

Would you rather hear from fundamentalists such as Pat Robertson?
Quote:
"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover, if there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city, and don't wonder why he hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin, and I'm not saying they will. But if they do, just remember you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, then don't ask for his help, because he might not be there."
Pat does his ancestor well.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:07 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Back to this stuff again? C'mon everyone! Show the love today!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
AWWW! http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/cheekkiss.gif
0 Replies