brahmin

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:20 pm
funny how the people (2ndary semetics) who claim to worship a just, kind, loving, merciful god are are ones who have, over centuries, perfected the fine art of genocide, while the un-saved unbelieving worshippers of "false" gods - though dont have a unblemished record, have hardly ever indulged in religious killings.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:32 pm
Quote:
Could you tell me where in the Bible I can find these? I looked for them in my index and concordance and could not find them listed. I would be happy to address this with you if I could find and read this.

I would speculate the reason the Biblical God had them killed was they were living on the land God had decided to give the Israelites. For Christians I guess that is as good a reason as any to kill men, women and children.

Someone once told me God had these people killed because they practiced child sacrifice. Of course that made a lot of sense. God was so offended by child sacrifice that he killed all the children.

Quote:
I would say though that since in Biblical times children were far more oft than not to adopt their parents' beliefs and lifestyles? So, perhaps it was looked upon as they would also grow up to do the same things? I do not know that for sure. That is just a logical explanation IMO.

The same holds true today. So by that logic we should, like the Israelites with God's blessing, kill any non-Christians we choose. Looking at the sordid history of Christianity, that is what they seem to do. Not only do they have a history of killing non-Christians but even their own. The Bible is good at teaching Christians to kill. God leads by example.

Quote:
Again, these are things of the Old Testament. Yes, God caused plagues, etc. What would you have Him do? Say, uh, oh, excuse me, but if you don't stop that I am going to ground you for a week? Since God is perfect and without sin He is at one end of the spectrum as just we humans are at the other end. I can only tell you that God obviously considered the punishment to fit the crime.

That's a poor excuse to kill babies and children. I suppose the thousand plus people killed by Katrina was God's doing for sins committed. So go tell the relatives of those who lost someone to Katrina that God did this to punish someone else that was guilty. With a God that bad I can see why there are atheist in this world.

Quote:
Read the Ten Commandments. Those laws are not abandoned.

Read the first four commandments. There is no room for free will here. Believe or die. This is an example of God not measuring up to America's ideals. This country and others in this world respect all religious and non-religious. Another reason why this God in the Bible is bad and false.

Quote:
You have free will to follow man's laws do you not? It's the same principle. If you don't follow man's laws you are punished. If you do not follow God's laws you are punished. You are the one who makes the decision of what to do.

Again, your trying to make God like a human. God is nothing like a human. Why should God care what our sexual practices are, or what religion we choose. Men make laws to hold society together, to promote protection and safety its citizens. Or as Plato said; "Because making laws is a way in which rationality is exercised, and rationality is one of the essential properties of man."

What is the purpose of God's laws. Why should it matter to him whether we believe in him or not. Does he have an ego problem; an inferiority complex? Whatever it is, the Biblical God's head isn't screwed on to tight. Having murderous temper flare ups, paranoia over what we believe, homicidal tendencies, shows me a very imperfect deity. If we had humans like him they would be in prison.

You keep bring up this business about sin. Sin is subjective. It's different from one cult or sect to another. It's different from generation to generation. We are the one's who declare what sin is, not God. We are the ones who make God. God hates whatever we hate. God loves whatever we love. That's why there are so many gods and religions. Long past our time there will be new gods and different sins. They will all take their authority from something; the Bible, Koran, visions, or whatever. It's endless. It will be that way as long as we are ignorant about God and God's dimension.

This will be my last post till next weekend. I don't have much time for this during the week; that is until January 3. Then I retire.

Good night all
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:35 pm
xingu, You're retiring in January? Good for you! Retirement is much better than any anticipation of it you might have; and you'll wonder why you didn't earlier in your life. Welcome to the freedom set.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
Actually, a deity resembling anything like the bible god would be in an insane asylum, because no sane human would allow him running around preaching to kill at will any and all the people who disagrees with him.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Actually, a deity resembling anything like the bible god would be in an insane asylum, because no sane human would allow him running around preaching to kill at will any and all the people who disagrees with him.

The very idea of a 'personal God' is oxymoronic.

How could something which is deific possibly interact with, or think like, mortal creatures who are entrenched in space-time. It makes no sense.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:58 pm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:55 pm
Why religion is dangerous:

Chicago Cardinal Adds to Clergy's Criticism of Religious Movement
Associated Press
Sunday, September 25, 2005; A10

CHICAGO, Sept. 24 -- Cardinal Francis George of Chicago is joining other Roman Catholic leaders in criticizing a secretive religious movement, banning the group from meeting in churches or other archdiocesan facilities.

Members say the Love Holy Trinity Blessed Mission, founded 12 years ago, is based on Catholic teachings and is trying to establish itself as a new religious order. It holds weekly prayer meetings in nearly 100 Catholic churches in Illinois, Iowa, Indiana and Wisconsin.

On Friday, George announced that the Rev. Len Kruzel, who had been working full time at the group's headquarters on Chicago's Northwest Side, will be recalled to a pastoral position.

"While they have been functioning here for a number of years, the 'Love Holy Trinity Blessed Mission' has no official approval as a lay movement or as a religious order in the Catholic Church," the cardinal said in a statement.

The cardinal's statement followed a six-month review of the group by priests and church scholars who received few answers to their questions about the group's operations and theology, archdiocesan officials said.

Love Holy Trinity member Dick Vogt said leader Agnes Kyo McDonald is unavailable for a comment "because of the persecution" of her group.

Bishops in Rockford, Ill., and Madison, Wis., have criticized the group in recent months. The strongest statement came Sept. 15 from Archbishop Jerome Hanus of Dubuque, Iowa, after some families in his diocese accused the group of using "cultlike" tactics.

Monsignor James O. Barta, vicar general of the Archdiocese of Dubuque, said the diocese acted because of concern about a young woman, 19, who left home to become a "sister" in the group. Ashley Fahey's mother and stepfather said they have been cut off from her for more than a month.

"I feel so cheated, so lied to," Lora Knott told the Chicago Tribune. "How can they claim to be Catholic? The Catholic Church doesn't tear families apart."

The couple said that when they attempted to enter the Love Holy Trinity offices Friday, they were turned away by a man who reportedly told them: "Your daughter has made her choice. Respect her wishes."

© 2005 The Washington Post Company
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:27 pm
brahmin wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
In the time of the OT God actually spoke to people. He no longer does that.

try that on retards. or creationalists.

brahmin,

I am not sure exactly what you mean here. But, He communicated with people. Moses and the burning bush?

I did not mean He does not communicate with us today in any way. He just doesn't do it the way He used to.

I really expected the kind of response you gave me in response to my offer of proof. No surprise there.

Just one thing though, I thought Abraham Lincoln was the one that said you can fool some of the people all the time, all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time?

And Brahmin, if you do not believe it, then don't worry about it. If you are correct, what do you have to worry about and why concern yourself with it at all?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:36 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
But, He communicated with people. Moses and the burning bush?

I did not mean He does not communicate with us today in any way. He just doesn't do it the way He used to.

would that be the original bushism ???

and what technique is used these days?? Apple I-pods?? - "apple" being the catch-word Wink
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:41 pm
brahmin wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
But, He communicated with people. Moses and the burning bush?

would that be the original bushism ???

and what technique is used these days?? Apple I-pods?? - "apple" being the catch-word Wink

Are you having a good time making fun of me and what I believe?

It's ok for you to believe what you believe and not ok for me to believe what I believe.

Do I make jokes about what you believe? Do I makes jokes about you?

What religious freedom are you offering me?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:56 pm
Are you having a good time making fun of me and what I believe?
----->
i am making fun of neither.

It's ok for you to believe what you believe and not ok for me to believe what I believe.
------------>
i did not say that did i??
its one thing to believe in a certain theology, and quite another to believe that it came from a bush or an i-pod.

Do I make jokes about what you believe?
--------> no you dont. and neither do i.

Do I makes jokes about you?
-------> you havent yet. me neither.

What religious freedom are you offering me?
--------->
complete.
only i am not buying the mode of communication.

and now answer me.

you said god used to communicate with man back then, and now does it differently.
i asked how.
you said burning bush.

so now try to defend the possibility/probability of the bush actually talking - with scientifically valid arguements - since you so firmly believe that it did actually occur - instead of accusing me of things i have not done or said.

also since you dont quite agree with me that i-pods are too popular, then let me know how the communication goes on these days (you yourself said that back then it was bushes and now different). so how??
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:04 pm
brahmin, I really wish you could learn to use the quote feature. It would make it so much easier to follow the posts. C'mon brahmin... don't be so lazy.

Oh, and nobody said that the bush did the speaking!
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:08 pm
yes that would be a bit much - a bush with theology to share.

that dont change the fact that voices (doesnt matter who's) dont come out of bushes.

or does it?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:12 pm
If the voices can be in your head, they can be in the bush.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:15 pm
yes.

and in both cases - "voice hearers" - whether they hear voices in their head, or in a bush - have good imagination.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:18 pm
Intrepid wrote:
If the voices can be in your head, they can be in the bush.

i am sorry, but i just could not fail to see the similarity - so here's an off topic post.

"a voice in the head is worth two in the bush" !
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
xingu wrote:

This is something that must be taken seriously because the consequences could be very severe for the human population. We should be preparing for the worse case scenario rather then make excuses like these;

real life wrote:
Do we really think that folks taking temperature readings 50, 60 , 70, 100 years ago were able to take them with the same accuracy as we can today?

A difference of as little as 1-2 degrees due to the lack of precision in equipment years ago, or due to human error or other factors can greatly affect these studies.

Obviously you don't understand what I wrote.

If the data isn't accurate, how can the conclusions being drawn from the data be accurate?

In the global warming debate, as in the evolution debate, evidence that indicates anything but the preordained conclusion is ignored, or pooh poohed as in your response.

Sorry, that's not my idea of science. True science takes ALL the data, and it's accuracy or lack of it, into consideration, doesn't it?

If you are old enough to remember, way back when I was in school it was GLOBAL COOLING that scientists were verysure was going to happen. And the cause? Uh, well.... we were taught it was the build up of greenhouse gases due to human activity such as industrial manufacture, electrical generation and automobiles. Sound familiar?

This has obvious application to the evolution debate because the aura of infallibility that pervades the scientific priesthood is used to try to shut down dissent in both instances.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:51 pm
After warming comes cooling: Or is it the other way around, after cooling comes warming....
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:05 pm
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:
Earthquakes on Mars; God's practice site.

Mars warming; God is sending so many souls to Hell that he has run out of room. Mars is the overflow.

Many scientists are very sure that global warming on Earth is caused by human activity. ( I wonder what's causing the Martian warming?)
Perhaps it is all the IDers and ECKers who ran out of room on Venus.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:08 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm an old fart whose traveled around the world a few times.
Was that you in Tacoma? Laughing Or Seacaucus? Laughing
0 Replies