Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 06:17 am
This boogy is a mess . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:09 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
Because the great god Speciathon has not yet realized they are less fit to survive. (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

This is a specious construct--any creature which survives is fit by definition. It is breeding opportunity which determines the viability of a species over time. Monkeys and apes have done quite well in that regard--until the greatest of the great apes (allegedly) shows up to destroy their respective habitats.
You are right and once again I must apologize for my knee jerk jerk-headedness. Embarrassed Also for misspelling the name of the god Speciation who, as we all know, is not responsible for any of this. :wink:
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:51 am
shiyacic aleksandar wrote:
Do you really believe these individuals?

I believe what makes sense. And in general, science (and scientists) makes a LOT of sense (backed up by real evidence).

Are they credible to you?

Most are. Some aren't. But in general, I can't think of any who demonstrate less credibility than you have demonstrated (no offence).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:53 am
Setanta wrote:
This boogy is a mess . . .
I know. I just can't stop picking! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:53 am
neologist wrote:
Also for misspelling the name of the god Speciation who, as we all know, is not responsible for any of this. (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

Actually, i had thought you used Speciathon purposefully, as a sort of appropriate name for such a putative god, and thought it quite good. Now you've disillusioned me . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:01 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
Also for misspelling the name of the god Speciation who, as we all know, is not responsible for any of this. (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

Actually, i had thought you used Speciathon purposefully, as a sort of appropriate name for such a putative god, and thought it quite good. Now you've disillusioned me . . .
Well, yes. But I thought not all members of the board would appreciate. As usual, you are one step ahead of me in picking out my mistakes.
Emoticon included because I am literally falling on the floor. http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/rofl.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:01 am
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

okbye
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:03 am
I do love this board!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 12:21 pm
Quote:
What has the photo-sensitivity of people's eyes when watching Pokemon got to do with evolution?

Can't a guy make an ironic post around this joint? Now pass me the salt...
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 04:34 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
jenniejen wrote:
I dont think we came from monkeys or apes.

Good, because we didn't come from Monkeys or Apes, we simply have a common ancestor with them.

jenniejen wrote:
Why are there still monkeys and apes? Rolling Eyes

Why wouldn't there still be Monkeys and Apes?

Um, who do you think is our ancester? When I went to school they told us about the monkeys. But I never belived it. I told my teacher we came from God and she didnt even argue. Can you show us a picture of your ancester please? Seriously I need to see this. Laughing Laughing Laughing Describe and show a picture Very Happy
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 04:42 pm
Take a look for yourself.

http://id-archserve.ucsb.edu/Anth3/Courseware/Hominids/13_Homo_erectus_drawing.html

http://www.mnh.si.edu/anthro/humanorigins/ha/weid.html

They're extinct now so you won't see one running around your neighborhood.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 04:55 pm
jenniejen wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
jenniejen wrote:
I dont think we came from monkeys or apes.

Good, because we didn't come from Monkeys or Apes, we simply have a common ancestor with them.

jenniejen wrote:
Why are there still monkeys and apes? Rolling Eyes

Why wouldn't there still be Monkeys and Apes?

Um, who do you think is our ancester? When I went to school they told us about the monkeys. But I never belived it. I told my teacher we came from God and she didnt even argue. Can you show us a picture of your ancester please? Seriously I need to see this. Laughing Laughing Laughing Describe and show a picture Very Happy

You're stating this incorrectly. The actual theory is that humans, and today's simians had a common ape-like ancestor.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:20 pm
That's the reason our DNA is 98% similar to chimps.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:22 pm
Actually, it's 99.4% similar. http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3744
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:26 pm
Which is the reason my grandkids are out climbing trees, no doubt.
0 Replies

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:17 am
Humans were always humans whatever the bodies in the past,which were probable not as perfect as nowadays...How will it be in the future? Very Happy
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:04 am
Humans were always humans whatever the bodies in the past,which were probable not as perfect as nowadays...How will it be in the future? Very Happy

Well, we won't change, in the foreseeable future unless some major disaster happens to destroy society.

One of the major definitions of evolution is change through natural selection. And in our case, there is none. We have separated ourselves from natural selection.

We control our surrounding environment. Don't like a forest? Cut it down. Don't like the heat? Turn on the air conditioning. Not enough water? Irrigate. Don't like the cold. Turn on the central heating.

Whatever nature does to change our environment, we will find a way to change our surroundings so we don't have to adapt biologically to any changes. This is the gift and curse of technology.

The problem with Creationists is that they don't see a link between microevolution and macroevolution and do not realise that the definition of species was given by a human.

If small changes can happen, why not big changes? The process of microevolution and macroevolution are exactly the same, except the latter results in new species. Microevolution does happen. We have evidence for it.

Macroevolution has also been documented to happen, albeit in insects and plants and those animals with short gestation times and short life spans.

The only reason the average laymen does not see evidence is that most scientific evidence is posted in scientific journals, which you have to pay for, and the subscription costs are something the average laymen would not want to pay.

Breakthroughs happen in science all the time. It's just that most breakthroughs are so specific to a certain subject, that most laymen wouldn't understand it if it were printed in the newspapers.

Take this recent article on evolution, for example:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15981200&query_hl=1

Can you make head or tail out of that?

It's evidence for evolution, albeit for sea creatures, and chances are if you don't know anything about sea squirts or even genetics, you aren't going to know what the Heck they're talking about.

I don't know what they're talking about, although I do know that the Pax genes are involved in muscle and neurone development. (I used to work on Pax3, a gene involved in the development of muscle).

Evolution is being proved bit by bit through genetics, but because even in a simple organism such as yeast there's thousands of genes to sift through, each of which creates protein products that may interact with other genes or other proteins, most evidence you get is so specific and "small part of the picture" that no one without a background in that scientific discipline will understand what it means.

Notice how Creationists tend to be mostly religious people and almost never biological scientists? They are the ones that cannot understand the scientific evidence because it uses all sorts of strange jargon and gene names. Not understanding the proof is equal to not having proof.

Of course, I can't blame Creationists for having their point of view. If I was in their shoes, I wouldn't say evolution is more correct than Creationism.

It's bewildering, you know. Even I can't keep up with what's going on in evolutionary science. It's difficult to find a study on evolution, because it's all genetics now and the word evolution is being bandied about too often. There's protein evolution, directed evolution of proteins... actually, now that I think about it... the word 'evolution' is used a lot in proteomics...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:41 am
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7539
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:47 am
Good post Wolf
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:52 am
String theory is a physical model whose fundamental building blocks are one-dimensional extended objects (strings) rather than the zero-dimensional points (particles) that were the basis of most earlier physics. For this reason, string theories are able to avoid problems associated with the presence of pointlike particles in a physical theory. Detailed study of string theories has revealed that they describe not just strings but other objects, variously including points, membranes, and higher-dimensional objects.

and...

Alphabet, Letters, Words
See p. 21, p. 226 in Dictionary of the Khazars.
According to the Haggadah, Yaweh used the letters from the alphabet to create the Earth (16). Each letter has its own power to manifest reality. Kabbalists used the Hebrew alphabet in creating the Tarot cards and studied its associations with the sepheroth of the Tree of Life. The inscription of letters and words is extremely important in ritual magic (Regardie 52). See Golem. Samuel Cohen's manuscripts speculated about a heavenly alphapet unknown to mankind, but was seen in dreams by the dream hunters. Practitioners of Enochian magic used an alphabet called angelic script, which is made of beautiful scrolling letters which look like sigils (Regardie 652). The Enochians also made letter grids called angelic tablets, in Hebrew or in angelic script, which were used to inscribe names of spirits and Yaweh (Regardie 635). Cohen had a similar tablet inscribed on the ceiling above where he slept (Pavic 223). Pricess Ateh used letters written on her eyelids to proctect her while she slept (Pavic 21). The letters would kill any person who looked at them, and eventually killed Ateh when she looked at them in the mirrors (Pavic 24).
0 Replies