neologist

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 01:09 pm
Just gimme the boot!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 04:23 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:
"Ye shall be as Gods" This was the lie Lucifer told Eve... people still believe it today... they have done away with the thought of God and sit in the throne as Gods themselves...

Your right, they do. Everyone who claims they know God by their own interpretation of the scriptures is creating their own God and their own religion.

There are over 35,000 different sects of the Christian religion throughout the world, not counting every rinky dink yahoo who claims his/her interpretation of the Bible is the only correct interpretation there is.

Do you fall in that category Rex?
I'm curious; are you a believer of premillennialism or postmillennialism?

I don't believe that any human man or woman can be God (including Jesus Christ) so I am not sure if I fall into either category. I believe every person has a place in their brains designated just for worshiping "God alone"... When one denies God they must fill the void with another thing. This is usually themselves, another person or a thing that they covet greatly. This shows the imbalance of the soul and how obsessions are created...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 04:35 pm
I have a question for you scientists...

Is there an estimation on how many life forms have become extinct by the recent tsunami and another estimate on how the earth will cope with the loss? Will the earth ever be able to replace these species?

At what rate are these massive natural disasters watering down the species pool of the earth?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:10 pm
I don't know of any species that became extinct.

Quote:
At what rate are these massive natural disasters watering down the species pool of the earth?

Sometimes extinction occurs on a massive scale. It's estimated that about 90% or more of the earth species became extinct during the Permian extinction event; about 248 million years ago.

Evolution allows survivors, plants and animals, to change and fill in voids of different environmental niches.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:20 pm
thunder runner Evo/devo rap? cool.

rex red, we dont know if anything went extinct till we dont see any more. Many small islands like the Nicobars or the western Sumatran islands are areas that Wallace had visited years ago. Perhaps some small enclave of organisms , especially adapted to one or more of those islands had been wiped out but, Im sure someonewill be trying to begin some surveys of the islands wildlife as soon as the human misery is addressed.
Japanese whaling , as proposed, could wipe out the remaining right whales without any natural disaster. Seems that right whales number less than 500 and all seem to be closely related by mDNA work done recently. The population is barely hanging on , so the Japanese want to do the rest ofem in by "research hunting".

They want to save the species by hunting it. I guess , to Japanese whalers , "saving" is accomplished by taxidermy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 01:45 am
farmerman wrote:
They want to save the species by hunting it. I guess , to Japanese whalers , "saving" is accomplished by taxidermy

That reminds me of Theodore Roosevelt, who was an accomplished "naturalist" in his college days (1870's) and even published a small book on the birds of Maine. Of course, he accomplished his studies by shooting and mounting the birds.
0 Replies

shiyacic aleksandar

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 05:01 am
RexRed wrote:
I have a question for you scientists...

Is there an estimation on how many life forms have become extinct by the recent tsunami and another estimate on how the earth will cope with the loss? Will the earth ever be able to replace these species?

Is there anything that God cannot accomplish through man or Alone?
Dont cry for species which desappear but do your best to practice non-violence yourselves.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:35 am
set, besides his Naval War of 1812, Biog of sen Thomas Hart Benton and "Hunting the Grizzly Bear", I havent been able to find any of his early ornith type papers. Ive always recalled the Desmond Morris lines about Roosevelt being so engrossed in his natural science that you had to stand downwind of him because he smelled so bad.

Thanks shiyacic for your insight into the processes of extinction. I wonder what Gods purpose was in the mass extinctions of the geologic past.
SCientists just wish to see what was on gods mind at anytime. To me, he seems to be quite a schizophrenic dude with OCD and some real deity sized neuroses. Am I close?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:39 am
I'll see if i can get a reference for ya FM. He saw a dead seal on the street in New York when he was a boy, and it fascinated him. He began his "taxonomy" studies when about ten years of age or so. Be right back.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:45 am
You may have trouble finding this, FM. It wasn't Maine it was the Adirondacks. He and Harry Minot collaborated on a catalogue which they paid to have published: The Summer Birds of the Adirondacks in Franklin County, New York. Roosevelt explained in the introductory note: "The following catalogue (written in the mountains) is based upon observations made in August, 1874, August, 1875, and June 22d to July 9th, 1877, especially about the Saint Regis Lakes, Mr. Minot having been with me, only during the last week of June."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:49 am
If you like his Thomas Hart Benton, you might look for his The Winning of the West, a multi-volume history written over many years.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:08 am
I like his exuberance in most of what Ive read. His account of a fight between Benton and Andy jackson was a "ripping" recount of an event that even Roosevelt was challenged in his narrative about how a "dust up" can spiral downward very quickly so that noone can give an accurate account of the events. I like stuff like that.
Barnes and Noble had reprinted some of his "incidental papers" a while back but, honestly, My interests in history were rather focused till I came to "Fuzz and A2k" and was able to read the incredible scholarly posts that you and Walter and a few others have provided .
I now, have to parse out my interrelated interests so I leave a few hours a day to read what Ive missed in all these years that Ive been beating on rocks.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:12 pm
This is what evolution has brought us to...

http://www.wavy.com/global/story.asp?s=3482974&ClientType=Printable
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 12:20 pm
RexRed wrote:

Of course, the connection is immediately obvious. Confused
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 06:02 pm
Earthquakes, Tornadoes, Volcanoes all over the place, dogs and cats living together...
you know the routine.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:11 pm
farmerman wrote:
Earthquakes, Tornadoes, Volcanoes all over the place, dogs and cats living together...
you know the routine.
And without the benefit of petrimony! GASP!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:13 pm
Dogs and cats, of course, rely on your money . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:55 pm
Quote:
And without the benefit of petrimony! GASP!

My dogs and cats have a very comfortable living thanks to rocks.
0 Replies