Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 12:03 am
For anyone that's interested that is a Gerbera, not a daisy. Not sure how this constitutes 'one of my photos', I assumed it would be a photo OF the suject, not one BY them.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:57 am
OK, so I uploaded an image in .jpg which is 85W x 100H and less than 6kb to my msn photos, and I don't seem able to link to it in my profile. I get error messages and no avatar of me - the real me, too!

In fact, I don't seem able to post it here, either, which I see some people have done.

What's up? I'm confused. KP
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 08:05 am
kitchenpete- You cannot upload an avatar directly from your hard drive. You need to upload it to a site like www.ravensrealm.com and then upload it to A2K from that site.

Here is a tutorial that will explain everything in great detail:

Link to Avatar Tutorial
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 08:13 am
Does your msn photos have restricted access? If not, it should work. But if it is restricted (not public), that would explain it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:52 pm
Idea ravensrealm.com is not a site where you can upload images as far as I know. The MSN site is: http://groups.msn.com/TheRavensRealm

Idea MSN photos do not work as avatars unless you link to the thumbnail.

I suspect the difficulty in posting an MSN photo in the body of a post is related to the long filenames that MSN photos are given by MSN photo albums.

So let's run this through one more time.

You can upload an image to a raven's realm album (you will have to have an MSN passport or a hotmail account).

Then use the thumbnail of the image for an avatar. The full size image can be used in posts.

example:

This is the address to a thumbnail:

Arrow http://sc.communities.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/47/ff6.jpg

Here is the thumbnail:
http://sc.communities.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/47/ff6.jpg

And this is the page that is displaying the thumbnail:

Arrow http://groups.msn.com/TheRavensRealm/justplayingaroundwithavatars.msnw

This huge thing is the address for the full size image (I'm breaking it up so that it won't stretch the page, thus the link won't work):

Arrow http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XgDqAoAcMVKJ8APkBqL2MYzJ
Cscv9AEFEq2Y6Ab6I38d6nPrDBC00w5HKJ0CxVnBrbuxO2ptTuLR2heIp1
uwHkSRH1CCBq8zRWOwnezVYDgB9OC*1Y3q6CJIuWuf4M7Z2uUI6ni72
fU/woman-in-front-of-TV.gif?dc=4675394417440786024

Idea Note: MSN gives huge URLS to uploaded images.

Here is the full size image:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XgDqAoAcMVKJ8APkBqL2MYzJCscv9AEFEq2Y6Ab6I38d6nPrDBC00w5HKJ0CxVnBrbuxO2ptTuLR2heIp1uwHkSRH1CCBq8zRWOwnezVYDgB9OC*1Y3q6CJIuWuf4M7Z2uUI6ni72fU/woman-in-front-of-TV.gif?dc=4675394417440786024

And here is the page displaying the image:

Arrow http://groups.msn.com/TheRavensRealm/justplayingaroundwithavatars.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4086

Please not that the address of the images is not the address of the page where the image is displayed. It is the URL to the image file. To get this URL right click on the image and view the properties. The URL will be displayed there.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:53 am
Craven, you're a star!
Well, all that's sorted now thanks to the Ravens Realm MSN page.

I've posted a few pictures there under an album in my name, so if you want to see me having a little fun, that's the place to look!

Many thanks, KP
0 Replies

Miss Wendy

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 03:55 am
pls Help on how to create an avatar that can move...!!!!
can u pls help me on how to make an avatar moves???i really need that one as my personal icon on my boards!!!!! :wink:

thank u....
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 05:17 am
Miss Wendy..
I am almost a newbie about this topic, but I may be able to offer an advise.

Choose a URL address to the moving gif image, for example;

and paste this in the IMG_URL, then it shows as follows.
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XgDqAoAcMVKJ8APkBqL2MYzJCscv9AEFEq2Y6Ab6I38d6nPrDBC00w5HKJ0CxVnBrbuxO2ptTuLR2heIp1uwHkSRH1CCBq8zRWOwnezVYDgB9OC*1Y3q6CJIuWuf4M7Z2uUI6ni72fU/woman-in-front-of-TV.gif?dc=4675394417440786024
0 Replies

Miss Wendy

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 07:05 am
sorry...
can u pls tell me more??i mean...i dont really get what u r actually trying to say....hmm....

oo..im so stupid!!!!! Mad
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 07:09 am
Miss Wendy,

There are some pretty strict size limits on avatars. Most animations will be too large (can't be bigger than 6k). Check the avatar gallery (you can get there by going to the bottom of your profile page) and looking under the animated category.

And, welcome to Able2Know!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 07:22 am
Miss Wendy..
An animated avatar is not very different from the usual avatar except that it is linked to an animated image. For a guide for the avatar you can follow the instruction in first page of this thread.
0 Replies

wayfarer

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 08:03 pm
What I need is two hours of time to go back to your tutorial- thanks, Mr.C!
This is like the good old days when Andrew T was teaching us how to use a search engine. It makes being computer illiterate fun when one sees the worlds of stuff to be learned.
I was on the world domination thread and yours came up suddenly. Do you suppose we'll all be here next week?
See you at a Sunday candlelight vigil someplace in the world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 08:35 pm
Hi wayfarer, How's things? Geeesh, you've barely posted once a month since your membership. Would love to see more activity from your part of the world. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 12:30 pm
I'm envious of those who have posted photos within their messages and would like to know how that's done???
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 03:10 pm
Tutorial - How to post an image in your posts
0 Replies

wayfarer

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 01:27 pm
Hi Tak- nice to see you- My hotmail account freezes my computer each time I go on it, so I don't tend to get much done with it. I'm also on my way to South-West France in a few days to learn more French, so that's keeping me busy. I will can take Craven's tutorial when I get back and become more knowledgeable.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 05:26 pm
wayfarer, Just got back from London where I spent one week to revisit some of my favorite museums, and the A2K London Gathering on March 20. Let us know when you get back and have more time to chat. c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 06:14 am
I have a question perhaps someone can answer. Yesterday I posted an avatar taken from the web. It appeared and "worked ".
This AM when I went to a2k it was gone no avatar appeared. Anyone have an answer?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 06:20 am
You probably clicked on the avatar gallery.

This deletes the old avatar you uploaded. There's a reason for that; it keeps people from uploading dozens of avatars.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 08:44 am
au, what procedure did you use to post the avatar
in question? Some websites do not support hotlinking;
if you used the image's URL, instead of saving, then
uploading the image, that may have been the problem.
it would have appeared fine for you during that session,
as it was cached in your browser, but not really
uploaded to this website's avatar galery.
What you ought to do is save the image to
your machine, then upload it from your machine
to the gallery here (you can do that now, for
a while, you couldn't). I dunno for sure if that
was the deal or not, but it sounds like it to me.
Lemme know if that doesn't work for you, and
I'll try to help you sort it out.
0 Replies