Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2002 02:05 pm
What is an avatar? How do I use it?
<< That's an avatar.

Ignore all you've learned about Hindu mythology! An avatar is a graphic that you use to represent yourself. You can chose an avatar by editing your profile (it's on a link at the top of every forum page).
How to select an avatar.

1. At the top of the forum pages there is a link to "Profile". Click it to edit your profile (where you will add an avatar).
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the profile edit page and click "show gallery"
  3. Choose an avatar
  4. Now, at the bottom of the edit profile page you press submit.

Make sure you do that last step as many times people neglect that final one.

And you have yourself an avatar.

BELOW ARE ADVANCED OPTIONS (that anyone can do if they have the patience to learn).
-----

Using a Custom Avatar

Ok, now you know about avatars but you want your very OWN avatar? No problem. You can use an image of your choosing as your avatar.

To do this you need to chose or make an image you want to use as an avatar. Once you have chosen the image and have it on your hard drive do the following.

1. At the top of the forum pages there is a link to "Profile". Click it to edit your profile (where you will add an avatar).
  2. At the bottom of the page you will find an option to "Upload Avatar from your machine" and you can type the file name in or click "browse" to locate and select the image from your computer.
  3. Alternately you can have the forum fetch the file from a remote URL.
  4. Now, at the bottom of the edit profile page you press submit.

Note: The width can be no greater than 90 pixels, a height no greater than 100 pixels and a file size no more than 6kB. This is to ensure that the pages load and display swiftly and correctly for other users.

How to make your own avatar A Paint tutorial.

If you want to create your own avatar this is how you do it (using Paint, a very common and simple program).

1) Open the image you want to turn into an avatar in Paint (this program can usually be found in windows in the accessories folder).

2) You can cut up the picture by dragging the box over it this will select the area you want for your avatar. Then right click on the area you cut out and select "copy to" and choose a file name. This will save the selected portion of the picture to a new file.

Resizing / Shrinking an image.

Alternatively you might want to use the whole picture and simply shrink it down. This is done by:

Clicking Image in the menu, then stretch/skew (the shortcut to this option should be Ctrl W). There you can reduce the image using a percent value. Make sure to shrink both hight and width by the same amount or you will have a distorted image. If you want to check the hight and width of the avatar to make sure it's under 80 by 80 go to Image > Attributes (shortcut Ctrl E) and you can view the pixel width and hieght there.

When you are done you should save your image by selecting "save as" and make sure to choose the file format of gif or jpeg.

Then you are almost done.

You might need to shrink the filesize of the image. This is different from thesize of the image, a small but high quality image can have a large file size. There is a limit for file size because avatars slow down dialup users if they are too big.

To compress your images without having any software for image manipulation you can use these sites:

Here are compressors for gifs and jpegs:

http://www.savei.net/gifcruncher.html << for gifs (allows uploads)

http://www.chami.com/jc/ << for jpegs (note that you'll have to put the image online first to use this, the gif cruncher can work with an image from your hard drive).

Alternatively you can just say pretty please and someone (I'll do it if I have the time) will probably be able to do it for you.

Note that viewing the gallery will delete any uploaded avatars. This is not a bug but works this way to avoid members uploading many unused avatars. So once you upload an avatar don't mess with avatars unless you want to replace it.
------

If you need any help whatsoever in selecting an avatar please post here.

------

Edit- Intructions on uploaded avatars restored as that feature has been reinstated.

Go to your profile and click on Browse, which is to the right of "Upload Avatar from your machine". This opens up a window to explore your computer. Just locate the picture that you want and click "Open". That window will disappear and you are left with your profile page. You'll notice there is now information in the white rectangle next to "Upload Avatar from your machine". Click "Submit" and you're done.

If it doesn't work, go back to your profile and delete your old avatar before following the above instructions.

- signed, jespah
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 62,957 • Replies: 187
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2002 06:26 am

I can't wait to find out how to post my own

that I can't stand Evil or Very Mad the one that I have now, and I have a good idea of what I

want.

By the way Craven, you sure are working like a horse. I see improvements and changes every day!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2002 11:09 am
Phoenix,
Creating your own avatar is easy. I just made the Poe one this morning (took me about 2

minutes).

I can't allow uploading of avatars right now for a simple reason: Any avatars that you upload won't be

moved to the new host since the files for this site are on my computer and I won't be taking the files from this host to my

computer and sending them to the new host.
But you can already use a "hotlinked" avatar.

1) Make your avatar (if

you need help reducing the file size etc I can post online links for this).

2) Upload it to another site that allows

hotlinking (MSN groups do, geocities don't).

3) Add it to your profile.

Lemme know if you need any help with

those steps. In a few days we'll be moving so you can always wait till then. I'll have avatar uploads setup as soon as the

move is made.

OR

You can email me the picture you want and I'll do it all for you. Eventually someone on this

forum might help with making avatars for others but since it only takes me a few minutes I can do yours for you.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 12:07 am
Craven:

How do I decrease the size of an upload to less than 6? I tried to upload my own avatar but they are too large.

Thanks for your help.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 12:14 am
What kind of file is it?

Here are compressors for gifs and jpegs:

http://www.savei.net/gifcruncher.html << gif

http://www.chami.com/jc/ << jpeg
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 12:29 am
Thanks Craven, I tried these sites, but they give an error page. I will keep trying. Meantime.........sleep well:)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 12:39 am
You can always email me the image and I'll do it for you. Lemme know if ya want that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:09 am
watching with interest
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 03:30 pm
Craven: Thanks, but Rae told me I could post the picture to Raven's Realm, then use the thumbnail to right click and copy in order to decrease the size.

I'll try that.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 03:34 pm
Never, ever incriminate me until you know I'm right or not! Jeez, Ma!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 03:08 pm
Craven:

Why am I getting a blank avatar? Help?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 03:18 pm
Your avatar isn't to be found in the upload area. I don't know why (maybe you deleted it by accident?)

Try uploading it again.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 03:23 pm
Ok, I uploaded it again, so this is a test.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 03:26 pm
Actually what you did was select from the gallery, is that what you wanted?
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 03:29 pm
Yes Craven, until I find what I do want.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 06:45 pm
...testing to see if I uploaded my avatar properly...
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 06:49 pm
craven

twice I selected avatars from the gallery and twice when I posted they didn't appear. Then when I returned to my profile they were gone. (both times)
? can you figure what I'm doing wrong?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 06:50 pm
I think after selecting the avatar you didn't submit your profile.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 06:54 pm
Craven- When will I be able to upload my own avatar? I have a little larger version of the Phoenix that I uploaded on Raven's Realm, that I might like to use, but I am still not really sure about it. It IS a little severe, and my Minnie Mouse is sooo cute. Problem is, I don't perceive myself as cute! Cool
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 06:57 pm
Phoenix,

Avatar uploads are enabled. I played dirty and upped the avatar size limit to get my avatar in. Now it's 85 (wide) and 100 (high).

I can't really up it more than that due to site layout issues (I only increased the width by 5 pixels) so if you can get it to fit those dimensions as well as stay under 6kb you can already upload it.

If you need help shrinking the size (both visual and file size) let me know.

I have disabled remote avatars because they don't display correctly and because they don't resize. But you can upload them already.
0 Replies