Was your vote in the 2016 elections meddled with?

hingehead

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 04:31 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I am exactly as smart as I think I am, thank you.

Hi McG. You're welcome. Sorry if that came across as tetchy. It was a less then well thought out response on my behalf.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 04:40 pm
@Ragman,
This is being taken very seriously over here.

Quote:
The volume of disinformation on the internet is growing so big that it is starting to crowd out real news, the Commons Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee chairman has said.

Tory MP Damian Collins said people struggle to identify "fake news".

MPs in their committee report said the issue threatens democracy and called for tougher social network regulation.

The government said it plans to introduce a requirement for electoral adverts to have a "digital imprint".

This would mean that all political communications carried online would need to clearly identify who they were published by.

Labour said the government "needs to wake up to the new challenges we face and finally update electoral laws".

The report follows the Cambridge Analytica data scandal earlier this year.

The London-based data analytics firms and tech giant Facebook were at the centre of a dispute over the harvesting and use of personal data - and whether it was used to influence the outcome of the US 2016 presidential election or the UK Brexit referendum.

Both firms deny any wrongdoing.

Arron Banks, the businessman who was the chief backer of the unofficial Leave.EU campaign, donating millions of pounds, was criticised for misleading the committee about his business dealings with Russia and for failing to demonstrate the source of the money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44995490
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2018 03:08 pm
@hingehead,
Not voting can say much more than your simple idea.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2018 03:12 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
That is illegal. ... . IMO, if a foreign power does it, it is an attack on our country.

Just as a matter of interest, why isn't anyone the least bit concerned about the USA being the world's leader in this and much worse/more serious?
0 Replies