11

Was your vote in the 2016 elections meddled with?

McGentrix

1  
Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 04:23 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Your not so smart are you mcg?

I am exactly as smart as I think I am, thank you.
hingehead

3  
Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 04:31 pm
@McGentrix,

Hi McG. You're welcome. Sorry if that came across as tetchy. It was a less then well thought out response on my behalf.

1  
Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2018 04:40 pm
@Ragman,
This is being taken very seriously over here.

The volume of disinformation on the internet is growing so big that it is starting to crowd out real news, the Commons Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee chairman has said.

Tory MP Damian Collins said people struggle to identify "fake news".

MPs in their committee report said the issue threatens democracy and called for tougher social network regulation.

The government said it plans to introduce a requirement for electoral adverts to have a "digital imprint".

This would mean that all political communications carried online would need to clearly identify who they were published by.

Labour said the government "needs to wake up to the new challenges we face and finally update electoral laws".

The report follows the Cambridge Analytica data scandal earlier this year.

The London-based data analytics firms and tech giant Facebook were at the centre of a dispute over the harvesting and use of personal data - and whether it was used to influence the outcome of the US 2016 presidential election or the UK Brexit referendum.

Both firms deny any wrongdoing.

Arron Banks, the businessman who was the chief backer of the unofficial Leave.EU campaign, donating millions of pounds, was criticised for misleading the committee about his business dealings with Russia and for failing to demonstrate the source of the money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44995490