Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 02:05 pm
Quote:
(...) in the central Chubu region, these insects — sometimes called “murder hornets” — are known for more than their aggression and excruciating sting. They are seen as a pleasant snack and an invigorating ingredient in drinks.

The giant hornet, along with other varieties of wasps, has traditionally been considered a delicacy in this rugged part of the country. The grubs are often preserved in jars, pan-fried or steamed with rice to make a savory dish called hebo-gohan. The adults, which can be two inches long, are fried on skewers, stinger and all, until the carapace becomes light and crunchy. They leave a warming, tingling sensation when eaten.

The hornets can also give liquor an extra kick. Live specimens are drowned in shochu, a clear distilled beverage. In their death throes, the insects release their venom into the liquid, and it is stored until it turns a dark shade of amber.

source
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 02:09 pm
@hightor,
That not the way I mixed Stingers in the good old days!

But eating them sounds like a good way to make lemonade out the situation. Grubs are good and most I've eaten taste and have the mouth feel of shrimp once cooked, plus they're easier to eat because they have no face.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 10:13 am
Speaking of Biden's VP pick, I wish he wasn't so impetuous to box himself in a corner. I would like to have Governor Cuomo as Vice President and then for the second term as President.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 12:33 pm
@revelette3,
Fortunately he has a good bank of woman/minority candidates to chose from.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 05:19 pm
Biden and Abrama is on MSNBC on Last Word tonight. I hope I am up, might record it.
0 Replies

FreedomEyeLove

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 03:42 am
@hightor,
Hi Hightor! Very Happy Everyone knows you're a mod.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 04:11 am
@FreedomEyeLove,
FreedomEyeLove wrote:
Hi Hightor! Very Happy Everyone knows you're a mod.
Interesting. I feel bad, however, that I'm not everyone. (Could it be, because I'm only 17½ years. here.)

But why do you say "Hi" here and to an older post of hightor (written with lower case, btw)?
hightor

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 04:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F6e%2Fcd%2F0d%2F6ecd0dc4ab51ff7611066b349a8b9c90--music-posters-band-posters.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 11:12 am
@hightor,
Loud fast rules!
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)