layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 03:50 pm
I feel that it is my solemn duty to tell the unvarnished TRUTH.

WE'RE ALL GUNNA DIE, I TELLS YA!!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 03:51 pm
@maporsche,
The lessons are multi-pronged.

One is that everyone in power is scrambling to make costs for testing people free--because THEY don't want POOR people infecting THEM. The poor can die of cancer because they can't pay those costs, but definitely not this communicable virus.

Put yourself in that position. Your mom died of cancer because she couldn't afford check ups or chemo or whatever it takes to live through cancer.

Your brother couldn't afford mental health counseling, meds, ... he killed himself. I can come up with 100 scenarios, but most people who are poor don't have one such anecdote in their back pocket, they have 20. It makes you a little hard.

This country is a wasteland of people who've lost loved ones because of the cost of getting decent healthcare. They live in an alternate reality to your world even if they walk beside you on a sidewalk. You two are existing on different planes.

I'm telling you--people will be pulling people out of their nice cars and sending them to hell if this isn't handled.

Have you ever wondered what upholds that that thin line that keeps a hungry, desperate man and 350 of his best friends from swarming gated communities, golf courses, upscale restaurants and taking their frustration out on those genteel patrons? I have a few times. I'm not sure exactly what it is--but I can tell you that line is getting thinner by the day.

layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 03:56 pm
@Lash,
Preach it, Burnie Sista!
Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 03:57 pm
@maporsche,

A country with M4A has more hospital beds and equipment because many many more people are using them because people can afford healthcare.

We die at home with no care.

https://www.kff.org/health-costs/press-release/the-u-s-has-fewer-physicians-and-hospital-beds-per-capita-than-italy-and-other-countries-overwhelmed-by-covid-19/

excerpt:

Compared to Italy and Spain, two countries in which hospitals have already been overwhelmed by an influx of COVID-19 patients, the U.S. has fewer practicing physicians per capita – 2.6 per 1,000 people, compared to 4.0 in Italy and 3.9 in Spain – but more licensed nurses. While the U.S. has a higher number of total hospital employees than most comparable countries, nearly half of that workforce is comprised of non-clinical staff who are not directly involved in delivering care.

The U.S. also lags behind comparable countries in hospital beds per capita, with 2.8 hospital beds for every 1,000 people, a capacity similar to that of Canada and the United Kingdom, but less than other similarly wealthy countries. Italy, the country with the highest number of COVID-19-related deaths to date, has 3.2 hospital beds per 1,000 people – only slightly more than the U.S. South Korea, which has reportedly slowed the rate of new infection, has 12 beds per 1,000 people. Some data suggest, however, that the U.S. may have more ICU beds per person than many comparable countries.

The analysis also includes charts on coverage and affordability barriers that may limit access to care, as well as the health of at-risk groups. Compared to other large, wealthy countries, the U.S. has a higher disease burden, attributable to cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory disease, and diabetes, all conditions associated with more serious outcomes for COVID-19 patients.

Thoughts?
layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 03:59 pm
@layman,
From the Beetoz:

Well, ya say ya want a revolution....

We-ell, ya know

If ya tromp around carryin pictures of Chairman Mao

Ya aint gunna make with noboby nohow........

Like brown shoes, Commies don't make it.
layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:05 pm
@layman,
I saw John Lennon walking down the street in NYC a while back. I asked that rich ************ for a quarter and he just said: "Get a job, Bum."

I went lookin for my .45, but, next thing I knew, some other perv beat me to it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:06 pm
@layman,

If the US had M4A, everyone would immediately be tested with no fear of cost. People who tested positive would have immediately quarantined--reducing growth of the virus exponentially.

Of course, Germany is the best case scenario likely because they couple universal healthcare with personal discipline.

China kept their death rate down with authoritarian gulag-ism, but it worked.

Italy has an aging population (and I'll apologize if I'm wrong--to Italy) but a bit of a laissez faire attitude about marching around to 'emergencies'. (Like the opposite of Germans, maybe?)

So, we'd have had the benefit of testing and then we'd have been subject to marching orders from the gov and the willingness of the marchers.

Still, testing would have been on our side.

layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:10 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
If the US had M4A, everyone would immediately be tested with no fear of cost.

How do make a device that will "test" for something you don't even know exists, I wonder?

So every person in the country would rush to crowded emerency rooms and sit there for hours or days until someone could give them a test, that the idea?

No need for a test at that point. If you didn't have it before you reported, you do now.
Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:19 pm
@layman,
Layman's question brings me to
#fucking4

It was either incompetence or somebody wanting to throw the profits (hey! It's a big money-making business!!!) to the pharmaceutical company.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/16/cdc-who-coronavirus-tests/

You tell me, I'm not paying Bezos.

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:21 pm
@layman,
China and the WHO shared information as they have a tendency to do when there's a pandemic. Germany hopped on it as they have a tendency to do. We fucked off.

oralloy

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:24 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
If the US had M4A, everyone would immediately be tested with no fear of cost.

The reason why people aren't being tested in the US isn't their ability to pay for tests. It's the fact that there are hardly any test kits in the US.
layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:26 pm
@Lash,
Hmmmm. Says there:

Quote:
The coronavirus pandemic was too big and moving too fast for the CDC to develop its own tests in time, he said.

That fuckin Trump. If he had even a shred of decency he would have gone to med school long ago. He could have, before this ever happened, developed a test for something no one had ever heard of, or seen. If he had any talent at all he would haven't envisioned it, and known it would be coming some day, eh?
layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:31 pm
@layman,
Quote:
it wasn’t until last week that large companies such as Roche and Thermo Fisher won approval from the Food and Drug Administration to produce their own tests.

That's the great thing about bureaucratic government agencies, eh? You can't try to help someone without permission. We need more government regulation, I always say!

But, noooooooo. That bastard Trump is always trying to eliminate non-sensical regulations.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:36 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
China and the WHO shared information as they have a tendency to do when there's a pandemic

Ya think? Aincha heard? The WTO is basically owned by China and helped them assure the world that this disease could not be spread from human to human.
layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:43 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
That fuckin Trump. If he had even a shred of decency he would have gone to med school long ago. He could have, before this ever happened, developed a test for something no one had ever heard of, or seen. If he had any talent at all he would haven't envisioned it, and known it would be coming some day, eh?

Maybe he somehow knew that if he did all that, and then sold the test kits to the government at a price below production cost, he would be impeached for "profiteering from his office."

How DARE he try to recover some of his costs! As any good commie will tell you, he should pay the entire costs so that it can be FREE for all deadbeats.
Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:46 pm
@layman,
Maybe he could have just
1. Not fired the national office specifically for this pandemics and
2. Not imagined that this pandemic was just another hoax, like global warming.

That would have been great.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:48 pm
@oralloy,
A double shitstew.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:49 pm
@layman,
Why didn't we use the one developed by the World Health Organization?? Germany did and look at their numbers.
Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:50 pm
@layman,
W.....H.......O
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:53 pm
Years back, I tried a little experiment in my hood. I shouted from my porch: "Who wants to go with me for a steak dinner. I'm paying!"

Within 20 minutes several hundred people had filled up my lawn. I got into my 1949 Packard pick-up and said. "OK, just wait here. I'll have to get all my money out of the bank. I'll be back!"

Instead I headed to Florida for a spell. I later heard that the mob will still waiting until about 2;00 A.M.

A few weeks later, I shouted from my porch: "I'm starving! Who wants to buy my dinner?" Crickets.

It aint really a question of a steak dinner being free. The only question is who's gunna pay for it? If it aint me, count me in!
0 Replies