blatham

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:45 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I’m hoping we get to check on the wisdom of that approach. Last I heard, Sweden is taking the approach of isolating elderly and other vulnerable people but otherwise, business as usual. Trump may just have run out of nerve in the face of the media ridicule.

Sweden is a different case in many respects (and Walter filled in the part of that but let's also note they have universal health care). But it isn't as if it is only the elderly who are dying now. And we are not lacking in research on pandemics and how to mitigate them, none of which points to that debated proposal. The push for such a proposal is coming from the extreme libertarian crowd and from those who have a huge financial interest in maintaining existing structures of wealth and power. Moral considerations are missing in both camps.

Trump's phrasing in that quote is an indicator of that absent moral sense
Quote:
maybe we should not do anything, just ride it. Ride it like a cowboy. Ride that sucker right through

Your child or grandchild is dying from terminal cancer but the family is going to ride it like a cowboy, just ride the sucker right through. Giddyup!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:59 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
... and Walter filled in the part of that but let's also note they have universal health care ...
I always forget that there's a country where universal health care is considered to be an anti-gun law or something like that.
blatham

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 07:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I always forget that there's a country where universal health care is considered to be an anti-gun law or something like that.
Yes. And where the only proper function of a citizen government is to prevent a citizen government.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:00 am
I haven't given it much thought, but I'm sure others have. It's inevitable that the Dems will dump Biden as a candidate and bring in someone else. Cuomo has been mentioned.

How will this be accomplished? I mean, let's just say that, as soon as Burnie is mathematically eliminated, Biden announce that he must withdraw for "health" reasons. What then?

Hillary is still hoping, no doubt.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:07 am
@layman,
Wiki addresses this question, but it's a little short on details:

Quote:
For the Democratic Party, unpledged delegate votes, also called "Superdelegate votes" used to be counted on the first ballot. Although some used the term "brokered convention" to refer to a convention where the outcome is decided by Superdelegate votes rather than pledged delegates alone, this is not the original sense of the term, nor has it been a commonly used definition of a "contested convention."[6] As of 2018, Democratic superdelegates will only participate if no winner emerges after the first round of balloting.

Democratic Party

Under the Democratic National Convention rules, "A majority vote of the Convention's delegates shall be required to nominate the presidential candidate" and "Balloting will continue until a nominee is selected."[7] Superdelegates are party leaders who participate as delegates if no winner emerges after the first round. Prior to 2018, they were allowed to participate in the first round as well.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokered_convention
hightor

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:12 am
@layman,
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmcshowblog.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F08%2Fdumpsterfire.jpg%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D404&f=1&nofb=1
layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:19 am
@hightor,
Very astute. Trump and his henchmen will get nice and toasty watching the Dem convention turn into a dumpster fire. A real "warm" feelin, ya know?
hightor

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:23 am
@layman,
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsevenstories-prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fimages%2F000001%2F914%2Famericandumpsterfire1-d3fb2dd9b49e55c2a5fd9f3fe2decafc.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:28 am
@layman,
And the nominee, back by popular demand, is:

https://www.history.com/.image/c_fill%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Ch_400%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_620/MTU3ODc5MDg3MjQxNTA0NDc5/hillary_clinton.jpg

Hillary "Butch" Clinton!!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:30 am
@layman,
It's also interesting to note that there will likely be no Democrat (or Republican) Convention - at least in the traditional form - this year. Short of a Biden withdrawal it's hard for me to see how the change might be accomplished.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:30 am
@hightor,
You've already made your hatred of the U.S quite clear, Hi.

No need to repeat it incessantly.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:32 am
@georgeob1,
Well, George, Biden will withdraw, I figure.

Not because he wants to, of course. He may even insist on a huge cash payment, but, he will be "persuaded" to.
hightor

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:36 am
@layman,
Quote:
No need to repeat it incessantly.

That's rich coming from the clown who just posted yet another picture of Hillary Clinton!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redditmedia.com%2FIr5Sb3tTjrxse0XTwfxJTg2qT8octRe8ZnDFkggY798.jpg%3Fw%3D768%26s%3D200551fbfdcbb9b683e1a2cf36e0fb31&f=1&nofb=1

Well, there is no reason to try to "debate" people whose only idea of debate is to attempt to insult, ridicule, and demean anyone who disagrees with their often absurd contentions. Am I right?
layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:38 am
@hightor,
Yeah, you're exactly right.

There's also no reason to try to debate when ya just aint got no kinda game, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:49 am
Quote:
Especially because of the desire to foster party unity in the months leading up to Election Day, it is considered possible if not probable that any "brokering" that may be required for a future presidential convention will take place in the weeks and months leading up to the convention, once it becomes clear that no candidate will likely secure a majority of delegates without an agreement with one or more rivals

You can bet there's a lot of "brokering" going on behind closed doors with the Dems, eh? It's been said that the Clinton Foundation has offered to transfer all it's remaining assets to another "charity" contolled by George Soros.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:54 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Well, George, Biden will withdraw, I figure.

Not because he wants to, of course. He may even insist on a huge cash payment, but, he will be "persuaded" to.

I mean, like, if he's too senile to cooperate, they can always infect his sorry ass with massive quantities of the Kung Flu virus, know what I'm sayin?

They just need to get a few asymptomatic women to come around and say they want Joe to feel them up while Joe-boy clumsily kisses them, ya know?
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 10:36 am
@layman,
stupid sociopathy, what conservatives do best.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 10:39 am
@layman,
the right hates anybody that believes in democracy.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:16 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
the right hates anybody that believes in democracy.

And progressives hate anyone they are told to hate. No reason necessary. Keeping the hate alive keeps progressives alive.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:26 am
Just think about poor quid pro quo Joe, eh? The road ahead for him aint gunna be nuthin nice.

1. He's gunna have to face the music for his sexual assault on poor Tara Reade.

2. He's gunna hafta humiliate himself repeatedly by talking incoherently and drooling on camera and , heaven help him, in debates against Trump.

3. The Burnie Bros will burn down his house.

4.. He will be indicted by Trump's henchmen for all his crimes. His whole damn family, too.

5. He will be subjected to untold further humiliations, when disclosed by Trump's campaign. Trump has a fisa warrant and the FBI is going through all his past email correspondence right now.

6. His penultimate humiliation, before going to jail, will be losing every state in the Union except for CA and NY. He won't make a concession speech, but he will say Trump used Russia to steal the election.

I pity the fool!