Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 08:31 pm
@Lash,

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she will get behind Joe Biden, a moderate, if he becomes the nominee.

AOC urges people to unite behind whoever becomes democratic nominee,
says defeating Trump 'More Important Than All of Us'

https://able2know.org/topic/546265-1
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 09:22 pm
@Real Music,
And?
Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 10:46 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
And?

1. I am simply pointing out that Bernie Sanders has stated that he will get behind whoever wins the nomination, even if that person happens to be Biden.

2. I am simply pointing out that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez also stated that she will get behind whoever wins the nomination, even if that person happens to be Biden.

3. Obviously you don't have to follow Bernie Sanders lead.

4. Obviously you don't have to follow Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's lead.

5. At least you now know what both of their positions are, regarding getting behind whoever wins the nomination.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 10:49 pm
@Lash,

Bernie Sanders First to Sign Pledge to Rally Behind Democratic Nominee.

https://able2know.org/topic/509256-1
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 05:02 am
I own my vote. I use it as I please. I think because of your vote harassment, I’ll vote Green again. Thanks!
hightor

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 05:04 am
Quote:
(...)

Yet the left, in its critiques, sometimes acts as if Republicans don’t exist and have no say in political outcomes. Leftists tend to interpret the policy failures of the Obama era as a function of his own lack of will, or his reliance on corporate interests, rather than what they more often were, in my view—a reflection of the facts that in the Senate, a unified and dug-in minority can thwart a majority, and even a majority can pass legislation only as progressive as the sixtieth senator will allow because of the super-majority voting rules. I recall several conversations with administration officials who had worked for months on certain policy matters but who knew that the ideas would never get through the Senate. And presidents just don’t have endless political capital.

I’ve always found this a useful heuristic: imagine Obama in his first term with LBJ-like majorities in Congress, sixty-eight senators and nearly three hundred House members. What would he have passed? It’s useful because our answers define the limits of mainstream liberalism—what it would be willing to push for, and the interests it would be hesitant to take on.

First, I think a larger stimulus would have passed, with fewer tax cuts and more spending, like the green school construction proposal that was killed by Republican Susan Collins. Quite possibly there would have been a second stimulus the next year (a good and needed dose of Keynesian counter-cyclical spending). A more progressive health care bill with a public option might well have passed. Certainly a minimum wage increase. A big infrastructure bill. The Democrats would have done something on climate change—nothing on the scale of today’s Green New Deal ambitions, but something. Immigration reform. Probably a student-loan reform bill. And, I believe, a paid family leave bill of some kind (some of this would have depended on where those extra eight Democratic senators were from and what they were willing to support).

Some things that still would not have passed: Medicare for All; free college; card-check legislation to ease union organizing, which was opposed by southern Democrats; aggressive antitrust legislation; any efforts to take on or break up the big tech companies; any bill that would have seriously weakened the power of Big Pharma. It’s also quite unlikely there would have been any effort to break up or punish the big banks—on that issue, Obama was definitely not a populist crusader.

The broader American public would likely have been delighted with this balance sheet (which Republicans knew well and took care to thwart). But the left would not have been, because Obama would still have failed to take on some powerful special interests and because he would have refrained from adopting the broad Sanders-esque efforts to combat wealth concentration and corporate power. Also, people on the left would have judged the accomplishments inadequate, as surely many of them would have been—student debt forgiveness not generous enough, the climate measure not ambitious enough, and so on. So their assessment of Obama as a neoliberal would still have stood.

(...)

nyrb/tomasky
layman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 06:07 am
@hightor,
"Yet the left...sometimes acts as if Republicans don’t exist and have no say in political outcomes."

It's one big-ass bubble they live in, sho nuff.

"imagine...LBJ-like majorities in Congress, sixty-eight senators and nearly three hundred House members. "

Good luck with that, cheese-eaters. If that happens, it won't be the Dems in control. The commies are off the reservation and the party is disintegrating.

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 06:18 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Yet the left, in its critiques, sometimes acts as if Republicans don’t exist and have no say in political outcomes.

Mike's a very bright boy and I always read him when something comes into view. This piece is typically clarifying. It's easy enough to understand how younger folks might fail to appreciate this sort of complexity and history but there's not much excuse for older people or political students to forget it. FWIW, years ago, Mike and Greg Sargent were colleagues at the sadly disappeared Village Voice.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 06:18 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I think because of your vote harassment, I’ll vote Green again. Thanks!

Once Burnie gets the shaft, a shitload of his supporters will vote for Trump, out of spite.

And god knows they have a lot of spite.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 06:51 am
This NYT head/subhead points to an example of why the All Or Nothing vision of political advance is stupid and, much worse, is counter productive to the goals at issue.
Quote:
‘There Must Be a Woman On This Ticket’

A female vice president would make history. But some cringe at settling for silver after spending a year competing hard for the gold.

Easy enough to understand anger and frustration at the continuing cultural suppression of women in political leadership. But advance happens a step at a time and partial victories build the ground on which the next victory can be more easily attained. So, of course, a woman in the VP slot constitutes a significant advance to the goal of a woman in the WH.

Edit: Another example is the manner in which movement conservatives have taken over the GOP. This has been a very long and well strategized path. As Rick Perlstein put it in a quote I posted here last week, "These were very disciplined cats".

0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 06:59 am
Democrats’ hunt for Trump slayer may lead to Hillary Clinton comeback

Quote:
So it’s all set. Biden will be the nominee and give the party a solid chance of scoring a November trifecta: beating President Trump, taking the Senate and holding the House.

Count me as skeptical.

The widespread belief that the former veep is ready and able to go the distance strikes me as wishful thinking at best. It is suspect because it is so sudden and reflects a complete reversal of the sentiment about him less than two weeks ago.

The political obituaries were already written and blamed his demise largely on the notion that his party had left him behind. Then there were his brain freezes and frequent bouts of oddball references...His revival can’t erase the memory of the sad failure he was just two weeks ago, nor are the cognitive issues suddenly resolved by a winning streak.

But who are the alternatives? All the supposed moderates — Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Bloomberg — were thoroughly rejected by primary voters. The prickly Warren finished third in her home state.

All of which leaves Clinton as the best backup plan. She’s hardly my cup of tea but for all her problems, including doubts about her physical stamina, she is a fundraising machine, has a true following and could hit the ground running.

And, in case you hadn’t noticed, she’s advertising her availability.

...She didn’t really lose the 2016 election. Trump colluded with the Russians to deprive her of her civil right to be president. You’re with her, or a misogynist.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/07/democrats-hunt-for-trump-slayer-may-lead-to-hillary-clinton-comeback-goodwin/

Hahahahahaha.

0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 07:20 am
Tony Karon
@TonyKaron
·
13h
Maybe we should get our catastrophes in perspective, and cancel anyone who supported the illegal invasion of Iraq?

Paul Krugman
@paulkrugman
· 17h
Cornel West supported Jill Stein in 2016. No Democratic candidate should be featuring him at events
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 07:21 am
Hillary Clinton on being vice president: ‘Never say never’

Quote:
Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres asked the former Secretary of State on Thursday whether she’d agree to be on the ticket of the of the eventual Democratic nominee, if she were asked....Pushed on the question, Clinton, 72, reluctantly said she’d consider it.

The former 2016 Democratic presidential nominee revealed on an appearance on the UK’s “Graham Norton Show,” in December that she’d been “deluged” with pleas to run again.

“I’d have to make up my mind really quickly,” she said at the time, “because it’s moving very fast.”

https://nypost.com/2020/02/06/hillary-clinton-on-being-vice-president-never-say-never/

So, here's the plan, I figure. In deference to protocol, Hilly will "reluctantly" agree to be the first female VP. Then, within a few weeks, Joey, like other obstacles in the path of the Clintons' ambition, will be eliminated. He will mysteriously become infected by the coronavirus. Then Hilly will succeed to presidential candidate and will appoint Kammy Harris as her running mate. They will count on getting 100% of the female vote, and hence winning the election.

It's gunna ROCK!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 08:41 am
@layman,
still living in 1992 I see.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 08:46 am

Michael Tracey
@mtracey
·
1h
In new CNN national poll (which is almost irrelevant for future primary states because CA + TX have already voted) Biden leads Bernie 66% - 26% when voters are asked which candidate has the best chance to beat Trump. Bernie campaign has failed to make the case on this question
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 08:50 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
13m
Saudi Arabia and Russia are arguing over the price and flow of oil. That, and the Fake News, is the reason for the market drop!

He's not going to stop lying. He's not going to stop trying to blame anything or anyone other than himself for the spread of covid or denying that the pandemic was so badly mishandled. And more importantly, he is not going to stop caring about his re-election more than anything else.

If you weren't convinced he is a sociopath, you better get to that conclusion quickly because your families are at risk from this evil creature.

Quote:
Jonathan Chait
@jonathanchait
1h
stocks plunge on news of Von Sydow death
Brand X

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 09:10 am
David Sirota
@davidsirota
·
12h
NEWS: Biden issued a press release bragging that he was "one of the Senate's most conservative Democrats." As proof, he cited his votes to restrict abortion & pass the Social Security-cutting balanced budget amendment.
layman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 09:14 am
@blatham,
56,000 people a year die from the common flu. Why aren't the Chicken Littles panicking about that, I wonder? It's contagious, and it's everywhere, I tells ya!

It has already spread to a house near you. Maybe your own.

We're all gunna die!!!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 09:19 am
@layman,
The coronavirus Sars-CoV-2 is novel, the immune system is not prepared for it, then there are the differences in the possibilities for treatment and prevention etc etc etc
Brand X

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 09:21 am
Booker has endorsed Biden.

Michael Tracey
@mtracey
·
2h
When
@JulianCastro
questioned Biden's cognitive fitness, Cory Booker said Castro's criticisms were "legitimate" and expressed doubts that "in a long grueling campaign" Biden would be able to "get the ball over the line"
0 Replies