hightor

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 07:57 am
@blatham,
Music to my ears.

I'm going to make an effort to be nicer. I'm not kidding.

I hope the candidates do the same.
blatham

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 08:11 am
@hightor,
I think Ed is one of the brightest folks around. And his experience in Dem politics goes way back. He's a very gracious fellow. I had a brief exchange with him years ago when I made a point countering something he'd written at The Democratic Strategist and he popped in to the comment section and told me I'd got it right.

As regards civility, normally you do this probably better than any of us. But yeah, let's all improve.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 08:27 am
Quote:

@AOC: “Right now, November, this is more important than all of us and we really need to make sure that we defeat Donald Trump at the polls.”

Boy, this woman has a future.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 09:10 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

She would probably have suffered about the same fate than Sanders in 2016, but indeed Sanders himself thought she was more electable than he was. So maybe she would have fared a little bit better than him, but I doubt she could have beaten Clinton.

I think if Sanders had decided not to run in 2020 and instead put his full support behind Warren, then she'd already be the democratic nominee and we'd be 100% focused on Trump right now.
blatham

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 09:19 am
@maporsche,
Darned good guess, I think, ma.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 09:30 am
Biden may be being setup as a sacrificial lamb this cycle, saving the other candidates for next time. He's going to be shredded by Trump.

Matt Stoller
@matthewstoller
·
15h
Democratic insiders know Biden has cognitive decline issues. They joke about it. They don’t care.
oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 09:39 am
@Brand X,
If Biden is the one who carries the Democrats to defeat in 2020, that will mean in 2024 the left will insist that the Democrats can only win with radical extremist at the top of the ticket. If they get their way it will guarantee a Republican victory in 2024 as well.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 09:41 am
@Brand X,
Quote:
Matthews critics have been frustrated by the attitudes he's displayed on air, unchallenged, for years. The moment with Warren felt different. Suddenly, the tide turned.

I wish people would start standing up to the me too freak show instead of letting them destroy so many lives.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 09:45 am
@Brand X,
Quote:
He's going to be shredded by Trump.

He's going to have to be carefully coached and he's going to have to discipline himself not to respond to Trump's (or Sanders's, for that matter) taunts. I admit to having some concern here. I'm not worried about his performance as president, however, as he'll have loads of good people around him.

hightor

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 09:52 am
“Warren was an incredibly competent, pragmatic, intelligent and well-spoken — in other words, she never had a chance.” — SETH MEYERS

“In spite of her experience, her track record and her skills in the debates, American voters ultimately decided she just didn’t have what they were looking for in a president, which is a penis.” — JIMMY KIMMEL

“Yeah, after a lot of thought and reflection, Warren realized she was overqualified for the job.” — JIMMY FALLON

“Yeah, apparently, America isn’t ready to have a president who’s only 70.” — CONAN O’BRIEN

“Honestly, I can’t say I blame Elizabeth Warren for dropping out. If there was ever a time you’d want to stop shaking millions of hands, this might be it.” — JIMMY FALLON

“Warren is gone. That’s it. She’s out of the race. Further proof that America cannot have nice things.” — STEPHEN COLBERT

“And now the big question is who is Elizabeth Warren going to endorse: Biden or Bernie? Is she going to swipe right or really far left?” — TREVOR NOAH

nyt
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 09:56 am
@hightor,
He couldn't keep his **** together facing down some challenging voters on the campaign trail. Trump is going to push every button he's got and then some.

Opposition research on Joe is mountainous and Trump is expert at making it stick. I'm making myself ill just thinking about it.
revelette3

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 10:04 am
Bernie Sanders Campaign Rally Disrupted by Protester with Nazi Flag

Sad, truly awful.
revelette3

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 10:12 am
@Brand X,
Bernie might keep his cool better, but he will never get the votes. He just doesn't have the following it will take to get him elected.

It's not as though he is a normal democratic candidate. He is an advocate for changing our whole system of government in the US. It is just scary, no matter which side on the humanity scale a President falls in when they have such a wide-scale agenda. I would rather have a president who just wants to make things better by having sound ideas that deal with circumstances we are faced with rather than a lifelong ideological agenda drive a president's policies. (if that makes sense.)

I am not sure Biden will win either. However, there is a small chance, there are enough people in the US who just want a return to normal which Biden has come to represent, even with all his flaws. Hopefully, around him, if he should win, there will be a lot of smart people who just want to clean up the mess of Donald Trump.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 10:30 am
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

He couldn't keep his **** together facing down some challenging voters on the campaign trail. Trump is going to push every button he's got and then some.

Opposition research on Joe is mountainous and Trump is expert at making it stick. I'm making myself ill just thinking about it.

You guys kill me with your handwringing about what Trump’s gonna do to us. You talk about the mountains of oppo against Biden - Trump has done exponentially more, worse things. And he’s no eloquent, expert debater - he’s a loudmouth bully who’s borderline stark raving nuts. I don’t think Joe will be bullied. I think his natural dislike of Trump will come across and allow Joe to stand up to him just fine.

They gaslight you into treating it as if 17,000 lies, nepotism and fraud and collusion and hookers and Epstein etc., etc. is all normal.
If we just use the ammunition he so generously gives us daily, we should have nothing to fear on the debate stage. We need to stop buying into this idea that he’s such a big bad thing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 11:04 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
Sad, truly awful.

Not nearly as awful as Sanders' neonazi attacks against Israel.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 11:05 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I think if Sanders had decided not to run in 2020 and instead put his full support behind Warren, then she'd already be the democratic nominee and we'd be 100% focused on Trump right now.

Alternative universes are fun to play with. I doubt the centrists would have folded early. Why would they? Instead they would have fought all the way to the convention, as they will do now.
maporsche

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 11:13 am
FiveThirtyEight.com released their updated model just now.

It says that Bernie has a 2% chance of winning a majority of delegates at this point in the race (with the caveat that there aren't a lot of polls post Super Tuesday and the California votes are not yet finished counting).

Ouch (for Bernie supporters).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/after-super-tuesday-joe-biden-is-a-clear-favorite-to-win-the-nomination/
oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 11:22 am
@maporsche,
We'll see. But if so it will go against a lot of New Hampshire primary history.
blatham

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 11:23 am
@maporsche,
Wow.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 11:24 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I doubt the centrists would have folded early. Why would they?

We're in an alternate universe. So, without the Sanders campaign pulling her to the left, Warren might have fashioned a more center-left approach and attracted more moderates from the beginning.
0 Replies