Sturgis

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 03:57 pm
@Lash,
I wasn't taking offense.

Let's move forward.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 04:17 pm
"I apologize if you were offended". Classic politician's apology.
0 Replies

Laurex

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 04:48 pm
@oralloy,
@Edgarblythe I agree with this: "If Israeli Palestinians want to fit in, they should consider converting to Judaism. If they don't want to fit in, they should consider leaving."
So, what's the problem?

Liberals/leftists are all about basically "live and let live" so by any definition of that then - what's the problem?

Its not like Europe has enough problems adjusting third-world peoples to our ways of life, as if our way of live is evil to them.... oohh so offensive!
Laurex

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 04:53 pm
@Laurex,
Someone voted -1 to my post. So, whats the problem?
coldjoint

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 04:58 pm
@Laurex,
Quote:
Someone voted -1 to my post. So, whats the problem?

They have no argument. You will not get an answer.
0 Replies

Laurex

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 04:59 pm
@oralloy,
Politically-right minded: The alternative to "fitting in" = move to another country.
Politically-left minded: Come to our country no matter what! We feel sorry for you, screw our own children they are privileged enough as it is! Sad
Laurex

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 05:10 pm
@Laurex,
Someone downvoted me.
Ok someone down voted me - own up. Whats up. Whats wrong with what I said then.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 05:16 pm
@Laurex,
I voted you up. And again, you wont get an answer. Most likely the down votes will get worse. Thinking for yourself is roundly discouraged here. But please form your own opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 05:21 pm
To condemn people for investing in corporations is the sort of witless, knee-jerk reaction that is rightfully condemned in conservatives who call all Muslims terrorists, or make out that all "liberals" are reckless touchy-feelly types. There is nothing wrong with corporations, or even capitalists--as long as they are kept on a short leash.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 05:29 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
rightfully condemned in conservatives who call all Muslims terrorists

No one calls all Muslims terrorists except apologists. It is a way to stop the discussion and it is simply not true. People are saying Islam itself is a serious problem, and to deny it is not makes you a fool.. Or you could be even lazier and call them Islamophobes.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 05:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

That poster is likely tied to some corporation that keeps his/her bank account green.

I don't even know if you understand how ignorant you are.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 05:34 pm
A positive for Kennedy III

Bob Fitzgerald

@BobsSeeds

Rep. Joe Kennedy III, who recently switched from prohibitionist to pro-legalization, emphasizes the need to support "the communities of color across our country terrorized by the war on drugs." http://dlvr.it/QsWD58 #canada #news #cannabis
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 05:37 pm
@Laurex,
I automatically downvote everyone who complains about votes.
Laurex

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 06:03 pm
@maporsche,
Then that auto makes you a bigot, in today's definition
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 06:05 pm
I haven't connected Kennedy to anything dishonest.

Joseph Kennedy III sits on the following committees:

House Committee on Energy and Commerce
Member, Subcommittee on Digital Commerce and Consumer Protection
Member, Subcommittee on Energy
Member, Subcommittee on Health

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-truth-about-congress-and-financial-conflicts/2017/10/19/8ea8afd6-b382-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.bc0fbe3346e1
Of the senators who remain active in the stock market, they have a high propensity for trading stocks in businesses they directly oversee from their committees. From these perches, members of Congress often are privy to information that could directly affect the value of stocks, posing a serious conflict of interest when trading in those markets. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), one of the Senate's more prolific players in the stock market, sits on the Senate Subcommittee on Primary Health and Retirement Security as well as the Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law, all the while trading stocks in the health-care and technology industries. Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) joins Whitehouse in trading stocks in infrastructure businesses he directly oversees from his position on the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee. The list goes on of senators playing in the stock markets of industries directly related to their official oversight roles in Congress.

Politico found a similarly disturbing trend in both chambers of Congress. Politico identified about 30 percent of members of the House and Senate who are currently active in the stock market. Several of these members play in the markets over which they have some direct legislative responsibility — in some cases, even sponsoring legislation that could have a direct bearing on their stock investments.

Just as problematic, many congressional senior staffers — who have been removed from public scrutiny of their stock-trading activities when Congress eliminated the comprehensive disclosure requirement of the Stock Act — are also trading stocks in industries their bosses directly oversee. Last year, three members of the Senate Judiciary Committee asked the Justice Department whether the drug company Mylan was violating federal drug laws. Nine days later, the Justice Department agreed and levied a massive settlement penalty against the company. After the letter and before the settlement, a senior staffer to the Judiciary Committee dumped between $4,004 and $60,000 of Mylan stock investments.

Such conflicts of interest in stock trading activity are squarely addressed in the executive branch. Senior executive branch officials are required to divest themselves of any stocks and other properties that pose a direct conflict of interest with their official duties. The same ethics standard should apply to Congress — both to members and senior staff. A member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, for example, should not be actively buying or selling stocks in the defense industry.

In order to ensure compliance with the Stock Act, it is imperative that Congress reestablish its searchable, sortable and downloadable disclosure system for stock trades by members and senior staff. No doubt the limited disclosure system still in place has contributed to the decline in congressional stock-trading activity. But the ongoing conflicts of interest in the stock market by some members of Congress and their staff call for a much more robust online disclosure system.

Furthermore, the "political intelligence" industry — the secretive Wall Street operatives and lobbyists who roam the halls of Congress in search of valuable information to sell on the stock market — must be brought out of the shadows. The Political Intelligence Transparency Act, reintroduced by Reps. Louise M. Slaughter (D-N.Y.) and John J. Duncan Jr. (R-Tenn.), would mandate that these operatives register under the Lobby Disclosure Act and disclose their clients and activities on a regular basis.

While the Stock Act has clearly been a phenomenal achievement in reducing troubling stock-trading activity by members of Congress, more remains to be done. It is time to revisit and strengthen the law.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 06:41 pm
@Laurex,
European Americans came to America to steal Indian lands. And they did so. Palestinian people were in palistian long before the europian Jews and should be the ones to return to Europe. The Nazis are all gone now.
Laurex

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 07:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Their Muslim "way of life" is still prosperous in "all accepting" Britain.
Come, build Mosques, remove our heritage, its fine as long as we promote "live and let live" regardless. Rape us, for as long as anyone else are infidels then the world remains not at peace.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 07:07 pm
@Laurex,
Quote:
Rape us, for as long as anyone else are infidels then the world remains not at peace.

An informed opinion. Islam says there will be no peace until Sharia rules the world. And a large number of Muslims are acting on that obligation.
Laurex

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 07:15 pm
@coldjoint,
@coldjoint
Speaking on behalf of a highly Muslim, British city... I welcome ANY disapproval of this.
From a working class (poor) family background of the West Midlands I can hand on heart say that Bordesely Green is an utter **** hole, and that's being polite about it. Pardon me! Turning Britain, and so western civilisation **** again, back into the caveman era. Aka ... a certain religion.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 07:20 pm
@Laurex,
Quote:
Speaking on behalf of a highly Muslim, British city... I welcome ANY disapproval of this.

You need to talk to Izzy. He thinks everything about Islam is harmless and racist. It is nice to know someone actually sees what he denies. I do not expect anyone to polite, it seems to be a thing of the past like backbone.