snood

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:05 pm
@Sturgis,
So you want a woman president, just not this woman?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:07 pm
@Sturgis,
So your complaint is that she panders?
Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:13 pm
@snood,
That about sums it up.

That's what bugs me about so many politicians.
blatham

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:23 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Nah, I just do not like her. She has an annoying habit of changing mid-tune when realizing voters are not happy with her actions/comments.
I don't get either complaint. The first, "I don't like her" is the sort of gut-level response I think ought not to be trusted (or certainly not made definitive) because the source(s) of such a response are usually impenetrable and often irrational. Take the example of some friend who will say about another of your friends, "I just don't like him" but you find that response very weird and inexplicable. Or the counter-example of folks who like Donald Trump. You do?!

As to changing style of presentation, that seems to me the same sort of process anyone in the arts or letters or other activities, where audience must be attended to, will have to deal with. For example, comics like Steve Martin who spent years honing his act. Recall when Obama, inn his first debate with Romney, fared rather poorly and so then had to change up the way he approached debating and then did fine in the next.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:31 pm
@Sturgis,
I’m trying to not factor in plain old misogyny into my reasoning for how Liz Warren could end up as fifth on your list.

“Just don’t like her; Just something about her” is the kind of **** I used to hear people use to justify not supporting someone I thought was the most qualified person in another presidential campaign- Hillary Clinton.

Liz Warren’s demonstrated core driving traits are things like meticulous planning, hard work and passion to serve the public good.

“She panders just like other politicians”? Really?

Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:42 pm
@snood,
Unlike many anti-Hillary people, I will vote for Warren should she receive the nomination. The same was true for Hillary Clinton.

It may be useful to you to be aware that I have voted for women. If they present an agenda that I am in agreement on, or if the others running in the general election (November) are not the sort I'm good with. Most of my votes go to the Democrat on the ticket. (with a few notable exceptions).

Further, I did not say all politicians do this. Just far too many. If honesty and integrity aren't evident in their political history, how, indeed, why, should I trust them?
coldjoint

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:49 pm
@snood,
Quote:
“She panders just like other politicians”? Really?

The lady who says a transgender child will pick her secretary of Education is not pandering? She is also a proven liar, once by her own brother.
Quote:
core driving traits are things like meticulous planning, hard work and passion to serve the public good.

She has shown she will do anything to get the nomination.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:49 pm
@Sturgis,
As Blatham very eloquently says above, the thing she does about shifting her stances in response to what her constituents say is the same thing all good politicians do.

I couldn’t understand why you would name that as something about her that puts you off.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 04:55 pm
@snood,
Change is good. I get that. some of hers has been too sudden and then followed soon after by lambasting others who have done similar. (her attack on Buttigieg and his wine cave fundraiser which was less than her high price wine fundraiser, is one example)
hightor

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 05:30 pm
https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5e4f1bc9c4b87000081a5461/master/w_380,c_limit/2020_03_02.jpg
Lash

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 05:33 pm
@hightor,
Oh....yeah. Love it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 05:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
(her attack on Buttigieg and his wine cave fundraiser which was less than her high price wine fundraiser, is one example)
A valid complaint, for sure. But it seems to me it is one of very few like it. Recall Obama in debate with Hllary tossing off a comment that was rather dismissive and pompous (can't recall exact words). It was perhaps the only thing Obama did or said that I found disagreeable. But it was that.
blatham

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 05:43 pm
@hightor,
Perfect. Life would be far less fun without the New Yorker.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 06:10 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
(her attack on Buttigieg and his wine cave fundraiser which was less than her high price wine fundraiser, is one example)
A valid complaint, for sure. But it seems to me it is one of very few like it. Recall Obama in debate with Hllary tossing off a comment that was rather dismissive and pompous (can't recall exact words). It was perhaps the only thing Obama did or said that I found disagreeable. But it was that.

It was, “You’re likable enough.”
blatham

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 07:19 pm
@snood,
Good man. It's a treat to have this bunch of smart folks kicking about. It's even better than a visit with my in laws, the one's not in prison.
snood

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 08:41 pm
@blatham,
Love you too
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 08:50 pm
Jesus christ, we're doomed. A month or 3 weeks ago, I made a joke here suggesting that the sales of Corona beer might be in jeopardy.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ER0McSqWsAEvBu-?format=png&name=900x900
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:36 pm
Listen up everyone. Here's someone known for honesty and who wishes nothing but success for the Dems
Quote:
Sarah Huckabee Sanders
@SarahHuckabee
· 6h
If Bernie goes in with the most votes and the Democrat establishment steals it from him again they’ll forever brand the Democratic party the anti-Democratic party https://twitter.com/donaldjtrumpjr/status/1233037242609930240
snood

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:43 pm
@blatham,
You know what’s weird? The Bernie faithful resist any talk that’s dubious of the sincerity of all these Republican well-wishers.

They either actually believe the GOP is really advocating fairness in the election, or their brittle defensiveness about Bernie just won’t tolerate the notion that the republicans think Bernie could be easily beaten.

Either one is not good.
oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:58 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
The Bernie faithful resist any talk that's dubious of the sincerity of all these Republican well-wishers.

I've not noticed any such resistance. Are you referring to posts from places other than a2k?

snood wrote:
They either actually believe the GOP is really advocating fairness in the election, or their brittle defensiveness about Bernie just won't tolerate the notion that the republicans think Bernie could be easily beaten.

My guess would be that they don't even worry about whether the support is sincere, as I doubt that this support is terribly relevant to them.

I doubt that they care if Republicans believe that Bernie could be easily beaten. They would believe that those Republicans are wrong, and would leave it at that.
0 Replies