Lash

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 09:32 am
@blatham,
Point out the dishonesty and the lie.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 09:33 am
@blatham,
“I always try to agree with Hillary...”. Notable.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 09:34 am
@snood,
Apparently, he has known about this a month before it was reported by the WP. Bernie asked why the WP came out with this the eve before the Nevada vote, the WP responded they reported it when they knew it. The same cannot be said of Bernie Sanders. He has kept quiet about it.

Quote:
Asked why the briefing was reported now, a month later, Sanders said: “I’ll let you guess about one day before the, the Nevada caucus. Why do you think it came out?”

Sanders pointed to a Post reporter and said sarcastically: “It was The Washington Post? Good friends.”

“We report news when we learn it,” said Kristine Coratti, a spokeswoman for The Post.

WP

To give credit to where its due, unlike Trump he doesn't deny it and call it fake news. Moreover, he made it clear he doesn't want Russia's help out loud which is way more than Trump has done these last three years.
blatham

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 09:40 am
This gets it exactly right
Quote:
The Foxification of the intelligence community follows the DOJ script

President Donald Trump has spent months trying to remake the Justice Department in Fox News’ image. Now he’s trying to do the same thing to the U.S. intelligence community.

It is a truism that Trump gets his morning intelligence briefing from the propagandists at Fox. The network’s programming firmly slants the news in favor of Trump’s personal interests, and the president appears to expect no less from the U.S. intelligence community. When U.S. intelligence instead produces information that hurts him politically -- on North Korea, or the Middle East, or Russia -- he denies the facts and attacks the people who brought them to light.

This discrepancy could only last so long. Trump views federal agencies as extensions of his personal whim, and it is anathema to him that the job of the intelligence community might involve impartially providing accurate information. Just as he decries Fox when it diverts even slightly from pure propaganda, he wants U.S. intelligence agencies to cater to his political biases and operate for his personal benefit...
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 09:40 am
@blatham,
I am just waiting to find out how Lash is going to play up the Russian angle with Bernie Sanders? Is she going to use it as Bernie did to brush off his responsibility to his more vicious supporters? If she does, what does that say about her denial of Russia's interference in 2016 up to this point? Or is she going to deny it in Bernie's case too?
blatham

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 09:57 am
Quote:
Quote:
Bernie Sanders
@BernieSanders
· 14h
I've got news for the Republican establishment. I've got news for the Democratic establishment. They can't stop us.

Quote:
Josh Marshall
@joshtpm
Reaffirms that when Sanders talks about “the Democratic establishment”, something that barely exists, he really means Democrats. Also anticipates my great fear which is that a Sanders General election campaign will be 1/2 against Trump and 1/2 against the Democratic Party.

Obviously a valid concern. Every candidate has to set himself/herself up as unique, different from the rest. Sanders' strategy was to frame himself as outside the Dems (though running as one because there was no other way for him to make a viable run).

But that strategy is in danger of become highly destructive to his own chances of winning a general AND of gain majorities in Senate and House which he must do to get anything done if in the WH. I'm not at all sure Sanders gets this.

Edit: Related point. If Sanders is attempting to gain non-affiliated voters (those who harbor suspicions or resentments to partisan and government institutions) how the hell would he be imagining this will help him later in garnering support for significant levels of change he is proposing? Once in office, he IS the face of government and the face of the Dem party.
blatham

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:01 am
@revelette3,
God knows. But it hardly matters what words she throws out. It's a curiosity (how will troll X deal with issue Y?) but it has no consequences.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:02 am
@blatham,
Quote:
...majorities in Senate and House...

Seems to be a general lacuna of the left, although Ocasio-Cortez, to her credit, sort of let out that the president can't wave a wand and make things happen.
hightor

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:10 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
The same cannot be said of Bernie Sanders. He has kept quiet about it.

Was the briefing supposed to be kept in confidence? Even if it were, he could have said something. At this point, I haven't learned what the alleged support was. But let's assume it it was social media comments. He could have had his staff track down some of the worst examples, expose the source, and strenuously disavow them.

Quote:
...Sanders said: “I’ll let you guess about one day before the, the Nevada caucus. Why do you think it came out?”

That's ridiculous. He's trying to make it sound sinister. How does possible Russian interference make him look bad?
blatham

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:16 am
@hightor,
Yeah, she's brighter than most. For many others, it's straight magical thinking. I remember being 19 and filled to bursting with notions of my own purity.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:18 am
@hightor,
Quote:
That's ridiculous. He's trying to make it sound sinister. How does possible Russian interference make him look bad?
It's a Trump-style move. Very stupid.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:25 am
Beutler echos my earlier comment
Quote:
subscribe to my newsletter
@brianbeutler
I know the congressional ethics process is fucked, but it's still weird that there's zero interest in who's financing farmer Devin's multiplying frivolous lawsuits against journalists and political enemies.

Because it may not be taxpayers funding this. Or it may be some combination. But lack of reportorial interest is a big fat omission.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:54 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

For the life of me, I can't imagine how anyone might see this as Stalinist. Stalin admired and supported those who disagreed with and criticized him.

That's a deliberately deceptive and distorted comparison. Purges in dysfunctional organizations, whether governmental or commercial are often needed, and accomplished by merely reassigning or moving employees involved from their current assignments. That's not at all the same or even comparable to being shot in the head or sent to the Gulag. in Siberia.

It often appears that you see these things as little rhetorical triumphs. In fact they are merely lies.
hightor

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 11:18 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
That's not at all the same or even comparable to being shot in the head or sent to the Gulag. in Siberia.

Over-reaction. "Stalinism", in this case, is referring to the typical authoritarian refusal to accept information which isn't sufficiently supportive of the ruler's political stance, the need for all government employees to make an outward show of loyalty, and the distortion of facts and news stories to fit the state's narrative.

Can you show how our intelligence agencies are "dysfunctional" and need to be "purged"?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 12:28 pm
Quote:
Laurence Tribe
@tribelaw
Admiral Wm. McRaven, who oversaw the raid that killed Osama Bin Laden, concluded: “We should be deeply afraid for the future of the nation. When presidential ego and self-preservation are more important than national security, there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil.”

Courageous man.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 12:29 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Courageous man.

Highly paid hack.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 12:34 pm
@georgeob1,
Read hightor's post just below yours. There's no good reason for you to mis-apprehend my point.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 01:57 pm
@blatham,
I’m not being facetious here, but really asking. Why do you consider what the general said “courageous “?
snood

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 02:14 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

I am just waiting to find out how Lash is going to play up the Russian angle with Bernie Sanders? Is she going to use it as Bernie did to brush off his responsibility to his more vicious supporters? If she does, what does that say about her denial of Russia's interference in 2016 up to this point? Or is she going to deny it in Bernie's case too?

It doesn’t really matter because whatever she says, it will be impossible to sort out anything informative or even genuine from all the disingenuous posturing, and bitter ill intent.

Bernie is the only good. Every other politician is inferior. Agree or you’re phony or cowardly.
Lather rinse repeat.

Useless.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 02:40 pm
67% of all voters under 30 — for Bernie. Pete, 2nd at 13%
36% of all union families — for Bernie. Biden, 2nd at 19%

Entrance declarations at polling places by voters.

🔥🌹
0 Replies