coldjoint

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 11:29 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Could anything be more obvious than this?

I would say your constant lies give it very stiff competition.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 11:38 am

Kevin Robillard
@Robillard
· 52m
In a new memo this a.m., Team Buttigieg calls on BLOOMBERG to drop out.

“If Bloomberg remains in the race despite showing he can not offer a viable alternative to Bernie Sanders, he will propel Sanders to a seemingly insurmountable delegate lead siphoning votes away from Pete. “
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 11:41 am
What I saw in Warren last night is much of what first attracted me to her as a politician years ago. Her astuteness and wit in going after fat cats impressed me when she went after CEOs of major companies and when she went after Bloomberg last night.I don’t see how anyone could see her eviscerate Bloomberg last night and not wonder at least, how that would play out if she were face-to-face with Trump on stage.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 11:55 am
@Olivier5,
I think you’re probably right that I have allowed Lash to harden my opinion of other Bernie supporters.

But I do maintain that Bernie supporters certainly seem to turn a blind eye to valid criticism of Bernie.

In my opinion, criticism of an 78-year-old man who wants to be the leader of the free world who had a heart attack recently who promised to, then does not fully disclose medical information is very valid.
engineer

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 12:04 pm
@revelette3,
So with all the other alternatives, why Bloomberg if not Biden? Klobuchar is a centrist Democrat, Buttigieg is your classic US liberal to the left of Klobuchar if you want that. You have choices besides the extremes.
Brand X

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 12:24 pm
Ryan Grim
@ryangrim
·
43m
Klobochar running for Senate in '06: "I'm committed to this war on terror. *I'm someone who puts people in jail for a living.* I'm tough on security. I believe the people on the front line have to have the tools to wiretap, to do the surveillance we need."
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 12:52 pm
Stone's sentence
40 months on count one
12 months on each of counts two through six, but concurrent
18 months on count seven, concurrent
24 months of supervised release
$20,000 fine

From Judge's comments
Quote:
“This effort to obstruct investigation was deliberate, planned, not on isolated incident, and conducted” over a considerable about of time, Berman Jackson said before handing down the sentence Thursday.

“He was not prosecuted, as some have complained, for standing up for the President, he was prosecuted for covering up for the President,” she added.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 12:53 pm
Quote:
Michael Calderone
@mlcalderone
Big debate ratings: Nearly 20 million watched across NBC and MSNBC; also, 13.5 million live streams, according to the network.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:03 pm
Another No ****, Sherlock! award right here
Quote:
McKay Coppins
@mckaycoppins
“We can’t remove all of it because it will disproportionately affect conservatives" — Facebook's most senior Republican executive, reportedly arguing against taking down fake-news pages.
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:07 pm
The effectiveness of right wing propaganda illustrated very clearly here

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1230467775430381575/HL6BIQcu?format=png&name=900x900
The red line falls below 25% and the blue line rises above 75%
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:12 pm
Which Warren could you vote for?

Zach Carter
@zachdcarter
·
59m
I've covered Elizabeth Warren on and off for 12 years. For the past few months, she has seemed almost unrecognizable to me. Last night she finally sounded like herself.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:13 pm
Trump hasn't yet been tutored on what to say about Stone's sentencing but he was bold and honest enough to tweet a clip from Tucker Carlson's show last night on the matter. He's soooo worthy of respect, this president. A giant among men.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:19 pm
@engineer,
I wouldn't be at all disappointed if I got the chance to vote for a Klobuchar/Booker ticket in November. But I don't think it's in the cards. It would have been a winning ticket in 2016 but the whole atmosphere is toxic this time around. I doubt she'll make it out of Super Tuesday.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:27 pm
@blatham,
If my interpetation is simplistic, what's yours?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:33 pm
@Brand X,
Klobuchar wrote:
I believe the people on the front line have to have the tools to wiretap, to do the surveillance we need.

This is from 2006. Way before the Snowden leaks. Guess what — people in the USA didn't like ugly and deadly surprises such as what happened on September 11, five years before. Our intelligence agencies were considered our first line of defense and were given the tools they believed they needed to surveil, infiltrate, disrupt, and eliminate terrorist threats. It's very likely the senator wasn't aware of the extent of domestic spying unless she were a member of the Intelligence Committee — which she wasn't. We can criticize the woman for being too centrist but really, not for wanting to put terrorists in jail.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:37 pm
@Brand X,
I’d agree with that assessment.

I also thought The Klob was going to cry three different times under the mild but forceful humiliation served up by Pete. Trump would mop the floor with her. I thought Liz won the debate, but MSNBC definitely skewed to her and, of course, away from Bernie.

Bernie was good, but it irked me that Liz kept introducing great policies Bern had before her—but if she’s that deft a debater, she earned it.

I should send Liz a few bucks for cutting ass on Bloomberg.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:40 pm
@snood,
Quote:
In my opinion, criticism of an 78-year-old man who wants to be the leader of the free world who had a heart attack recently who promised to, then does not fully disclose medical information is very valid.

I kind of agree with you, although that's just my opinion. We all have one. Sorry for stating the obvious, but politically-charged folks tend to turn a blind eye to their champion's weaknesses. It's pretty much universal. It's not just "the Bros" or Trumpists. You do it and I do it.

There's even a proverb for it: Love is blind.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
"Better" must surely include making it stronger and that's not the case because his candidacy is built in great part on the notion that the party itself is or has been the enemy of citizens with leftist ideals and goals.

No one can "become stronger" if one rejects accountability and denies any responsibility in one's own problems. The Democrats are not above critique. They are responsible for their own problems and should accept accountability here, to a far greater degree than they do. They need to do some self-criticism and soul searching.

In an effort to occupy the political center, the Dems have drifted away from looking after the concerns and problems of the American working class. Busy as they were to cultivate their links to donors, they forgot about the average Joe. Sanders kicked that anthill in the 2016 primaries already. Faced with that clear diagnostic, the Dems could have done one of two things: 1) deny deny deny and
keep business as usual; 2) reconnect to the base and reconstruct a real people's party.

They chose #1.

Now they are paying the price of their inaction: in a striking development, neither of the two candidates currently trending in the Democrat primaries (Sanders and Bloomberg) is a bona fide member of the Democrat Party. This means that currently, close to a majority of Dem-leaning voters are voting or considering to vote for a non-Democrat or another in a Democrat primary process. And mind you, this is a fact, not an opinion from some aloof NYT or WAPO pundit.

This fact points to a failure of the Democrat party to capture and respond to their voters preoccupations.

Listen to the message, rather than shoot the disheveled messenger.

Brilliant diagnostic of what’s happening now.
Lash

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:51 pm
@blatham,
Black voters - en masse - don’t like Liz; they associate Biden with their first black president and they like what Bernie will do for them.

Liz just doesn’t resonate. Same with Pete and that sputtering Klob. Bloomberg is paying black people to overlook what he’s done to them—and it’s paying off so far.

This is a very sad indictment of America.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 01:55 pm
@Lash,
Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
... disheveled messenger.

From another board: If Bernie becomes the next president, who will take his place at the balcony of the Muppet Show? :-)