Olivier5

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:13 am
@snood,
Wasn't I clear enough? You have an issue with just one single Bernie follower, and you're trying to blame the rest of them for it.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:19 am
@blatham,
I believe it is more likely that Trump may commute Stone's sentence than pardon him entirely. It is also likely that Trump's recent actions on Blagojevich and Milken were a precursor. However I find your assertions above that you know the motivation for such action or that you know that Stone is a sociopath, or even that he has "something" on Trump to be laughably beyond your reach or ability to know. That you do so anyway devalues the rest of your comments here.
revelette3

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:20 am
Quote:
Another Gift to Sanders

Again, he isn’t the target in a debate.

They keep making the same tactical mistake.
The top Democratic candidates, with the exception of Bernie Sanders, continue to imagine that someone other than Sanders is the front-runner — and then they subject that faux front-runner to tough criticism. It happened again at last night’s debate, this time with Michael Bloomberg as the target.

Sanders came in for some criticism (especially from Pete Buttigieg), but nothing like the attacks on Bloomberg. Bloomberg was criticized for his attitude toward women, his policing policies as mayor of New York, his torrent of campaign spending and more.
It was a nastier version of the dynamic at previous debates. Before Bloomberg was the target, Buttigieg had been, in the final debate before the New Hampshire primary. Elizabeth Warren was the main target last fall, and Joe Biden was over the summer.

At those earlier points, to be fair, Sanders wasn’t the clear front-runner. But he is now. And thanks to the traffic jam of more moderate candidates — Bloomberg, Buttigieg, Biden and Amy Klobuchar — Sanders is in an enviable position. All the while, his rivals are strangely hesitant to attack him.

For more …

Sean Illing, Vox: “You could watch this entire debate and have no idea a lawless illiberal autocrat is currently in the White House. That can’t be great for the Democratic Party.”

Perry Bacon Jr., FiveThirtyEight: “Sanders benefited from Bloomberg being on stage. Sanders is the front-runner, but Bloomberg was the center of the debate. So Sanders did not get the crush of attacks a front-runner normally gets.” Abby Phillip, CNN: “Bernie Sanders is the Democratic front-runner right now. Very few people on that stage took shots at him. Not clear to me that anything happened tonight to blunt his momentum long term.”

Garrett Haake, MSNBC: “Warren is performing well … but so far she’s just shredded other non-Bernie candidates.” Tim Alberta, Politico: “The story of this debate is Elizabeth Warren eviscerating all of her rivals except the one who happens to be the frontrunner and also happens to be directly obstructing her path to the nomination.”

Megan McArdle, Washington Post: “Warren is by far the best and most articulate debater of this cycle. That she is nowhere near the front of the race tells you how much those particular verbal and cognitive skills are actually valued by most voters.” Judd Legum, Popular Information: “Warren’s dismantling of Bloomberg over his treatment of women was one of the most precise and devastating political attacks I have witnessed in 20 years of following this stuff.”
The Times Opinion panel thought Warren won the debate and Bloomberg lost it. My colleague Gail Collins: “Well, money can’t buy everything.”

On this week’s episode of “The Argument,” we talk about Bloomberg’s rise — and about what you can do to protect your digital privacy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/opinion/debate-bloomberg-sanders-democrats.html

I hesitate to guess, been wrong more than once this election season, but personally, I don't think Warren is going to gain much despite her good attacks. I think Bernie will. Undeservedly so in my opinion. I like him less as more time goes by. To me, he is such as grumpy old has been repeating the same song as though he thinks if he just says it with more emphasis this time, it will make a difference. It is as though he thinks anyone who has worked and managed to have made a success of themselves is bad evil people.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:22 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
And you think it means nothing, huh?
I didn't say it means (or demonstrates) nothing. I'm saying your assumptions on this are so simplistic as to be worth far less than you presume.
revelette3

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:24 am
@Olivier5,
This time it is Bloomberg who is actually more in that position. He is also getting pounced on (deservedly so) from everybody like Trump did in 2016. Bernie has continued to have gotten a pass.
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:26 am
@georgeob1,
"Sociopath" referred to Trump. Though it does fit Stone as well though less dramatically so. Do you know anything about this guy's past, george? If you did, you'd not be eager for him to take a dose of truth serum (if it worked) and start yakking. But yeah, the recent pardons, even if they have utility in promoting Trump's corrupt values, are partly motivated by cover for what he'll do with Stone.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:33 am
If you are sane and want to freak right out, read up on Grenell, the guy Trump has just put in charge of US intelligence.
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:35 am
Right now, Bloomberg is pumping out a fake video. Because, like Trump, he's a pathological ****.
hightor

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:36 am
@blatham,
Hey, I wanna know what you have against gay people. Mr. Green
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:38 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
If you are sane and want to freak right out, read up on Grenell, the guy Trump has just put in charge of US intelligence.
Well, most are pleased that he is out of view here!
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:41 am
Note: Crabb, who is standing in as prosecutor in the Stone case, has been challenged by the judge for his broad lack of knowledge of the case he's arguing. When he was asked by the judge who authored the second sentencing recommendation (which Crabb had signed) Crabb refused to answer. Why or why would he refuse? Such a mystery.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:41 am
@blatham,
Don't surprise me in the least. The best time right now for a terrorist attack.

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That made me laugh, Walter. I'm aware of his happy tenure with Germany. But you haven't lost him. He's going to hold both positions for the time being.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:42 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
...or even that he has "something" on Trump to be laughably beyond your reach or ability to know.

As a political "dirty trickster" who's been close to Trump for years — some people blame him for putting the idea of being president into Trump's head years ago — I'd be very surprised if Stone didn't know a lot of things about Trump that the president would very much like to remain hidden. Were Stone imprisoned for a long time I wouldn't put it past him to openly "suggest" that he might have something to tell.
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:45 am
@hightor,
An old grudge. I had to visit multiple Home Depots once to find any which still had recessed lighting in stock.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:45 am
@blatham,
I don't know anything about that, but, right now, I am mentally holding on as tight as I can to Biden hoping he can somehow manage to get back on top. If not, as sorry as I am to say it, probably vote for Bloomberg. I just can't vote Bernie in the primary when I don't believe he will actually accomplish anything. I will in the General if he should win.

Picture me holding up a shield to my face to avoid getting lobbed with rotten fruit on the thread after that awful admission.
blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:48 am
@revelette3,
I suspect the incompetence of so many around Trump is most advantageous to covert foreign players and home-based authoritarians with a zest for police-state arrangements rather than evil Muslims.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:52 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I'd be very surprised if Stone didn't know a lot of things about Trump that the president would very much like to remain hidden.
Yup. The obvious analogy is Michael Cohen. But Stone's history is so long and involves so many other dirty right wing operations, he is a particular danger of revealing skeletons if he were to find this advantageous.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 10:53 am
@revelette3,
Incoming!!!

I forgive you but I'll not join you walking that plank.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2020 11:20 am
Quote:
TIERNEY SNEED
12:11pm
Judge Berman Jackson brings up the consideration of the hardship her sentence will impose on Stone’s family.

The responsibility for that hardship “flows from the defendant’s conduct,” she says.

Could anything be more obvious than this?