oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 11:01 am
@MontereyJack,
And like I said, even if that speculation as to his motivation is true, he might not have been so eager to do that if you guys weren't already doing the same thing to him first.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 11:14 am
@snood,
I was responding to Revelette's reference to Trump's supposed "obsession with Biden and Hunter" - a clear reference to the Biden/Ukraine/personal corruption matter that is so closely related to the impeachment effort that has dominated media (of all persuasions) coverage for several months. My description of Trump's response to it as a normal reaction to a very serious political attack was entirely accurate.

You appear to be referring to the equally normal rhetoric that accompanies all political election disputes, particularly among the leading candidate of both contending parties. That certainly has been occurring between Trump and Biden , more or less as you described it, ever since 'ole Joe' announced his candidacy. However that was not the subject of either Revelette's comment or my response to it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 12:16 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

It's interesting — Sanders wouldn't be where he is today if the Democrats hadn't been saddled with HRC in '16. But I don't think the centrist wing of the party resents the fact that he challenged Clinton last time as much as they doubt his ability to win on a radical platform this time.

My concern about Sanders is his demonstrated incompetence. He's had a long and ineffective political career. If he'd demonstrated some skill at politics as well as demagoguery, I'd be more supportive.
Brand X

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 12:30 pm
Hamilton Nolan
@hamiltonnolan
·
3h
New: A huge list of Bernie supporters inside IBEW are asking the union to retract its Biden endorsement and take a member vote instead.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 12:37 pm
@oralloy,
Trump cast the first shade with his years of phony birterismand of course his repeated lies in business and his campaign. What is the correct response when someone spreads hundreds of lies.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 12:37 pm
Bloomberg team showing no mercy for The Bern.

Kevin Sheekey TEXT MIKE TO 80510
@ksheekey
· 3h
The opposition research on @BernieSanders could fill @realDonaldTrump’s empty Foxconn facility in Wisconsin.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 04:33 pm
https://hillreporter.com/worried-about-bernies-chances-in-swing-states-these-polls-should-ease-your-concerns-58538

Bernie polls winning swing states vs Trump.

Excerpt

Those concerns are legitimate for Democrats to voice out loud, in the sense that, for every candidate being considered by left-leaning voters (not just Sanders, but every Dem in the race) it must be asked: can this person defeat Trump?

But the concerns also seem to be misplaced. Three polls from three separate swing states show that Sanders actually defeats Trump head-to-head…

In Florida, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, Sanders currently polls ahead of the incumbent president.

Some of the polls are a bit older, but they showcase that Sanders has a strong chance nevertheless. A November poll out of Muhlenberg College, for example, reveals that Sanders has a 5-point lead against Trump, by a margin of 50 percent to 45 percent.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 05:39 pm
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1229428540027875329?s=21

Brother Cornel—as wonderful crazy animated as I’ve ever seen him—and boy, have I seen him.✌🏽🔥🌹❤️
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 05:48 pm
Elizabeth Warren
@ewarren
It’s a shame Mike Bloomberg can buy his way into the debate. But at least now primary voters curious about how each candidate will take on Donald Trump can get a live demonstration of how we each take on an egomaniac billionaire.
Lash

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 07:03 pm
@Brand X,
Bernie eats the billionaire—Wednesday at 9.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 07:25 pm
@Lash,
I wish there was a Democratic candidate who was good (or even just less-bad) on the Second Amendment.

I of course have the option of voting for Trump in the Republican primary, but I feel like my vote will be wasted if I don't try to steer the Democrats towards the best possible candidate.

But what do I do when all of the Democratic candidates are universally bad?

Sanders used to have a claim to being less bad, but he has repudiated his less-badness and now says that he is just as bad as all the others.

Maybe he is lying. Politicians are known to do that. But can I trust that he is lying?
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 07:33 pm
@oralloy,
The Democratic candidates have far too much sense to listen to you. They listen to the American people, who also have far too much sense to listen to your fantasy.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 07:35 pm
@oralloy,
If you go with Trump you don't have to question whether he is lying. You know with absolute certainty he is. About everything.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 07:47 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
If you go with Trump you don't have to question whether he is lying. You know with absolute certainty he is. About everything.

Not Russian collusion. Not building the wall. Not creating a booming economy. Not putting American citizens first. Not about kicking ass in the 2020 election.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 07:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
What fantasy? All I said was that I wish there was a Democratic candidate who wasn't so appalling on the Second Amendment.

It never fails that people who either support fascism or oppose civil liberties always make appeals to terms like "sense".
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:00 pm
@coldjoint,
He asked for Russian help. He got lots of it. close enough to collusion for anyone with any sense. He got his boondoggle of a wall, sort of, by raiding defense funds while kvetching about not supporting the military. He lie dabout Mexico playing for it. Our taxes are playing for it. He lied about it being unclimbable. It's not. The're building rebar laddrs and destroying it with $100 reciprocating saws. He lied about its being impregnablen The eckonomy is Obama's. Obama rebuilt it after the repubs under W. crashed the world's economy. Trump just came along when it was going full steam ahead and claimed credit that goes to Obama. Yeah, he lies about everything you say he doesn't. And everything else as well.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:16 pm
@MontereyJack,
That is incorrect. There was no collusion.

https://patcrosscartoons.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/645e4c95-8c7b-4ffa-97a2-c49aa800c088.jpeg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 01:24 am
@engineer,
Sanders is re-inventing US politics. The guy changed the democratic party for the better, single handedly, without even being a member... He has inspired a generation, organised a nation-wide movement and is pushing back against money in politics in an efficient way, thanks to small donations.

What did Biden ever achieve? Or Buttigieg, for that matter?
Brand X

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 05:22 am
Eoin Higgins
@EoinHiggins_
·
10h
Sanders campaign to request recount in several precincts in Iowa.

Recanvassing has reduced Buttigieg SDE lead by 97%(!!!).

Bernie camp believes the recount will give him the lead in delegates as well as votes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 06:01 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Sanders is re-inventing US politics. The guy changed the democratic party for the better, single handedly, without even being a member.
This is a highly romanticized version of what's happening. There's a high chance it's not merely romantic but delusional.

Sanders is "reinventing US politics" - It would be more accurate to say Trump has done so. It's also quite possible that it will apply to Bloomberg more than Sanders.

Sanders "changed the Democratic Party for the better". That will be true ONLY if he wins and ONLY if he can constitute or reconstitute the party. If he loses, he will have been a prime cause of the destruction of the party.