Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 05:30 am
Bloomberg is literally paying for the nomination. He’s the PERFECT foil for Bernie. Bloomberg is Trump on acid.

patricia shepard
@giizhigokwe01
·
6m
#jamescarvilleDNCHack another racist redneck Clinton supporter while he lives it up as an ultra-wealthy hack for CAP, the DNC and the Clinton's. #Bernie2020
Quote Tweet

Carlos Maza 🌹
@gaywonk
· Feb 12

Just found out James Carville -- who spends his time lecturing Democrats for being "too far left" -- lives in an absolutely obscene four story mansion and dear god can we STOP taking political advice from the ultra-wealthy.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 05:32 am
@Brand X,
We've all seen pictures of them golfing together. There are plenty more serious reasons to oppose Bloomberg. Some offhand comment made years before Trump was even considering running for office is actually pretty innocuous.
Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 05:41 am

Mary Ellen Giglio ✊🙌❄️☃️
@MEGVT78
·
3m
#Colorado #Denver
Quote Tweet

Ernest Lee Luning
@eluning
· 13h
Citing high demand for tickets, ⁦@BernieSanders⁩ campaign moves this weekend’s rally in downtown Denver to bigger venue, more than twice the capacity. Colorado voters are receiving mail ballots for #SuperTuesday primary this week. #copolitics https://coloradopolitics.com/quick-hits/sanders-campaign-moves-sunday-s-denver-rally-to-bigger-venue/article_86314488-4e87-11ea-8c1a-b761dfb2ec07.html
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 05:59 am
Woooohoooo!!!
————————
Walker Bragman
@WalkerBragman
·
5h
One of the biggest problems for the left is the lack of progressive infrastructure. For decades now, groups like CAP and EMILY's List have dominated that space with their brand of corporate liberalism.

That's changing.
Quote Tweet

Matriarch
@MatriarchOrg
· 6h
Women deserve better than organizations who pretend to work on their behalf while actually doing bidding for corporate politicians and wealthy donors.

Matriarch supports a work class progressive agenda for all women.

Help us prove our model to win
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 06:01 am
Media critic Carlos Maza decries Carville for his wealth — but Sanders supporters don't think twice about quoting the wealthy patrician Franklin Delano Roosevelt. I guess being a self-made millionaire — Bloomberg is another example — is evil but Trump's and FDR's inherited wealth is okay? But wait — Sanders is a self-made millionaire too! It might be a better idea to leave personal wealth out of the equation and concentrate on the policies being espoused and the ideas being promoted.
Brand X

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 06:17 am
@hightor,
Agreed. I posted it for context, then and now.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 07:02 am
@hightor,
As a Bernite, I have received very nasty comments from all manners of entitled centrists in 2016. I had to put Snood and Maporsche on ignore for a while to protect my peace of mind. Not you though; you've always been decent. But if you think only Bernie's supporters can behave as assholes, you're out of touch with reality.

Also, look at the positive of it: an army of veteran cyber warriors will come handy in the general, to beat the Trumpists on social media.
Brand X

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 07:24 am
'Ex-Goldman Sachs CEO rips Bernie Sanders: He’ll ruin our economy and doesn’t care about our military'

'Former Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd Blankfein has said Russia should back Bernie Sanders for president in order to “best screw up the U.S.”

Lloyd Blankfein
@lloydblankfein
·
Feb 11
If Dems go on to nominate Sanders, the Russians will have to reconsider who to work for to best screw up the US. Sanders is just as polarizing as Trump AND he’ll ruin our economy and doesn’t care about our military. If I’m Russian, I go with Sanders this time around.
snood

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 07:39 am
So will there be an apology to Warren forthcoming from Bernites who accused her of being an “incrementalist”?

AOC on likelihood of M4A getting passed: “The worst-case scenario? We compromise deeply and we end up getting a public option. Is that a nightmare? I don’t think so,” she said.

...“A president can’t just wave a magic wand and get anything they want passed”, AOC said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roadblock-bernie-sanders-congress-medicare-for-all_n_5e45ac30c5b6e095c6bcceb0
engineer

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 07:58 am
@Olivier5,
Sander's "cyber warriors" don't take on Trumpists on social media, they take on their true enemies, Democrats. Should Sanders get elected and his first proposals get a luke warm reception in Congress, team Sanders will not attack a single Republican to get their vote, they will go after Democrats much like the Republican twitterverse has to moderate Republicans.

Sanders is in many ways Jeremy Corbyn, he appeals to the same demographic, he supports many of the same policies. Like Sanders, Corbyn was an outsider of mediocre accomplishment who lead a revolt and took over a main political party. To my view, Corbyn has done extreme electoral damage to Labor. He has not implemented his policies and Labour has consistently lost ground politically. Don't get me wrong, I think Sanders will do as well against Trump as any of the other candidates, but revolutionaries make poor elected leaders.
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:09 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
You want Bernie to police twitter, Blat?
That's a silly framing which justifies any level of failure to set standards and directions.

I want Sanders to demonstrate that he is a leader capable of actually, you know, leading those who follow him. If he can't transmit his own ethos, if he cannot inspire his crowd to behave as he wishes them to behave, that does not speak well of his leadership skills.

And no, he does not have better things to do than to set such standards. That's not just a matter of political realities facing any Dem nominee (gaining maximal affinity and support from potential Dem voters) it is also a matter of refusing to rely on a Trumpian-style of Lock Her Up rabble rousing.
blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:14 am
@hightor,
Quote:
It might be a better idea to leave personal wealth out of the equation and concentrate on the policies being espoused and the ideas being promoted.
Yeah. Carville and wife are players in a modern political system which throws billions or trillions of dollars around. Anyone operating at that level with success become very wealthy. It is indeed an ugly situation but it is systemic, not in itself a matter of personal moral failure.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:16 am
@snood,
Good catch, snood. I do admire that woman. Her honesty and realism on this point is to be lauded.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:20 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
But if you think only Bernie's supporters can behave as assholes, you're out of touch with reality.

Point taken.

If I thought Sanders had a snowball's chance in hell of actually implementing his policies I would still be as critical of the self-righteous nature of his online supporters — some of them, you know, the "Sanders Brothers©". Their main goal seems to be driving as much of a wedge between the left and centrist factions of the Democratic Party as they possible can. Look, none of Sanders's "revolutionary" programs will be in place in 2022, should he win (which is doubtful). And sooner or later the economic expansion of the last eleven years is going to come to a crashing end. When that happens, the party in power will be turned out.

Of course, I could make a better argument if I thought any of the Democrats were any stronger or any better. (A few of them are younger!) But I think a less "radical" candidate would have an easier time cobbling together a winning coalition.

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:24 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Sander's "cyber warriors" don't take on Trumpists on social media, they take on their true enemies, Democrats. Should Sanders get elected and his first proposals get a luke warm reception in Congress, team Sanders will not attack a single Republican to get their vote, they will go after Democrats much like the Republican twitterverse has to moderate Republicans.

THAT is the destructive dynamic. And as I've been arguing for four long tortuous ******* years, it is a dynamic that is being facilitated and strengthened by bad faith actors both Republican and Russian - for reasons that are so obvious I continue to be astounded it isn't a first premise for everyone.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:25 am
@snood,
Quote:
...“A president can’t just wave a magic wand and get anything they want passed”, AOC said.

Wow — that's the first admission of political reality that I've seen from that side of the debate! Maybe Sanders will run as a liberal Democrat instead of social Democrat. That's what Krugman's getting at.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:34 am
By the way, we do now have a tweet from Trump re Barr's statement yesterday.
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
54m
“The President has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case.” A.G. Barr This doesn’t mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!

This is a very tricky dance these people are engaged in. Trump, of course, has to assert his alpha dominance as always. But this is as weak and belated an instance of it as I've seen.

As I noted yesterday, Dobbs on Fox did a rant on Barr as an instrument of the Deep State. They can do that a bit, to give cover for Trump, but they aren't going to go on a war footing and I can't see much more of it coming from the Fox dipshits.

Edit: I should note that what Dobbs did there does serve a particular purpose. The most damaging aspect of all this is the validated perception that Barr is turning the Department of Justice into a servile lapdog of an authoritarian tyrant. Dobb's rant can be understood, perhaps, as a distraction from that perception.
revelette3

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:37 am
@snood,
I think she has listened and learned and has grown wonderfully in her time of being a representative. Right on AOC.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:38 am
Quote:
The Modern GOP Is Built on Lies
In some ways Trump is more truthful than previous Republican presidents.
By Eric Alterman

After the Senate’s vote to keep Donald Trump from the Oval Office, House Judiciary Committee chair Jerrold Nadler told The New Yorker, “It never occurred to me that an American political party would degrade itself to an authoritarian political party where anything goes, no matter what…. I never thought an American political party could get as bad as now, where they completely don’t care how bad the crimes are.”

Nadler should have been paying more attention. Like him, many liberals, moderates, and of course, never-Trumpers continue to invest themselves in a narrative that posits that a once patriotic party dedicated to conservative principles and the rule of law was just recently corrupted by its fealty to the lies, lawlessness, and racism of its pathological president. Unfortunately, that’s a fiction...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 08:58 am
@engineer,
I totally disagree with your take on who is the enemy of whom. Many centrists have treated Bernie and his followers as the enemy. Now they're coming to regret it.

On Sanders'role as visionary vs. leader, if elected it's quite possible (given his age) that like Moses he will lead his people out of Pharaoh's rule and into the wilderness of change, but die before reaching the promised land.

In other words, Bernie could well win this election, do the good campaigning/organizing work needed to change the face of congress, start to win some state's assemblies and congressional seats, and then die before he can see any of his programmes implemented...

That would be sad in a personal way, but irrelevant politically. The important thing is to gird up your loins and start the journey.