georgeob1

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 12:24 pm
@blatham,
I take it from your somewhat (gasp!) prudish description above that you aren't an admirer of Mr. Stone.

The fact remains that the sentence recommended by the prosecutors is a good deal greater than the norms for these offenses.
blatham

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 12:34 pm
As we speak, televangelist Jim Bakker is pushing his health product "Silver Solution" which he claims kills the coronavirus and HIV.

I recommend all Republicans purchase this essential health product and drink quarts of it each day. Because I care. The Silver Solution Starter Kit is only $125. That includes two liquid bottles and two gel tubes plus bonus items. I'm not sure what the advanced or continuing kits run for but I'm sure they are priced as God would deem reasonable.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 12:49 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I take it from your somewhat (gasp!) prudish description above that you aren't an admirer of Mr. Stone.
As noted, his choice. But the moral relativism of how the Christian right respond to his sexuality is the important aspect. And that is just one more indicator of your party heading straight into the toilet.
Quote:
The fact remains that the sentence recommended by the prosecutors is a good deal greater than the norms for these offenses.
Oh really. That sentence falls within the federal sentencing guidelines. You get that, do you? So what "norms" are you speaking of? You know this how?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:02 pm
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· 29m
I’m seeing Governor Cuomo today at The White House. He must understand that National Security far exceeds politics. New York must stop all of its unnecessary lawsuits & harrassment, start cleaning itself up, and lowering taxes. Build relationships, but don’t bring Fredo!

And you can bet that Trump will insist that aid to NY State will be conditioned on dropping all lawsuits against him. Because that's how honest and ethical US presidents roll.

Law and order. It's a Republican thing.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:05 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Because that's how honest and ethical US presidents roll.

Honest and ethical are two things you should never talk about. Anyone with any sense will ignore that post.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:12 pm
Making Americans smarter. It's what Fox is all about.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQqDAEMW4AAxGR-?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQqDAEQXsAAht4V?format=jpg&name=small
coldjoint

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:20 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Making Americans smarter.

Something you do not have a chance of doing. We can all read Twitter and watch MSNBC, your propaganda is the same.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:26 pm
Sarah Huckabee Sanders in 2017 to reporters
Quote:
“If you want to go after General Kelly, that’s up to you,” she said. “If you want to get into a debate with the four-star Marine general, I think that’s something highly inappropriate. Go ahead.”
link

One assumes this formulation is no longer operational and that it is now quite fine to **** on a four-star Marine general. Because consistency, honesty, integrity, etc.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:35 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Because consistency, honesty, integrity, etc.

You missed everyone of those trains. Your input on such matters is ludicrous.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:11 pm
Trump: If Romney Was Truly Religious, He’d Have Supported Both Impeachment Articles, Not Just One

One of my favorite things is Trump trying to denigrate absolutely anyone for insufficient or inconsistent religiosity. It's like a sumo wrestler insisting Fred Astaire was ungraceful and a poor dancer.
oralloy

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:13 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
The New York Times has a striking report on the developments and the degree to which Trump's actions defy American norms -- especially in the post-Watergate era -- and represent "ground-shaking conduct" that has demolished "once-sacrosanct guardrails." But of particular interest was the reporting on the chilling effect taking root at the DOJ. The Times spoke with more than a dozen career lawyers in U.S. attorney's offices, and found prosecutors who "raised new fears of what is to come" and "worried they might face more pressure."...Benen

People who work for the President have to do what he tells them to do.

If these deep state clowns can't cope with doing what they are told, they need to quit their government jobs and go do something else for a living.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:14 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
"There need to be mass protests," a Yale philosophy professor and expert on fascism told Insider. "The Republican Party is betraying democracy, and these are historical times. Someone has got to push back."

Your "I think what that guy thinks" game certainly references a loony cast of characters.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:14 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
One of my favorite things is Trump trying to denigrate absolutely anyone for insufficient or inconsistent religiosity.

Then why didn't you write the article you are sourcing?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:15 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Pundits this side of the pond say the dems screw up in Iowa raised Trump's reelection chances significantly.

Really? How so?

I thought it was a great opportunity to poke fun at my progressive frenemies for a day, but I think it'll all be long forgotten by election day.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 04:01 pm
'The ADC is the Alabama Democratic Party’s largest black caucus. The endorsement comes after Bloomberg gave the keynote speech at the conference’s 60th annual convention on Saturday.'

https://www.al.com/politics/2020/02/alabama-democratic-conference-backs-bloomberg-for-president.html
revelette3

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 04:26 pm
@Brand X,
I am pleasantly surprised.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 04:46 pm
@Olivier5,
Much to the DNC and media's chagrin Bernie keeps plummeting to first place.
Lash

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 04:57 pm
@Brand X,
Can we get a look at their new bank balance?
blatham

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 05:01 pm
Quote:
Jason Campbell
@JasonSCampbell
· 5m
Dennis Prager complains "the Left has made it impossible to say the N-word any longer," adding "It is idiotic you cannot say the N-word. Idiotic"

He really, really wants to say the n-word. He really wants to. I sort of know what he's feeling as I very much wish to label Prager as a ****.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2020 05:48 pm
Quote:
John Kelly just validated the argument that got Trump impeached

Quote:
Although Trump has long insisted that his call to Zelensky was “perfect,” Kelly made clear that Trump indeed conditioned military aid on Zelensky’s help digging up dirt on the Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.
That amounted to a momentous change in U.S. policy toward Ukraine — one that Vindman was right to flag, because other federal agencies needed to know about the shift, Kelly said.

“Through the Obama administration up until that phone call, the policy of the U.S. was militarily to support Ukraine in their defensive fight against … the Russians,” Kelly said. “And so, when the president said that continued support would be based on X, that essentially changed. And that’s what that guy [Vindman] was most interested in.”

When Vindman heard the president tell Zelensky he wanted to see the Biden family investigated, that was tantamount to hearing “an illegal order,” Kelly said. “We teach them, ‘Don’t follow an illegal order. And if you’re ever given one, you’ll raise it to whoever gives it to you that this is an illegal order, and then tell your boss.’”

Note that Kelly is flatly agreeing that Trump conditioned official acts — in particular, hundreds of millions of dollars in military aid to Ukraine — on getting the Ukrainian president to carry out his dirty political deeds, and implicitly agreeing that U.S. policy was subverted to this end, in a way that abandoned an ally at a moment of extreme vulnerability.

What’s more, Kelly isn’t merely defending Vindman by claiming Trump shouldn’t have ousted him out of revenge, which is an easy position to take. Kelly also is standing by Vindman’s decision to report what he heard, in defiance of the president, on the grounds that he had witnessed wrongdoing...
Greg Sargent

As Greg notes, Kelly was Trump's Chief of Staff for two years. He knows how Trump operates because he saw it up close over those two years. Trump and allies are pushing the "disgruntled former employee" because... they always do that. It's the primary propaganda line in any such circumstance.

One of the most obvious aspects to Trump's rhetorical behavior re staff is:

1) I pick the best people
2) I fire the worst people

Of course, they are the same people. But by all means, my Republican friends, do continue to deny that this guy is a sociopath. You'll sleep better. For a while yet, anyway.

0 Replies