coldjoint

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 02:16 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
Meryl Streep slams Walt Disney as racist, anti-Semitic

She is one of the people progressives listen to.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/meryl-streep-slams-walt-disney-as-racist-antisemitic/
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 03:45 pm
@BillW,
Is that sarcasm? It has to be. I love Disney Movies, but it wasn't until these latter years that they have become a bit, tiny bit, diverse. My bi-racial granddaughter used to wouldn't buy a Disney doll unless it was blonde and blue eyed. Now, she looks for dolls more like her since they came out with LOL Surprise Dolls (I got Microsoft edge, can't really do images) and they're cool.
BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 03:57 pm
@revelette3,
It is quite true, along with many, many others. The only thing that can be said in his, and a lot of the others behave is it was the times. And, to my knowledge, he didn't go out at midnight in white sheets.

I'm from the south going back to the 1600's and we have learned to live with the sudden realizations. Some of us file it as the past, some (unfortunately - too many) still live with it.

Don't let it interfere with your love; however, I can never view them the same again.
revelette3

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 04:48 pm
@BillW,
I guess I don't. As matter of fact, me, my granddaughters and grandnieces went to watch Frozen Two the other day. It was great. I think it was better than the first one. I always watch Disney movies with them. But then again, I still watch Gone with the Wind and you can't get more racist than that movie. I hope it don't mean anything. It's just I grew up on that movie with all my aunts (have quite a few.)
BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 05:15 pm
@revelette3,
rev, we can't let the sins of the fathers dictate the views of the sons. I think this should apply to Industry also. With that said, I have never seen evidence that Walt even propagated racist or misogynistic ideas. I know my ggrandfather was in the KKK, but don't know of any bad acts from him. It hurt when I confirmed it, but most Confederate War veterans in NE Texas in the 1920's were. I don't adhere to any racist ideology, I abhor it!

BTW, I grew up on those movies also; and loved them. But, why were black stereotypes used to portray negative characters so often in the films?
Lash

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 06:06 pm
It appears Iran has hit an Iraqi base housing Americans. Looks like it has escalated.
blatham

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:07 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
With that said, I have never seen evidence that Walt even propagated racist or misogynistic ideas.
Nor have I and I studied the man's work in some depth years ago. Like all of us, he was a product of the culture he grew up in but I never found any information which would suggest he was either of those two things.

As to Sleepy Hollow, Disney merely took Irving's story and had his illustrators develop the characters' appearances as a means of enhancing the story-telling (which was always a feature of his genius as it is with John Lasseter).

The trickier one, perhaps, is Song of the South. But I think the criticisms are understandable but un-serious as is the case with Tom Sawyer or Porgy and Bess.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:21 pm
@Lash,
Looked for a scary emoticon, consider me scared. I don't know any good that is going to come of all this.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:21 pm
@Lash,
'America first' was another lie.
revelette3

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:28 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
But, why were black stereotypes used to portray negative characters so often in the films?

I don't know about in northern movies, but usually any southern type movie had stereotypes peppered through out. I guess cause like you said, it was a sign of the times which lasted a long time after the civil rights movement. However, in this generation, of my grandkids and their friends, I see a lot of improvement.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:35 pm
@Brand X,
Another big shot ready to throw 18 and 19 year kids into the meat grinder because he knows they won't make the president pick up a gun. They couldent make him pick up one during the Vietnam police action, and he sure as hell won't in this police action.
BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:38 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

I see a lot of improvement.

For sure, for sure!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:44 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Another big shot ready to throw 18 and 19 year kids into the meat grinder

Actually it's usually only progressives who want to force people to enter the military against their will.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 11:47 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Actually it's usually only progressives who want to force people to enter the military against their will.
Conservatives supported those who refused conscription?
oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 11:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
We've not had active conscription for many years. And I've not heard any conservatives call for resuming it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 01:44 am
@revelette3,
Gone with the Wind is not racist, or at any rate, far less so than any western or Tarzan movie of the times.
BillW

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 01:57 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Gone with the Wind is not racist, or at any rate, far less so than any western or Tarzan movie of the times.

Olly, you just hit the nail on the head in such a simple way:
Quote:
 is not racist, or at any rate, far less so than

It just makes my head spin sometimes - I stop trying to defend or indict. It is true though, what is - is.

"Birth of a Nation" was once defended on these grounds; however, watch it sometime. It is explicit racism; however (knew that was coming, right?), it was a masterpiece picture developing some of the early director and actor techniques. What is - is.
snood

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 04:07 am
These arguments about things or people not being racist “for the times” are specious. The knowledge existed that slavery was evil during the time we were enslaved. Thad had to recently be pointed out to Pete Buttigieg, who was saying how unfortunate it was that the founders were ignorant of the fact that enslaving people was wrong.

King said in his Letters From a Birmingham Jail that oppressors never think it is the right time for change; that freedom is never given by the oppresser - it must be demanded by the oppressed. He was addressing all those “Christians” at the time who kept exhorting him to wait for “the right time”.
Lash

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 06:23 am
King said in his Letters From a Birmingham Jail that oppressors never think it is the right time for change; that freedom is never given by the oppresser - it must be demanded by the oppressed. He was addressing all those “Christians” at the time who kept exhorting him to wait for “the right time”.
——————————
Finally.

We’re grossly overdue for the changes he was advocating.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 07:11 am
@snood,
Quote:
These arguments about things or people not being racist “for the times” are specious.
It would be foolish to say that anti-Semitism in Europe in the first half of the last century wasn't anti-Semitism on the basis that such sentiments were common in the time and place. We have to say that, for example, Jack Benny's show featuring Rochester, maintained classic racist tropes. And that would be true for Porgy and Bess as well.

But does it follow then that any staging of Porgy adds to the problem?