edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 01:04 pm
Robert Reich
15 mins ·
Another mass shooting in America. More innocent people gunned down in their community. This time blood stains the floor of a synagogue in Pittsburgh, where at least 8 people are reported dead. The shooting is being investigated as a hate crime.

The Second Amendment was never intended for someone who believes "all Jews must die" to walk into a synagogue with an AR-15, shoot up a crowd of men, women, and children within minutes, and then open fire on police.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 10:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Death toll reached 11 people this evening.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 10:34 pm
@glitterbag,
It's Gun Rage, the equivalent of Road Rage. Got to get some gun control in effect. The rage behind it all may never die, but they should not have such a power over who is going to be murdered next like that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 09:24 am
October 26, 2018
Paul Jay says US policy in the Middle East is not aimed at defending national security, but is primarily driven by the interests of arms and fossil fuel industries – From a live recording on October 16th, 2018

https://therealnews.com/stories/the-us-loves-dictators-and-volatility-in-the-middle-east-qa-pt-5-6?fbclid=IwAR3wc2RDIJT1hlL15q8eLyBSsrk6OAgL-PrcMMGZU0YEnFVLHLHbRH9_A2g
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 10:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Trump thinks the solution is the put armed security guards inside of religious buildings. I guess we have come to that in our country.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 11:36 am
@revelette1,
Lots of people thought the same thing before Trump was there to say it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 04:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

maporsche wrote:
I find these 'causes' to be much more believable than someone hacking into 10,000 different polling places who get thousands of voters each and we get 1 or 2 examples of something going wrong.

I'd go with your way of thinking if there weren't so many reports of problems - with equipment that has been found problematic for a couple
of cycles .

Thing is, I have never seen an instance where a Republican made the same complaint.
maporsche

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 05:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

maporsche wrote:
I find these 'causes' to be much more believable than someone hacking into 10,000 different polling places who get thousands of voters each and we get 1 or 2 examples of something going wrong.

I'd go with your way of thinking if there weren't so many reports of problems - with equipment that has been found problematic for a couple
of cycles .

Thing is, I have never seen an instance where a Republican made the same complaint.

YOU HAVEN'T?!?!?!?!?!

Seriously?

Getting really lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN99yddAg5o
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/11/08/some-problems-reported-as-voters-head-to-polls/
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/machine-voting-pens-switching-votes/
https://wgntv.com/2016/11/08/pennsylvania-voters-claim-voting-machines-changing-ballots/

You know what really doesn't make any sense?
How so many idiotic voters had their machines set to vote for Jill Stein...
maporsche

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 05:44 pm
@maporsche,
You must not have been here on 11/08/2016 when Trump supporters, expecting he would lose, had many tweets and comments about vote switching.

Now we have Beto supporters, expecting he will lose, doing the same.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 09:02 am
https://www.txdemocrats.org/media/breaking-texas-secretary-of-state-office-knew-and-did-nothing-about-hart-e-voting-machine-malfunctions/?fbclid=IwAR3pheppU5YFILA0CgGQVchlqj34CIj8hugZrSmMebxXaPP8DY529pf08wU

BREAKING: Texas Secretary of State Office Knew and Did Nothing About HART-E Voting Machine Malfunctions

Austin, TX— This evening, ABC13 Houston reported that the Texas Secretary of State and election administrators knew about voting machine malfunctions for years and refused to do anything about it.

The malfunction can lead to straight-ticket Democratic voters casting a ballot for Republican Sen. Ted Cruz if they don’t review and correct their ballot before pressing the red cast button.

Highlights:

Ft. Bend County Election Administrator John Oldham said, “he’s talked to the Secretary of State more than once about the problem. It has not been fixed aside from signs provided by the Secretary of State to warn voters to check their selections.”
“Sam Taylor, at the Texas Secretary of State’s office, tells 13 Investigates the problem is “user error” and not something their office could fix. Taylor suggests a vendor could or should handle any upgrades, but the state has not asked vendors to do so.”
Read the full story

Texas Democratic Party Chair Gilberto Hinojosa issued the following statement:

“The first step in solving a problem is recognizing that you have one. And the Texas Secretary of State’s office has one. This is not a new problem, their office knew about potential flaws in their voting machines and chose to ignore them for years.

“Instead of owning up to their mistake, Texas’ Republican government blamed voters and did nothing.

“The Texas Democratic Party demands the Texas Secretary of State take responsibility for their failures and immediately take action to inform voters to double-check their ballots.”

Actions the Texas Secretary of State could take right now to inform voters:

Launch a statewide public service announcement to inform voters on broadcast and cable television in multiple languages.
Launch a comprehensive voter information program in multiple languages through radio, digital, and print advertisements.
Train poll workers to verbally remind voters to double-check their ballot.
Post additional signs reminding voters to check their ballots before submitting.
Log all instances of machine malfunction.
Remove malfunctioning machines.
maporsche

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 09:27 am
@edgarblythe,
From a link in the article you cited.

Quote:
In Texas, a handful of voters in at least three counties reported that they had selected straight Republican tickets, only to have Clinton/Kaine pop up instead of Trump/Pence. Local election officials blamed user error and said there was nothing wrong with the machines. There were similar reports in Clark County, Nev.

That led some groups worried about vote-rigging to take to social media to warn voters to ask for paper ballots instead of using touch-screen machines.

"I knew this election would be stolen," read one comment on Breitbart.com, a conservative website that until recently was run by Donald Trump's campaign manager, Stephen Bannon. "People need to go to jail for this crap," read another.

Now you can't claim with any credibility, that you've never heard republicans complaining about 'vote switching'.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 09:28 am
@edgarblythe,
And the article doesn't describe any of these malfunctions at all, which is suspicious.

What do you think these machines are doing edgar?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 10:47 am
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/theres-something-suspicious-going-on-with-georgias-voting-machines/
There’s Something Suspicious Going On With Georgia’s Voting Machines

The Georgia governor’s race is in a deadlock, according to CNBC News, with Democrat Stacey Abrams and Republican Brian Kemp each polling at 47 percent as of Wednesday. In such a tight race, every vote will count, but voting rights advocates are raising the alarm over reports of voter suppression.

As Michael Harriot reports in The Root, the NAACP Georgia State Conference has filed complaints with the state Board of Elections over alleged voter suppression tactics. According to Harriot, voters have complained to the NAACP of multiple irregularities, including vote switching (usually from Democrat to Republican) and malfunctioning touchscreens.

Harriot writes that “NAACP Georgia State Conference president Phyllis T. Blake filed complaints with Georgia’s State Board [of] Elections after early voters and eyewitnesses in Bartow, Cobb, Henry, and Dodge County, Ga., notified the civil rights organization of the defective machines.”

Khyla Craine, the NAACP’s assistant general counsel, told The Root that “we’ve seen issues across the state of Georgia, and not just the Atlanta Metroplex. … We’ve seen this in central Georgia and have seen issues in southeastern Georgia, near Savannah.”

The machines are 17 years old and, as Harriot points out, Georgia “is one of five U.S. states whose voting machines have no paper trail, making them the most vulnerable to hacking, according to cybersecurity experts.”

Voting irregularities and potential voter suppression, however, are not limited to the machines:

Craine said that many Georgia voters who have requested or cast absentee ballots have been unable to track them using the Secretary of State’s “My Voter” page.

When a potential voter requests an absentee ballot, the voter is supposed to be able to enter their information on the Secretary of State’s website and see the status of their vote. Craine notes one specific incident in Candler County, Ga., where the county election official wasn’t even aware that they were supposed to input the information into the system.

All of this is “a very real threat” to election security, Robert DeMillo, a professor of computing at Georgia Institute of Technology and former chief technology officer at Hewlett-Packard, told The Root.

The NAACP says this is not the first time Georgia’s voting laws have come under fire in recent weeks. As CNBC reports, voting rights advocates have already raised the alarm over Kemp’s decision (he’s also the Georgia secretary of state) to remove the names of more than 100,000 people who hadn’t voted in recent elections from the voter rolls, and to delay the registrations of an additional 53,000 people, mostly black people, because of his state’s “exact match” rule, which requires voter registration applications to match those of driver’s licenses or Social Security data.

While the Georgia NAACP awaits an answer to its complaint, it is continuing trainings on voting rights—with partner organization Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law—for community groups, poll workers and elected officials.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2018 08:17 pm
Senator Bernie Sanders rally for Ben Jealous, candidate for Maryland's governor. Sanders says Republicans are working overtime all across the country to suppress votes because they are scared to death.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 07:10 am
Tim Canova
We’re in a dead heat with Wasserman Schultz in a race to the finish. Throughout the district, a groundswell of support across the political spectrum. Democrats & Republicans alike hungering for change, tired of the corruption & poisonous partisan divides.
maporsche

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 07:46 am
@edgarblythe,
I’m sure that electing far left candidates will heal the partisan divides.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 11:00 am
Georgia might be interesting to watch on Nov. 6. If a huge black turn-out comes after Oprah stumped for Stacey Abrams, it will be a win in my book even if we (democrats) don't do as well in the House as expected. (I think we will, but then you never really know.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 12:18 pm
New York Times

U.S. and Britain Seek Yemen Cease-Fire as Relations With Saudis Cool

I don't have the vocabulary to say how I feel about our role in wars such as this.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 02:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Canova putting that POS out of business would make my week. (fingers crossed)
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 02:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Tim Canova
We’re in a dead heat with Wasserman Schultz in a race to the finish. Throughout the district, a groundswell of support across the political spectrum. Democrats & Republicans alike hungering for change, tired of the corruption & poisonous partisan divides.

I didn't realize that this guy was trying to split the left of center vote. That's discouraging given the possible consequences.

Some people (you maybe) would be calling it treasonous if Joe Crowley did something like that to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in New York.

In fact, I think there was a rumor along these lines and you may have posted one of those "great" Young Turks videos about it.