edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2018 10:08 am
Just seen on Twitter

eAhhhhhh! 😱 McElrath

@leahmcelrath
15h15 hours ago
More
I chose the “straight ticket” option for the Democratic Party on the first screen.

Once I toggled through the 16+ page ballot and reached the final screen to review my choices, I saw that my vote for @BetoORourke had been changed to a vote for Ted Cruz.

Photo below.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2018 04:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why he doesn't think Megyn Kelly should have been fired
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2018 05:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
I just saw the same thing elsewhere - more than a bit disturbing.

It certainly is the upside to smart phones with good cameras.
maporsche

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2018 05:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why should we care what he thinks?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 07:12 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I just saw a man on local TV, an 'expert' who says the machines do exactly what you tell them to. He claims it's the voters' mistakes causing votes to go awry.
maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 08:49 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

I just saw a man on local TV, an 'expert' who says the machines do exactly what you tell them to. He claims it's the voters' mistakes causing votes to go awry.

I do think that the most likely cause of most of these issues is user error.

I find these 'causes' to be much more believable than someone hacking into 10,000 different polling places who get thousands of voters each and we get 1 or 2 examples of something going wrong.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 09:16 am
AJ+

@ajplus
Follow Follow @ajplus
More
Texas election officials confirmed that voting machines used in 30% of its counties (including its biggest) are switching people’s votes, including the Senate race between Ted Cruz and Beto O’Rourke. The GOP-appointed officials say they have "no legal authority" to update them.
maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 09:17 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

I do think that the most likely cause of most of these issues is user error.

I find these 'causes' to be much more believable than someone hacking into 10,000 different polling places who get thousands of voters each and we get 1 or 2 examples of something going wrong.

This article mentions that the voting machines being used in this Texas district require the voter to manipulate a scroll wheel AND the enter button at the same time. Seems like a shitty design, and one that is ripe for user error (which is probably what happened here.

Article metioning the Beto ballot.
https://www.gq.com/story/texas-voting-machines-cruz-orourke

Article linked to from GQ article that details the voting machines. Take a look at this; it'd be SUPER easy to **** the process up.
https://www.verifiedvoting.org/resources/voting-equipment/hart-intercivic/eslate/

Also, there will be people who do this on purpose for the sole reason of getting a bit of 'fame' or two pursue an agenda.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 09:20 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'd go with your way of thinking if there weren't so many reports of problems - with equipment that has been found problematic for a couple of cycles .
maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 09:20 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

AJ+

@ajplus
Follow Follow @ajplus
More
Texas election officials confirmed that voting machines used in 30% of its counties (including its biggest) are switching people’s votes, including the Senate race between Ted Cruz and Beto O’Rourke. The GOP-appointed officials say they have "no legal authority" to update them.

Please do some fact checking and post an article or something. I searched for this and couldn't find anything along these lines. Doesn't help that who ever AJ is didn't provide any details.

You're getting lazy.

Here's an article with elections officials saying the opposite of what you're saying.
https://abc13.com/politics/voting-machine-anxiety/4561705/
maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 09:23 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

maporsche wrote:

I'd go with your way of thinking if there weren't so many reports of problems - with equipment that has been found problematic for a couple of cycles .

I think the equipment can be poorly designed, but from a software perspective, these are not complicated machines with millions of lines of code where glitches could accidentally happen.

At least not very likely.

These machines are 20 years old in Texas; they are poorly designed (look at the link I gave).

People make mistakes and especially older people and technology.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 09:43 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Please do some fact checking and post an article or something.

aj+ is the youth subsite of al jazeera english

many aj+ reference materials can be found at the main site (not all as they are a news amalgamater)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 09:45 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

it's young people with smartphones who are reporting/recording the problems - and have for a couple of cycles now.

there are a couple of twitter accounts that have been reporting the deep dives into this for at least three years now. it's disturbing that Republican officials say that they are unable to make any changes. mmmm perhaps don't want to make the changes.
maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 09:48 am
@ehBeth,
The woman who posted the picture in the GQ article doesn't appear to be a young person.

Regardless, aside from the designs of these machines looking like something from a generation ago (cause they are) I'm not buying these charges of vote switching at a software level.

These machines print out paper trails and allow you to correct the ballot up to 3 times.

Not worried.
maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 09:52 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

maporsche wrote:

it's young people with smartphones who are reporting/recording the problems - and have for a couple of cycles now.

From edgars post.

This woman also claims to be a political activist on her twitter account, which only leads to the possibility that she'd have a motive maybe less than honest about reporting something like this nationally.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/827279308481720323/pDNDBBDt_400x400.jpg

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 10:10 am
@maporsche,
I don't really care about one person and one person's report. I look at the larger mass of reports and read about the investigations of the fucked-up machines. It's not like this is new. What is new is the ability of people to report the problems accurately- thank you to good smartphone use.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 10:12 am
@maporsche,
Part of Ontario moved to electronic voting recently. In the municipal elections last week, they had to give up in some cities and allow voting for an extra day - and have ballots printed. I'm glad we didn't switch here. Paper + scanning seems to still be best.
maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 10:15 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I don't really care about one person and one person's report. I look at the larger mass of reports and read about the investigations of the fucked-up machines. It's not like this is new. What is new is the ability of people to report the problems accurately- thank you to good smartphone use.

This is the part that I don't necessarily agree with.

I am inclined to believe that these people made mistakes on their ballots (especially using the machines in Texas).

I'm not sure they're reporting accurately at all.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 10:17 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Part of Ontario moved to electronic voting recently. In the municipal elections last week, they had to give up in some cities and allow voting for an extra day - and have ballots printed. I'm glad we didn't switch here. Paper + scanning seems to still be best.

I'm a fan of the electronic machines. I specifically like the ones that have paper trails or receipts though. I do wish they'd improve on some of these designs.

Turns out, even with paper ballots - people STILL made mistakes. Hard to believe that people aren't infallible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 12:06 pm
The machines have always been a problem. I wouldn't mind using them so much if they left a paper trail. It's just as easy for me to drive down and vote as it is to get registered to vote by mail, because I don't trust our mailman, so drive just as far to the post office.
0 Replies