Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 02:07 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

As usual you said nothing. Anybody can say, "you are wrong." Wrong in what way and can you prove I am wrong about what? Wrong that you are grumpy? Pretty self evident. Wrong in that one of the issue which may be holding Buttigieg back is his open same sex marriage?

You are wrong that I am "grumpy," unless not suffering foolishness can be defined as "grumpy"

I'm often quite lighthearted in my replies, although, I will admit, seldom with you. The sincerity of your foolishness is disappointing.

You seem to have latched on to Mayor Pete and you want everyone on your side of the aisle to join you. That they are not, in your view, can only be explained by his sexual orientation. This is foolish for someone as sincere as you. It would be cynical and calculated in so many others here.

Considering he is a young man who no one ever heard of before this race, he is doing amazingly well. To suggest that Democrats who intend to vote in the primaries are holding his orientation against him is a simplistic dodge.

revelette3

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 02:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I suppose I missed your light hearted replies to others who you consider not foolish.

I didn't say his sexual preference was the only reason he is not doing better in the polls. I said his open marriage might be an issue. A lot older folks who are democrats, just might not be ready to see a man kiss a man in the WH. However, I agree he is not well known, nor does he have a lot of experience.
snood

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 03:43 pm
@revelette3,
You didn’t miss anything. Light-hearted? Finn enjoys proving he’s a miserable hectoring ass on every possible occasion. Disagreeing, to Finn
is indistinguishable from being disagreeable. Not long ago he was threatening to leave this forum forever. He said it was because the left wing/ liberal / progressive contingent here wanted only to communicate with those who shared their views, and were unfair to anyone (him) who wouldn’t participate in their echo chamber.
The truth was that karma was revisiting the intensity and quantity of his nastiness to him and it hurt his bully-snowflake feelings. So he was gonna take his oily smears and go home. I heartily encouraged his retreat, but as you can see, he never left but stayed to continue to share his misery with you and me and everyone else who doesn’t buy into his malodorous, self-important line of crap.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 06:14 pm
@snood,
Quote:
he never left but stayed to continue to share his misery with you and me and everyone else who doesn’t buy into his malodorous, self-important line of crap.

I like him. He has always been civil, seemingly non judgemental kind of guy. But if he is miserable he should fit right in with Democrats. Feeling miserable is a platform for the DNC. I thought Democrats stick together.

Maybe you have spoken too soon.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 06:20 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
The truth was that karma was revisiting the intensity and quantity of his nastiness to him and it hurt his bully-snowflake feelings.

Nonsense. Finn dAbuzz is hardly nasty.

Most progressives are nasty for one reason only. Most progressives are nasty because most progressives are nasty.

Progressive nastiness is not due to any conservative actions. It's just the sort of people that most progressives are.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 06:31 pm
@oralloy,
the usual name-calling nonsense.
oralloy

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 06:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
Pointing out the reality that your bad behavior comes from you (and is not the fault of people who disagree with you) is hardly name-calling.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 06:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
the usual name-calling nonsense.

You do not have to worry about being accused of originality. One name you can't be called.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 07:23 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
I am more interested in the match-up's between any democrat candidate and Trump in the swing states which matter in the electoral vote. Do you have stats on that?

1. I have on occasions seen poll data of specific democrats matched up against Trump in the swing states.

2. I will have to research to see if I can find any of those reports or poll data.

3. The thing about any poll data is that they are only a snapshot in time.

4. Polls are forever changing and fluctuating.

5. If I do find any poll data of democrats matched up against Trump in the swing states, I will post it.

6. If I find anything, I will also provide the source and the date of the poll.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 07:30 pm
Now Deval Patrick might run. Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 08:55 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
As you can clearly see, he's a Republican, possibly even a Fascist — clearly the most reactionary candidate the country has seen in some time.
You centrists think you're so damned funny.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 09:09 pm
@revelette3,
In your reply to finn you wrote:
Quote:
I said his open marriage might be an issue.
538 has a good piece up on American voters' feelings on a gay president. I'll just post a graph and sentence here but the full piece is well worth reading.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/atd-buttigieg-sexuality-EDIT.png?w=575

Quote:
But there are still pockets of the Democratic electorate where voters’ views of gay people aren’t as liberal.
Link Here

So your suspicion could actually be voiced more robustly. For some Dems (and certainly for a greater number of Republicans) homosexuality definitely remains a factor even while Americans' views on this continue to change.

coldjoint

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2019 09:26 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
538 has a good piece up on American voters' feelings on a gay president.

Is it because they are gay or because they are qualified? Gay is the answer and the guilt inflicted on the public can only be purged with identity politics. They really saw you people coming and the manipulation of emotion is down to a science.
hightor

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 07:52 am
A Website Co-founded by Facebook News Boss Campbell Brown Is Attacking Elizabeth Warren

Quote:
A news organization co-founded by the boss of Facebook News has criticized Democratic presidential hopeful Elizabeth Warren, a new report revealed.

Campbell Brown, a former correspondent at NBC News, joined Facebook in 2017, and was instrumental in developing The 74 in 2015, serving as editor-in-chief until recently. As Popular Information reports, the outlet has published numerous pieces attacking Warren in 2019. One opinion piece called her "the second coming of Karl Marx."

In a statement, a spokesperson for Facebook said: "The 74 is not part of Facebook News. Campbell's work with The 74 is well-known and she's been transparent about her role with the nonprofit for many years."

Facebook and Warren have clashed repeatedly in the last several months after the senator from Massachusetts said she would break up "Big Tech" firms—companies with over $25 billion in revenue, by her definition—and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has not minced his words in responding.

In audio from a Facebook meeting that was leaked last month, Zuckerberg said he would sue an Elizabeth Warren administration if she succeeded in reaching the White House, adding that if his company were threatened, "you go to the mat and you fight."

In 2019, Zuckerberg donated $600,000 to The 74.

Facebook has faced criticism after it was revealed that Zuckerberg met with conservative leaders in 2016, and the decision to include the controversial publications Breitbart and The Daily Caller in the list of trusted Facebook News sources also provoked criticism.

In the new report, The 74's links to Republican Education Secretary Betsy DeVos were also disclosed.

Brown served on the board of The American Federation for Children (AFC), a non-profit that DeVos founded and chaired, and later, DeVos—whom Brown calls a "friend"—provided a two-year grant through her family foundation to help launch The 74.

Newsweek has contacted Sen. Warren for comment.

newsweek
Brand X

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 07:59 am
Ironically, Zuck and Mayor Pete are big pals.
hightor

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 08:04 am
@Brand X,
I know that Zuck's recommended some people to Buttigieg who he's hired but I haven't read that the two of them are "big pals" — can you cite some source that would confirm an active friendship between them?
blatham

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 08:15 am
@hightor,
I think Aaron Sorkin is not in the least surprised to watch Zuckerberg behaving as he is.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 08:23 am
@hightor,
Zuck denies endorsement but the actions of he and his wife seem to suggest otherwise. I just meant all indications Zuck is on board with his election efforts.
Real Music

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 08:56 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
I am more interested in the match-up's between any democrat candidate and Trump in the swing states which matter in the electoral vote. Do you have stats on that?

After further research, most of the data I found regarding your very specific question is 3 to 4 months old. That would make those polls outdated and useless. I did find one poll data that is much more recent. The following is a fairly recent CNN report that may answer your specific question. The date of the following CNN video was published November 4, 2019. This is the only recent poll data I could find to answer your specific question.
Start watching the following video at the 1:22 mark of the video.

Poll: Tight race between Donald Trump and top 3 Democrats in battleground states.

President Donald Trump is trailing former Vice President Joe Biden in six battleground states in potential 2020 matchups, but is slightly ahead of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) in the same states, according to new polling data. CNN's Harry Enten takes a closer look at the data from Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Arizona and North Carolina.

Published November 4, 2019
hightor

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 09:01 am
@Brand X,
I think Zuck's just trying to hedge his bets, hoping that neither Warren nor Sanders gets the nomination. Interestingly, I heard a story on the BBC this morning about billionaires who support a wealth tax.

Blue Haven Initiative

And this from earlier in the year:

US billionaires' group calls for wealth tax

Quote:
"America has a moral, ethical and economic responsibility to tax our wealth more," they said in a letter.

Signatories include investor George Soros, Facebook's co-founder Chris Hughes, and Molly Munger, daughter of billionaire Charlie Munger.

The group said they were non-partisan and not endorsing any candidate.

The open letter said: "A wealth tax could help address the climate crisis, improve the economy, improve health outcomes, fairly create opportunity, and strengthen our democratic freedoms. Instituting a wealth tax is in the interest of our republic."

Among the 18 were a descendant of Walt Disney and the owners of the Hyatt hotel chain. Many in the group have been associated with progressive initiatives on issues such as climate change and the growing wealth gap.

The letter pointed out that fellow billionaire Warren Buffett has said he is taxed at a lower rate than his secretary.

Distrust

While the group did not back a particular candidate, it praised a proposal by Democratic presidential hopeful Senator Elizabeth Warren that would raise taxes on those with more than $50m, a measure that would affect the 75,000 wealthiest families. She estimated that it would raise $2.75tn over 10 years.

The letter alluded to support among Democratic presidential candidates for higher taxes on the super-wealthy, including Pete Buttigieg and Beto O'Rourke.

Of about 40 countries, the US is the sixth highest in terms of wealth concentration, according to data from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.

Taxing the super-wealthy "would slow the growing concentration of wealth that undermines the stability and integrity of our republic," the letter said.

It added: "Today, major policies seldom come to pass without the prior support of wealthy elites or other wealthy interests. Division and dissatisfaction are exacerbated by inequality, leading to higher levels of distrust in democratic institutions-and worse."

US president Donald Trump proposed a one-off wealth tax in 1999 to cut the national debt, but did not make it part of his election policy.

bbc