georgeob1

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 03:09 pm
@engineer,
I believe that is a very accurate assessment of the situation.

Sanders had the committed support of about 24% of the Democrat electorate in the 2016 Primary, and they appear to be sticking with him, though there appears to be little prospect for decisive growth. My impression is that the Democrat leadership is aware of the likely ineluctability of the ascendant new left among them (Warren included), and that is their likely motive in supporting Joe Biden. Unfortunately for them ol'e Joe is amply living up to his career-long record of gaffes and venality. The only thing left for them is impeachment, however long it may take and whatever may be the short term cost. They will thus continue to pursue it in the face of declining likelihood of success.
Lash

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 04:46 pm
@blatham,
Obama portrayed himself as a change agent for the people during his campaign, and went corporate soon after.

He seemed honest, open, and people-centric back then.

Ask a progressive.

Wander out if your bubble and consult progressives on Twitter.
Lash

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 04:56 pm
@MontereyJack,
Nah.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2019 07:03 pm
As they try to give Warren a rock star aura and nurse Biden's campaign along, Bernie goes about his business.

Bernie Sanders becomes first candidate to reach 1 million ...

https://www.axios.com › bernie-sanders-1-million-doners-2020-president-...
6 days ago - Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) on Thursday became the first 2020 contender to announce reaching 1 million individual donors, according to ...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 05:38 am
@engineer,
Good post.
Quote:
I doubt that any concession other than full capitulation would satisfy Sanders though
I'm really hoping that won't be the case. Not merely because it would be so destructive to many of his stated (and sincere, I think) goals but because it would show him to be driven by the worst sort of egocentric motives.
blatham

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 05:48 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
their likely motive in supporting Joe Biden
What leads you to conclude that "Dem leadership" is behaving in this manner? I see no evidence of it at all. I suppose you'd have to clarify who you mean (Pelosi? Schumer? Others?) and then demonstrate some behaviors that support the notion.

The more likely scenario is that those at the top of the party will give particular support to the individual candidate who their research deems the most electable while holding true to key principles. That will be true in the presidential race and all other races below that level (as when Rove spent a lot of effort working to get rid of questionable candidates like the "I am not a witch" character).

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 05:57 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Wander out if your bubble and consult progressives on Twitter.
Good tip. What have you found to be the best Russian to English translation service?
snood

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 06:24 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Good post.
Quote:
I doubt that any concession other than full capitulation would satisfy Sanders though
I'm really hoping that won't be the case. Not merely because it would be so destructive to many of his stated (and sincere, I think) goals but because it would show him to be driven by the worst sort of egocentric motives.

That would almost be like a seventy-eight year old politician who’d spent decades of relative obscurity on the national stage becoming enamored of, and driven by the adulation and attention he’s received in pursuing the presidency.

An impossible eventuality, considering we’re talking about someone whose only possible motivations are pure and altruistic. We’re talking about Bernie here.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 07:21 am
Biden and Warren are as much Republican/neocon as anything else. Both are warmongers, both would work to keep things from changing physically, though some of the rhetoric suggests change. Both vote for military above domestic. Both are capitalist to their bones. If you want to change the flow of political power to the right in this country, Sanders is the only candidate even planning to try.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 08:50 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
their likely motive in supporting Joe Biden
What leads you to conclude that "Dem leadership" is behaving in this manner? I see no evidence of it at all. I suppose you'd have to clarify who you mean (Pelosi? Schumer? Others?) and then demonstrate some behaviors that support the notion.

The more likely scenario is that those at the top of the party will give particular support to the individual candidate who their research deems the most electable while holding true to key principles. That will be true in the presidential race and all other races below that level (as when Rove spent a lot of effort working to get rid of questionable candidates like the "I am not a witch" character).

Hard to divine your meaning here: you appear to be tilting windmills. The evident fact is that many moderate Democrats supported and still support a Biden candidacy, with precisely the standards you suggested in mind. Their obvious and frequently stated concerns had to do with electability and their perceptions of key principles. That was, in fact the point I was asserting. The ongoing lurch to the left by the other candidates (and some newcomers to their Congressional delegation) is a very visible and much noted process. I believe a reaction to it will be a significant factor in the results of the 2020 election. That's hardly a novel or unsubstantiated observation.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 09:55 am
kyle jones
@KyleLovesBernie
·
52m
BREAKING: New York Governor Cuomo has signed the bill moving the deadline for registering as a Democrat in NY for the 2020 Democratic Primary from 10/11/2019 to 02/14/20, this is a Huge step in the right direction & wouldn't have happened without pressure from Bernie & all of us.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 01:00 pm
@blatham,
Every time we try to select a savior, Raygan, Bush,Trump, Bernie, we end up getting screwed.
Lash

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 02:24 pm
@blatham,
Da, comrade.

Only a Russian could dare disagree with your specific paranoia and favorite corrupt partisans.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 08:08 pm
Democratic Wall Street donors:
If you nominate Liz Warren we’ll sit out or back Trump.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/wall-street-democratic-donors-may-back-trump-if-warren-is-nominated.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 07:18 am
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:39 pm
@snood,
Perhaps you are more cynical about Sanders' motives than I am.
blatham

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Biden and Warren are as much Republican/neocon as anything else.
I've been a fairly serious student of the Republican Party of the last few decades and I've read a lot of neoconservative literature along with writings on neoconservatism by others. And what you say in that quote is simply not close to being accurate.
blatham

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:46 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The evident fact is that many moderate Democrats supported and still support a Biden candidacy
You used the term "Dem leadership". I don't think who you describe fit that term. Otherwise, no argument there.
blatham

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:47 pm
@RABEL222,
They don't make saviors like they used to.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:54 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Biden and Warren are as much Republican/neocon as anything else.
I've been a fairly serious student of the Republican Party of the last few decades and I've read a lot of neoconservative literature along with writings on neoconservatism by others. And what you say in that quote is simply not close to being accurate.

Who is it says judge them not by their words, but by their actions? If either of them gets elected the drift to the right will continue, the way it would if a man like for instance Romney were elected instead.