edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 01:01 pm
Marlin Schuetz Not sure this is a good tack for Bernie. Don’t want to return to the days of unreasonably powerful unions and union gangsterism.
Hide or report this
· Reply · 5d
Eric JacksonActive Now
Eric Jackson Gangsterism happened when unions got weak and their leaders caved to management.
Thing is, the nature of industries, and the nature of what jobs are, have changed. There is a new generation of labor activists who understand that. On its rebound organized labor would not look like it did way back when.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 01:01 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
... the Term "Progressive" , particularly as advocated ...
I think that's a long standing crux: many advocate to be "progressive" while others say, they are this or that.

I think, you can find progressives on the right as well as on the left (at least here in Europe and especially in Germany, where e.g. the Progressives were the largest group in the Prussian Lower House, all right-wing/conservative bourgeois middle class).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 01:05 pm
I only call myself progressive because Bernie supporters call themselves such and most deride liberals as centrists. I in fact am a Roosevelt liberal.
blatham

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 01:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
most deride liberals as centrists.
That's just silly as hell.

Quote:
I in fact am a Roosevelt liberal.
This is not silly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 05:49 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 07:16 pm
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 03:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
You mean a liberal who would stack the Supreme Court and send Japanese-Americans to concentration camps?
blatham

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 03:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
a liberal who would stack the Supreme Court and send Japanese-Americans to concentration camps?
That would be me. But I wouldn't send Japanese-Americans (Canadians) to concentration camps, I'd send all the right wing astronauts who have pissed on New York or San Francisco. Or Sweden. Lock them up.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 03:42 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
a liberal who would stack the Supreme Court and send Japanese-Americans to concentration camps?
That would be me. But I wouldn't send Japanese-Americans (Canadians) to concentration camps, I'd send all the right wing astronauts who have pissed on New York or San Francisco. Lock them up.

The hysteria of wartime public sentiment sometimes causes even the best of people to make the wrong choices. Look how idiotically people reacted to 911. Finn should have the smarts to know that part of Roosevelt was not what I referred to, but I will give it the benefit of a doubt. Anybody who knows very much about FDR knows he was pushing for solutions very much like Bernie Sanders is pushing for.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 03:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
and when the SCOTUS refused to proclaim his idea's as Constitutional, he threatened to pack the court with judges who would rule in his favor. Then and only then did the SCOTUS side with him on his unconstitutional ideas.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 03:51 pm
@Baldimo,
Rewriting history again baldy?
Baldimo

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 03:57 pm
@RABEL222,
https://www.history.com/news/franklin-roosevelt-tried-packing-supreme-court
Quote:
Hoffer says historians disagree about what happened next. Some argue that Justice Owen Roberts had shifted in his opinion of the New Deal before the election, giving later New Deal acts like social security, the National Labor Relations Act and other economic regulations his vote on the Court. That shifted the majority to favor federal welfare and regulatory enactments. Others contend that the threat of adding justices to the Court was enough to swing Roberts' vote.

In the end, Perry says, two members of the Court switched to a pro-New Deal position, known as “the switch in time that saved nine.”

“And FDR eventually packed the Court the old-fashioned way,” she says, “through attrition, naming nine members.”
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 04:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Of course, you don't support the worst of FDR.

Who would?

But you get the whole package whether you like it or not.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 04:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Its never been cast in stone. Number of justices changed six times.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 04:46 pm
I commend all this fighting. One of the left's briefest spokespersons asked, "Can't we just all get along?" But Rodney King was a romantic. Obviously, we can't.

So, kudos on the honesty.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:09 pm

playah
@dfi_playah
·
6h
“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:30 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Rewriting history again baldy?

You cannot point out a single untrue thing in any of his posts.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 04:43 am
Hey Edgar.

Ran into this tidbit this morning. I wonder what your take on this is —and how do you think it’ll play in Texas?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2019/09/09/elizabeth-warren-endorses-texas-us-rep-henry-cuellars-democratic-prima/amp/

Excerpt:

Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren is wading into one of Texas' highest-profile intraparty fights, endorsing Jessica Cisneros, the primary challenger to U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Laredo.

"The people of Texas’ 28th district are ready for systematic change and deserve a Democrat that will be on the side of working people; not the side of big money and obstructionist Republicans," Warren, the U.S. senator from Massachusetts, said in a statement Monday morning. "I believe Jessica Cisneros is that fighter."

Cisneros, a young immigration attorney from Laredo, has the backing of Justice Democrats, the progressive group famous for helping elect freshman U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., last year. Cuellar is among the more conservative Democrats in the House.

"Jessica knows our diversity is our strength and that when progressives are unapologetic about our values and who we’re in this battle for, we win," Warren said. "It’s time Texans had a champion in Congress who does just that."

The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Warren is by far the most prominent Democrat to back Cisneros yet. Cuellar has brushed off the challenge as out-of-state meddling by Democrats who do not know his South Texas district.

"We told you the outside special interests were coming to take away local jobs," Cuellar tweeted after the endorsement, adding that Warren and Cisneros "share an agenda that would kill" many jobs in the region.

Cuellar campaign spokesman Colin Strother said the Warren endorsement only reinforces the notion that Cisneros "has no support in the district" and is relying on "northeastern extremists."

"I hope more Massachusetts senators endorse her," Strother said.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 05:35 am
I haven't read much about Laredo's happenings. I always welcome replacing conservatives with more progressive people, regardless of party. I'm not certain how many Texans can be considered to be leaning to vote progressive. Trump has alienated many and certain Republicans are not popular, but the tribal urge to reject liberalism may be enough to keep us red again. It's too soon in my opinion to predict meaningful change. All of my Trump-supporting friends and relatives still talk about Trump as if he is the anointed savior.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 10:37 am
@edgarblythe,
The facts are that there are more registered Democrats in Texas than Republicans, but that the Texas Republicans almost always turn out in greater numbers to vote, proving that a committed minority can always defeat an apathetic majority...which is as it should be.