RABEL222

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 05:38 pm
@Lash,
Pushing republicans again? Better watch out someone besides me might notice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 06:23 pm
It's well known by anybody that follows news at all that the Republicans brought the government to a virtual standstill, a tactic that goes on today, but modified to accommodate the worst president we've ever had. We all know it. Which should be a golden opportunity for the Democrats to win over the independents and reclaim Democrats who are not happy with either party just now. But instead the party wants to go back to the way it was in 2016, a recipe for disaster.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 11:14 pm
@Lash,
Voting for the lesser of two evils now? As long as he's Rebublican, I suppose it won't break your heart too much. :-)
oralloy

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 11:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
It's well known by anybody that follows news at all that the Republicans brought the government to a virtual standstill,

They did nothing of the sort. Obama was responsible for his own failures.
Lash

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 02:22 am
@Olivier5,
How does it hurt to vote against trump in the R and D primaries if a state allows it?
Olivier5

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 03:49 am
@Lash,
I just find it odd that you change your tune so easily about the value of "voting for the lesser of two evils". If that means voting for a centrist democrat against Trump, you're against it, but if it means voting for a republican, you're suddenly all for it... :-))
Lash

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 04:02 am
@Olivier5,
One, I’m serious about; one, I’m trying to **** up trump. Do you really not see the difference?
Olivier5

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 04:11 am
@Lash,
Try again, in English this time.
blatham

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 05:51 am
@Olivier5,
Lash is saying - support Walsh so as to do some damage to Trump. It's a sensible position though I can't imagine Walsh's present posture will do anything other than promote Walsh so that he doesn't have to lay drywall or some such.
snood

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:06 am
@blatham,
Never liked Walsh and don’t trust him now.
But,if he can take one voter away from Trump - be a spoiler to Trump’s campaign in any way- I see that as a plus for the eventual Dem candidate.

I really do not understand some of the TV pundits who are turning up their noses and railing at Walsh’s (admittedly, clearly) racist and otherwise horrible political persona. All the while seemingly ignoring the obvious - that what hurts Trump, helps the Dem candidate.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:11 am
@blatham,
I understand her take, but mine is that she's happy to vote for the lesser of two evils if that means voting for a republican, but won't do so if it means voting for a centrist democrat like Clinton. That's a double standard.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:18 am
@oralloy,
nonsense.
blatham

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 06:43 am
@snood,
Your take on the guy and mine are the same.
Quote:
I really do not understand some of the TV pundits who are turning up their noses and railing at Walsh’s (admittedly, clearly) racist and otherwise horrible political persona. All the while seemingly ignoring the obvious - that what hurts Trump, helps the Dem candidate.
If by "TV pundits" you mean the hosts of news shows, I think they ought not to operate as outright supporters (or the converse) of particular campaigns or parties. Truth-tellers and critics, sure.

I don't have a good sense of how much actual damage Walsh might be able to wreak on Trump. If any, it would be in tempting conservative voters to think differently and to move out of lock-step support for Trump. But at this point, I have no intuitive grasp of how effective this might be.
revelette1

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 08:21 am
@blatham,
I agree, it will be interesting to see if Walsh candidacy get enough of a traction to make a difference for Trump in the republican primary.

Personally I am slightly more optimistic than I was for an unfortunate reason on Trump's chances of winning against any democrat because of the trade war with China effecting farmers in the rust belt, republican country for the most part. Most ordinary people vote for or against the things which matter most to them. Or as they put back in nineties, "it's the economy, stupid."

Farmers’ Frustration With Trump Grows as U.S. Escalates China Fight
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 08:31 am
I said I wasn't wild about Kamala Harris, she seems wishy washy on issues, however, just reading the following piece on BI, if their analysis is right, I like her economic plan to boost those who need it the most.

Quote:
How the top Democratic candidates would transform the US economy

1. Joe Biden
Biden often talks about economic inequality. He wants to close the wealth gap by reversing Trump's tax cuts for the wealthy and give everyone an equal chance to access good healthcare, education, and housing.

2. Sen. Elizabeth Warren
After announcing her 2020 candidacy, Warren proposed the "Ultra-Millionaire Tax." She says this plan could generate $2.75 trillion in revenue in 10 years. This money would go towards universal childcare, student loan debt relief, and down payments on a Green New Deal.

3. Sen. Bernie Sanders
Sanders wants to make public college free and eliminate student debt with the "College for All Act." To pay for this, he proposes applying a new tax on Wall Street transactions. Sanders says this tax would bring in $2.4 trillion in 10 years.

4. Sen. Kamala Harris
Harris wants to implement a tax credit for the middle class. Her policy would reverse the Trump tax cut that benefitted big corporations and the top 1%. The new tax revenues would go toward a tax credit of up to $6,000 for working families.

5. Mayor Pete Buttigieg
Buttigieg believes there should be a big investment in US infrastructure. He also wants to reduce the cost of college and make it debt-free for low-income families. Buttigieg wants to accomplish this through a state-federal partnership.

6. Beto O'Rourke
O'Rourke proposed a detailed economic plan to combat climate change. His plan calls for $250 billion in research and development and $1 trillion in climate change tax incentives.

7. Sen. Cory Booker
Booker's signature economic policy is called "baby bonds." It's a government-run savings program for children aimed to close the wealth-gap. Children would receive up to an additional $2,000 each year, depending on family income. Booker believes "baby bonds" will give every American a shot at economic opportunity.

Business Insider

I like Pete Buttigieg's idea for colleges and we do need an infrastructure plan badly plus it would provide for jobs too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 08:35 am
🌹Kyae
@KyaeGunn
·
10h
Replying to
@NomikiKonst
So many voters left the dem party after 2016 that for the first time since they have been keeping records, Gallup showed that dems had LESS voters than the republicans did. How do they think they will ever win anything with just 26% of the voters?

W.Spackman
@tobeiconoclast
·
12h
Replying to
@NomikiKonst
Trump supporters fall into fairly distinct categories. There's the oligarchs that would steal from their grandmothers given the chance. Then there's the racists and the bigots but the biggest group are the working class folks who got tired of Democrats doing nothing for them...

Nomiki Konst🌹
@NomikiKonst
Manipulation of procedures, lack of transparency (when the rules require it), dragged out debates to confuse or tire members and blatant violation of rules.

After chair vote, I got 4 different reasons why they switched from paper to digital ballots minutes before vote from DNC
revelette1

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 09:02 am
@edgarblythe,
How does that Gallup poll square with 2018 where moderates did so well in the midterms?

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/7/18071700/progressive-democrats-house-midterm-elections-2018

Quote:
Progressive energy helped moderate Democrats win on election night. But progressive candidates weren’t so lucky.

0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 09:26 am
@Lash,
We have open primaries here in CO, I'll be voting for Maj. Tulsi Gabbard. She's the only sane Dem in the race right now.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 10:50 am
@Baldimo,
Glad to see youve come around and support medicare for all now as tulsi does.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 10:52 am
@MontereyJack,
I still don't support medicare for all, but I'll do my best to make sure the insanity on the left is halted in it's tracks.