blatham

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 05:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I would suggest both parties have devolved into cults.
Examples:
Reps-fawning over trump, no matter what.
Dems- Blue No Matter who.

Sanders or no one?
Lash

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 06:04 pm
@blatham,
Most people who are #OnlyBernie base that choice on his undeniable consistency and policies—notoriously rare in politics. Has nothing to do with cultish behavior—but, oddly, Russia is pushing that narrative from every bot farm in Kiev. Eto pravda, nyet?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 06:52 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I would suggest both parties have devolved into cults.
Examples:
Reps-fawning over trump, no matter what.
Dems- Blue No Matter who.

Sanders or no one?

It's not too late for some of the others to wake up and be honest. So far the only one I trust to do what he says, other than Sanders, is Biden. He says he will be friendly with Republicans, because so many are good people, and he won't do a damn thing for Progressives. He likes the other side so much he helped them retain control of the senate.
blatham

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 07:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
My point there was this fellow's incoherent/inconsistent use of the term "cult". From MW:
Quote:
2a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book)
criticizing how the media promotes the cult of celebrity
especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
b : the object of such devotion
c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
the singer's cult of fans
The film has a cult following.

Or from wikipedia:
Quote:
In modern English, the term cult has come to usually refer to a social group defined by its unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs, or its common interest in a particular personality, object or goal.
If he is going to use the term to describe Trump followers or Dem party supporters (particularly in the face of Trumpism) then he has to include himself as well, per the definition of the term.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 07:23 pm
@blatham,
He misused a word.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 07:39 pm
Warren warily waffles on healthcare.
Lash

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 07:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, you may want to reserve trust because Biden says New Hampshire is Vermont and RFK & MLK were assassinated in the 70s....just saying. Might need a little fact checking.
snood

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 07:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Do you think when you disparage the other candidates it somehow helps yours, or is that not really something that matters to you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 07:55 pm
@Lash,
Aside from brainfarts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 08:32 pm
@Lash,
Kiev is the capital of the Ukraine, and therefore not a part of Russia. I'm just sayin. . . It would help your credibility to get basic facts like that correct. The IRA, the Internet Research Agency is in Russia . . . in St. Petersburg. Move to Reality, it's far more interesting..
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2019 09:11 pm
One thing Russian bot farmers don’t want is credibility re Russian bot farms.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 08:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
He misused a word.
Well, yes. But the entire point of his statement hinges on that usage wielded as a derogation of others while he himself also represents the thing. It's muddle-headed and he makes himself dumber for that.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:02 am
@blatham,
The overall meaning, beyond semantics, is still nailing both parties, with which I agree.
revelette1

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:02 am
@blatham,
Well, Bernie Sanders whole strategy has been to gripe about media and the DNC and then finally republicans in order to get his message across. Like Trump, Bernie knows what works for his base.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:04 am
@revelette1,
Another one linking Sanders with Trump. I'm disappointed in you.
blatham

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:13 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
nailing both parties
Setting aside Jesus' least favorite verb...

And it is good that he does because progressives have no better home in one party than in the other. In fact, there are equally as few "progressive" politicians accepted within either party as the other. There are as few progressives sitting on the Dem side of Congress as on the Republican side. The GOP accepts progressive ideas and policies on par with the Dems' acceptance of them. So he's right to nail both. Good thinking on the fellow's part.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:25 am
@edgarblythe,
The only link I see is a strategy, not the characters of either Trump or Sanders. Nor the characters of either supporters. To borrow Hillary's term and possibly get some flak, for the most part Trump's core base who actually think and believe in his rhetoric, both implied and told outright, they are mostly the deplorables who used to be on the fringes who managed to slide by into mainstream. Bernie supporters believe in the things Bernie is for and they are all good things.

However, Bernie does whip up victimization to the ninth degree and goes on about the corrupt of the DNC to divide and conquer democrats so that he has a better chance of winning. He was kind of being overshadowed by all the progressives, so he is back on track now. We'll see if his idea of employers giving saving of Medicare for All for wages and benefits to their employees will help put him back over Warren and perhaps top Biden.
Lash

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:25 am
@revelette1,
The media and the DNC teamed up to cheat him before and they are doing their damnedest to do it again, but too many people know about him and his policies for them to get away with it again.

He has good reason to publicize what the media and the DNC are doing. His base has been doing it on his behalf since 2015. We’re glad he finally joined us.

Playing to his base, my ass. That’s a belligerent, erroneous comment.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:27 am
@Lash,
What she said.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:29 am
@revelette1,
But putting their names together is so like a subtle way of linking them to the disaster that is Trump.
0 Replies