revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 08:31 am
It might be a case of too little too late, however, in this day and age, at long last a form of justice was finally done. (I am going to post it all for those who don't have a subscription)

A Measure of Justice for Eric Garner, and for Daniel Pantaleo

Quote:
As he announced that he was firing the police officer who had put Eric Garner in the chokehold that led to his death, New York City’s police commissioner, James O’Neill, sent the country’s largest police force a message: You may not think I’m on your side, but I am.

As a former beat officer, Mr. O’Neill said the decision to fire Officer Daniel Pantaleo was difficult. “I’ve been a cop a long time,” he said at a midday news conference at Police Headquarters. “And if I was still a cop, I’d probably be mad at me — ‘You’re not looking out for us.’ But I am.”

It was a powerful message from one of the most prominent law enforcement officials in the country: Police officers who violate the public trust must be held accountable, for the good of the public and the police force.

Mr. O’Neill said he had determined that Mr. Pantaleo’s actions in the Garner case made him unfit to serve, despite a “commendable service record” of nearly 300 arrests.

Mr. Garner’s fatal encounter with the police on a Staten Island street in 2014 helped to propel the Black Lives Matter movement, in which protesters across the country took to the streets demanding accountability in the killing of black Americans by police officers.

New York police officers said Mr. Garner, 43, resisted when they tried to arrest him on charges of selling untaxed cigarettes.

But millions of Americans watched a video of Mr. Garner’s struggle with Mr. Pantaleo and saw something else: an unarmed man struggling for his life.

They saw Mr. Pantaleo’s arm wrapped tightly against Mr. Garner’s neck, a chokehold banned by the Police Department in 1993. They heard Mr. Garner’s desperate cry for help as he pleaded, “I can’t breathe,” again and again until falling silent.

Yet, for five years, justice was elusive. In 2014, a Staten Island grand jury declined to indict Mr. Pantaleo on criminal charges. Federal Justice Department officials in the Obama administration weighed civil rights charges for years but left the case mired in indecision. On July 16, one day before the five-year statute of limitations expired, Attorney General William Barr ordered the case be dropped.

All the while, Mr. Pantaleo continued to serve on the force, even seeing his overtime pay increase in the year after Mr. Garner’s death.

The city’s police union responded to the commissioner’s decision on Monday with its own form of resistance. “We are urging all New York City police officers to proceed with the utmost caution in this new reality, in which they may be deemed ‘reckless’ just for doing their job,” the Police Benevolent Association president, Patrick Lynch, said in a statement, appearing to call for a work slowdown. “We will uphold our oath, but we cannot and will not do so by needlessly jeopardizing our careers or personal safety.”

It’s important that Mr. O’Neill and Mayor Bill de Blasio brush off the bombast while continuing to give officers the support they need.

In the past, New York has been too reluctant to discipline its police officers, with grave consequences. Particularly troubling is evidence suggesting that officers rarely face discipline for using chokeholds, even though the move is banned.

Mr. Pantaleo had four substantiated allegations of abuse against him before he choked Mr. Garner — far more than a vast majority of members of the force.

Mr. Garner’s family has suffered immensely. His daughter Erica Garner died in 2017 of a heart attack after years of activism in the wake of her father’s death. Mr. Garner’s stepfather, Benjamin Carr, died of a heart attack last month. Mr. Garner’s mother, Gwen Carr, has been tireless in seeking justice for her son. It is a small mercy, at least, that she has seen something approaching justice done.

The lack of accountability in Mr. Garner’s death has also remained an open wound in the city, adding to a sense of grievance against the police among black and Hispanic New Yorkers even as crime rates were falling to record lows.

Mr. O’Neill seems to understand this. He said Monday that every time he sees the video of Mr. Garner, he wants to intervene to change the confrontation from turning tragic.

“Every time I watched the video, I say to myself, as probably all of you do, to Mr. Garner, ‘Don’t do it, comply,’” he said. “To Officer Pantaleo, ‘Don’t do it.’”

But Mr. O’Neill said that Mr. Garner’s death “must have a consequence.”
It must. And, after too many years, it finally has.

(bold added by me for emphasis)
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 08:47 am
@revelette1,
Another case of justice thwarted. When these persons get fired they often get hired to similar jobs elsewhere.
revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 08:58 am
@edgarblythe,
You see the glass as half empty, I see as half full. Pantaleo was not indicted, his case stalled in Justice Department for civil injustice (think the right term?) for years and then Barr dropped it altogether. There was little left other than firing Pantaleo at this point. I am glad he was fired, doubt seriously he gets rehired.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 09:00 am
@revelette1,
They don't get rehired at the same place, usually, but move to a different spot to apply.
oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 09:04 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
It might be a case of too little too late, however, in this day and age, at long last a form of justice was finally done.

Firing an innocent police officer is hardly justice. He is right to appeal his firing to the courts.

Meanwhile, if cops are wise, they will not bother to show up whenever a progressive dials 911.
snood

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 09:47 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

You see the glass as half empty, I see as half full. Pantaleo was not indicted, his case stalled in Justice Department for civil injustice (think the right term?) for years and then Barr dropped it altogether. There was little left other than firing Pantaleo at this point. I am glad he was fired, doubt seriously he gets rehired.

I think that glass just has a couple of drops in it. I mean, the cop used an illegal choke hold and held it tightly enough to suffocate- long enough for his victim to plead “I can’t breathe ELEVEN times”, then he lied about it in court even though it was clearly seen on videotape. Then the guy doesn’t get any action at all (I think they restricted him to desk duty for awhile) taken against him for FIVE years. Then when they finally, grudgingly deprive him of his job it’s FIVE years later. As if the loss of a job is somehow just recompense for a wrongful loss of life. Then the police act as if the COP is the victim, and we’re all supposed to be impressed and grateful they did ANYTHING at all to him.

I don’t know what that is, but it ain’t justice.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 09:48 am
@hightor,
I imagine there were quite a few enlightened Modern Age Germans who thought a dictator could never rise to power in their country.

As I have stated repeatedly (and which you have ignored repeatedly) I am not predicting a tyrant coming to power in the US anytime soon, but I do not believe it could never happen here for any reason (including the vague techo-culturo babble you seem to be spouting) and for that reason I believe the integrity of the 2nd Amendment is important. If I though tyranny was around the corner and I wanted, as an old geezer, to be on the firing lines, I would own a gun and (as I have also repeatedly stated) I do not.

If anyone needs to put the #Resistance fantasy to bed it's progressives and their Anitfa shock troops.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 09:49 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
It's another example of defining a term to suggest that a particular political movement or politically engaged group are doing something inappropriate, sneaky, and conspiratorial.

That's a good point. Every time I've heard someone referring to the "resistance" it's coming from a rightist. I'd assumed that the term had been appropriated by some rump element in the progressive movement, but yeah, it makes more sense if it's another case of right-wing disinformation.

Progressives — do any of you refer to yourselves as the "resistance"?

You live a pretty sheltered life if you have only heard rightists speak of #Resistance.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 09:52 am
@oralloy,
Do those calling 911 announce their political preferences?

Of course not, but it does point to the fact that the loudest anti-cop politicians would probably be shouting "Shoot him!" as loud as they could if they felt menaced and a cop was nearby.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 09:55 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

They don't get rehired at the same place, usually, but move to a different spot to apply.

He may even get reinstated in NYC. If so, my recommendation to him would be: Retire if you can and collect your pension. If you don't have the years of service, request a desk job until you do (this won't be too tough because the NYPD would never put him back on the street - for his safety and PR)

If he isn't I think you are correct. A police force somewhere will hire him.
oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 10:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think he's got enough for a partial pension, but not the full 20 years.

There was something in the news about them denying his pension after they had promised it to him.

EDIT: https://apnews.com/e5f8f5020d914bb5a496152b0705d2ee
Quote:
2:45 p.m.

The attorney for Officer Daniel Pantaleo says he will continue fighting for his job even after he was fired for placing Eric Garner in a chokehold that contributed to his 2014 death.

Attorney Stuart London told reporters Monday that Pantaleo intends to appeal Commissioner James O'Neill's decision to terminate him.

London said Pantaleo had been promised a pension for his 13 years but that police brass later reneged on those assurances.
revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 10:13 am
@snood,
Not it is not justice, justice would have been for a jury to listen and watch the video and come to the correct conclusion any person could see was right in the front of them. However they didn't. I don't know why, something about the witnesses. It don't matter, the jury made an incorrect decision. Apparently the Obama administration searched for years for a way to file civil rights charges against him, they must not found any cause. After that, there was no where else to go other than to fire him.

Say after all this time after the Barr announced no charges would be made against the officer involved in the death Gardner, the Police commissioner decided against firing him. Firing him is all the justice there could be had at this point.
revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 10:15 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
There was something in the news about them denying his pension after they had promised it to him.

Good!
oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 10:18 am
@revelette1,
Maybe one day someone will unjustly deny you a retirement. Karma does tend to give people what they deserve after all.
oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 10:19 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
I think that glass just has a couple of drops in it. I mean, the cop used an illegal choke hold and held it tightly enough to suffocate- long enough for his victim to plead "I can't breathe ELEVEN times", then he lied about it in court even though it was clearly seen on videotape.

The choke hold lasted only a few seconds, only while Mr. Garner was bucking and trying to fling him off his back.

The pleading of "I can't breathe" did not take place during the choke hold. It took place only after everyone had toppled to the ground and the grip on his neck was released.

What part of his court testimony was untrue?
oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 10:21 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Do those calling 911 announce their political preferences?

No, but the police could try to keep track on their own.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 10:29 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Not it is not justice, justice would have been for a jury to listen and watch the video and come to the correct conclusion any person could see was right in the front of them. However they didn't. I don't know why, something about the witnesses.

It was because the evidence showed that Officer Pantaleo did not commit a crime.

revelette1 wrote:
It don't matter, the jury made an incorrect decision.

Hardly. When someone has not committed a crime, it is proper that they not be indicted.

revelette1 wrote:
Apparently the Obama administration searched for years for a way to file civil rights charges against him, they must not found any cause.

Our legal system is like that. We don't convict people when there is no evidence that they have committed a crime.

revelette1 wrote:
Firing him is all the justice there could be had at this point.

Firing innocent people is hardly justice.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 02:37 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Not it is not justice, justice would have been for a jury to listen and watch the video and come to the correct conclusion any person could see was right in the front of them. However they didn't. I don't know why, something about the witnesses. It don't matter, the jury made an incorrect decision. Apparently the Obama administration searched for years for a way to file civil rights charges against him, they must not found any cause. After that, there was no where else to go other than to fire him.

Say after all this time after the Barr announced no charges would be made against the officer involved in the death Gardner, the Police commissioner decided against firing him. Firing him is all the justice there could be had at this point.

Ah Ha! The "correct conclusion" as determined by revelette1 who, BTW, wasn't on the jury and wasn't privy to all the facts. The Obama DOJ "searched for years" for evidence to bring a civil rights charge against him but failed...It couldn't be because there wasn't any, it must have been because a cabal of white supremacists controlling the NYC government kept them from them.

Yours would have been one of the most laughable comments I've seen in this forum if it wasn't symptomatic of a very dangerous point of view that is all too prevalent on the Left:

Quote:
Our system of justice works when it delivers the results we like and when it doesn't, it's evidence of it's (usually racist) corruption

We now have two Democrat POTUS candidates spewing filthy lies about the shooting of Michael Brown in Fergusen MO in order to attract black votes. Their lies earned them 4 Pinocchios from WaPo btw.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 02:38 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Maybe one day someone will unjustly deny you a retirement. Karma does tend to give people what they deserve after all.

Ole Rev is an Angel of Justice don't you know?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 02:49 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

snood wrote:
I think that glass just has a couple of drops in it. I mean, the cop used an illegal choke hold and held it tightly enough to suffocate- long enough for his victim to plead "I can't breathe ELEVEN times", then he lied about it in court even though it was clearly seen on videotape.

The choke hold lasted only a few seconds, only while Mr. Garner was bucking and trying to fling him off his back.

The pleading of "I can't breathe" did not take place during the choke hold. It took place only after everyone had toppled to the ground and the grip on his neck was released.

What part of his court testimony was untrue?

The video seems to show a very large black man passively holding up his hands, however, the officer in question was situated behind him and below his shoulders. We don't know what actions Garner took before the video started running.

I think it was a very sad and unfortunate incident.

The officer made, IMO, a mistake, but if we are going to have men and women on our streets protecting us from crime, and putting their lives on the line, then it is intellectually dishonest, ideologically driven, and shamefully unfair to expect perfection from them.

Why anyone joins a police force today is beyond me.

Where the police have come under intense fire (e.g. Baltimore) they've pulled back and crime has surged...and in the communities, all of these anti-cop idiots profess to care about.