blatham

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 08:19 pm
@hightor,
Clearly Bernie sees Liz as the evil enemy.
blatham

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 08:22 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I’m seeing a flood of tweets bailing on Kamala.
Cool. And only 85% of them are bots. Or the unbright crowd who don't comprehend the information sewer they are swimming in.
Lash

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 08:38 pm
@blatham,
Or people who see how corrupt she is.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 08:46 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Clearly Bernie sees Liz as the evil enemy.

I just can’t wrap my head around the notion that it has to be Bernie and the true believers against the world. How do they see it as productive to endlessly exalt Bernie, denigrate all the other (actually Democratic) candidates (except Tulsi, I guess), and then curl up into a snowflake fetal position and whine foul at everyone who calls their idiocy for what it is?
blatham

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 09:18 pm
@snood,
I like Sanders. I've always like him. I'd take him over any potential GOP candidate in a second. But as I've said before, he's not a magical unicorn. He isn't the only proper representative of leftism and it is not that any other Dem candidate running is a "centrist". This terminology is misinformed and uneducated and it is very simplistic.

We know that Russian trolls (and American right wing trolls) are engaged in activities to divide or disillusion the left voting base. So, how are they going to do that? By setting lefties against each other. That IS the game. Divide and conquer. If you do support Bernie, you're a deceived unpatriotic schmuck who will destroy America. If you don't support Bernie, you're a deceived and loathsome schmuck who'll hand the reigns back to Trump.

snood

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 09:37 pm
@blatham,
I can’t argue with any of that analysis. It’s particularly unsettling that a couple of folks around here seem to have attached their little red wagons to that bot-think madness and are stoking the divisiveness every chance they get.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 09:56 pm
It's policy, not candidate. If they take corporate money, if they don't support universal healthcare wholeheartedly, if they don't attempt to reign in military spending and unnecessary wars, I don't want them.
blatham

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 10:03 pm
@snood,
Social media as a primary means of educating oneself on political matters - Yech.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 10:14 pm
I thought all the thumbs down was coming from one source. Now I have to think it's another.
blatham

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 10:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
If they take corporate money

I am not so black and white on this one. Business entities are, after all, operating members of the national community just like you and I. A far better metric we might use to judge this is (a) the nature of the corporation(s) and their past records as good-faith citizens or self-serving amoral players and (b) the candidate's sincere policies on campaign finance reform.
Quote:
if they don't support universal healthcare wholeheartedly,

Again my advise would be to reject absolutes here. As you know, other advanced western nations commonly have better health outcomes at lower costs with many more citizens covered than is the case in the US. But there are many different routes those nations have taken to get to the place they are at.
Quote:
if they don't attempt to reign in military spending and unnecessary wars, I don't want them.

Is there any candidate who doesn't check that box?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 10:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I thought all the thumbs down was coming from one source.
Such a silly game, that one. But it would be interesting to see such a feature where anonymity is removed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 10:28 pm
When they vote to give more military money than the president asks for, I think they are a wee tad hawkish. Most supported Obama's military adventures, most of Bush's. Most support the Israeli crimes -
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 10:31 pm
Follow the money when congress counts their votes. Corporate wins nearly every time and public goes begging.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 10:32 pm
I have no give when it comes to universal health coverage.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2019 12:52 am
One of the things Bernie stands for is a return to decency in politics, away from "entertainment politics" and colorful mud fights, and back to the issues that matter for the people. So to see one of his supporters ask for more mud-sliding between natural allies is kind of awkward. It shows a lack of actual respect for the man, a lack of care for his ideas. Bernie is being treated as some sort of semi-magic superhero without the spandex rather than as the serious, innovative and thoughtful politician he is, and that ain't right.
Lash

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2019 02:35 am
@Olivier5,
Bernie gets mad and cuts ass, too. He calls out corporate democrats for their corruption, just like we do. You should watch more often.
oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2019 02:36 am
I see that cop-hating nutcases disrupted the debate:
http://apnews.com/ebbb723d4dfb45aba368ae11181376f1

The Fox Theater huh. I saw Ozzy Osbourne perform there in 1992.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2019 02:36 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019/07/31/opinion/31collins/31collins-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

Looks like an excellent ticket to the white house. :-)
Olivier5

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2019 02:40 am
@Lash,
I'm not following closely, that's true, but I still think too highly of both Sanders and Warren to hope for internecine blood bath between the two.

If Bernie wins the nomination, he ain't gona chose Biden or Harris as his veep... Warren is going to be his veep, or vice versa. At least that's a distinct possibility. So there's a lot to risk by attacking one another. It would only weaken the left vs. the centrists.
snood

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2019 02:41 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

One of the things Bernie stands for is a return to decency in politics, away from "entertainment politics" and colorful mud fights, and back to the issues that matter for the people. So to see one of his supporters ask for more mud-sliding between natural allies is kind of awkward. It shows a lack of actual respect for the man, a lack of care for his ideas. Bernie is being treated as some sort of semi-magic superhero without the spandex rather than as the serious, innovative and thoughtful politician he is, and that ain't right.

You and I seem to have our differences on occasion, but your take on the difference between Bernie and his more rabid/rigid supporters is 100% spot-on.
0 Replies