InfraBlue

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 09:29 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
No one forced them to live amid a foreign population.

The ones who were forced to leave by the Romans were certainly forced. So were the ones who were forced to leave by the Neo-Babylonians. And so were the subjects of the northern kingdom who were forced to leave by the Neo-Assyrians.

The mtDNA that the article refers to is from European admixture centuries before the Roman seizures. The resettlement of Judahites, not Israelites, during the Neo-Babylonian deportations was to Babylon, not Europe. The deportation of Israelites by the Neo-Assyrians was to Mesopotamia, not Europe.

oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
All that any genetic research shows is that Ashkenazim show some Middle Eastern genealogy. It doesn't show specific descent from Israelites.

The Y chromosome study shows a Bronze Age connection with the Palestinians.

Yeah, a general Levantine and Middle Eastern connection. The Y chromosome DNA is a very small part of the total genealogy of an individual.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
That estimate is in reference to Middle East genes found in European populations which includes the Ashkenazim.

They are Middle Eastern genes only in the sense that all non-African genes are Middle Eastern (as the ancestors of all non-Africans passed through the Middle East on their way out of Africa).

Incorrect. The Middle Eastern admixture in Europe happened around 12,000 to 25,000 years ago, according to the study, long after the initial population of Europe which occurred between 50,000 and 43,000 years ago. These Middle Eastern populations were archaic farmers.

oralloy wrote:
The estimate of 12-25 thousand years ago does not refer to the much-more-recent Middle Eastern genes that the Ashkenazim have as a result of their Israelite heritage.

Nothing genealogical refers to a supposed Israelite heritage. Genealogy deals in science, not mythology.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
One ancestral population of which already included Middle Eastern genealogy.

Both ancestral populations included Middle Eastern genealogy.

Correct.

oralloy wrote:
The ancestral population that diverged from the Middle
East 12-25 thousand years ago is "Middle Eastern" only in the sense that all non-African ancestral populations have Middle Eastern heritage.

Incorrect. See my response above to this assertion of yours.

oralloy wrote:

The other ancestral population is Middle Eastern because they were the ancient Israelites.

No. The genealogical studies do not refer to ancient Israelite ancestors.

oralloy wrote:
Even if we assume (without evidence) that the Ashkenazim left Jerusalem voluntarily, they still retained their cultural ties to Jerusalem, and it remains the center of their identity. It never stopped being their ancient homeland.

Religiously and mythologically speaking, it is their homeland. That does not justify their oppression of the Palestinian people, the indigenous people of Palestine.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 09:36 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
I was responding specifically to that statement you had made.

My mistake.

No problem.

oralloy wrote:
And we know from the Y chromosome study that the Israeli Jews are directly descended from the ancient Israelites.

Incorrect. We know from the Y chromosome studies that Ashkenazim have some Middle Eastern genetic admixture. No genealogical studies have established Israelite descent of the Ashkenazim. That claim is the realm of religion and mythology, not science.

oralloy wrote:
My take on the matter is accurate. That is indeed all that the world has asked of Israel.

Nope.

oralloy wrote:
Most of Israel's peace offers to the Palestinians are a matter of historical record. Only the 2012 offer from Netanyahu is shrouded in secrecy.

Okay.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 09:39 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Why don't you think a two-state solution would give the Palestinians their own state?

A two-state solution would give the Palestinians their own state. This does not speak to their Right of Return that Israel harmfully denies them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 10:15 pm
Just came from Bernie's official site, where you can find actual positions, clearly spelled out.

Health Care for All
College for All and Cancel All Student Debt
Fight for Working Families
Jobs for All
Right to a Secure Retirement
Combat Climate Change and Pass a Green New Deal
Meet Our Commitment To Our Veterans
Enact A Responsible, Comprehensive Foreign Policy
Fight for Women’s Rights
Fight for Disability Rights
Fight for LGBTQ Equality
Empower the People of Puerto Rico
Demand that the Wealthy, Large Corporations and Wall Street Pay their Fair Share in Taxes
Gun Safety
Criminal Justice Reform
Racial Justice
Immigration Reform
Empower Tribal Nations
Real Wall Street Reform
Fight For Fair Trade and Workers
Reinvest in Public Education and Teachers
Get Big Money Out of Politics and Restore Democracy
Fair Banking for All
Revitalizing Rural America
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 11:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Gun Safety

"Take on the NRA and its corrupting effect on Washington. The NRA has become a partisan lobbying public-relations entity for gun manufacturers, and its influence must be stopped."

"Ban the sale and distribution of assault weapons. Assault weapons are designed and sold as tools of war. There is absolutely no reason why these firearms should be sold to civilians."

Wow. That Sanders creep hates both the First and the Second Amendment. And he likes to violate people's civil liberties for fun.

It's a good thing that Mr. Trump protects our civil liberties. So long as we keep voting for him, our rights will be secure.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 11:08 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
The mtDNA that the article refers to is from European admixture centuries before the Roman seizures.

All that shows is that European women married into Ashkenazim families. It does not undermine the claim that the Ashkenazim are descended from the Israelites.

InfraBlue wrote:
The resettlement of Judahites, not Israelites, during the Neo-Babylonian deportations was to Babylon, not Europe. The deportation of Israelites by the Neo-Assyrians was to Mesopotamia, not Europe.

It still was forcing them to leave against their will.

InfraBlue wrote:
Yeah, a general Levantine and Middle Eastern connection.

The Y chromosome results were pretty specific. They show that the Ashkenazim diverged from the Palestinians during the Bronze Age.

Given that there was a unified Canaanite culture in the area during the Bronze Age, which then diverged into separate Iron Age cultures, it is pretty obvious how the pieces fit together.

InfraBlue wrote:
The Y chromosome DNA is a very small part of the total genealogy of an individual.

It's still good enough to tie the Ashkenazim to the Palestinians during the Bronze Age.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
They are Middle Eastern genes only in the sense that all non-African genes are Middle Eastern (as the ancestors of all non-Africans passed through the Middle East on their way out of Africa).

Incorrect.

What other significance is there to the fact that this group broke away from the Middle East 12 to 25 thousand years ago?

InfraBlue wrote:
The Middle Eastern admixture in Europe happened around 12,000 to 25,000 years ago, according to the study, long after the initial population of Europe which occurred between 50,000 and 43,000 years ago. These Middle Eastern populations were archaic farmers.

What you said is true as far as I can see, but how is it relevant to the question of whether the Ashkenazim are descended from the ancient Israelites?

InfraBlue wrote:
Nothing genealogical refers to a supposed Israelite heritage.

The fact that the Ashkenazim diverged from the Palestinians during the Bronze Age is a pretty good match to the history of Bronze Age Canaanites diverging into separate Iron Age cultures.

InfraBlue wrote:
Genealogy deals in science, not mythology.

And science says that the Ashkenazim diverged from the Palestinians during the Bronze Age.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The ancestral population that diverged from the Middle East 12-25 thousand years ago is "Middle Eastern" only in the sense that all non-African ancestral populations have Middle Eastern heritage.

Incorrect. See my response above to this assertion of yours.

In what other sense is this ancestral population Middle Eastern?

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The other ancestral population is Middle Eastern because they were the ancient Israelites.

No. The genealogical studies do not refer to ancient Israelite ancestors.

They show that the Ashkenazim diverged from the Palestinians during the Bronze Age. That's a pretty close match to the history of Bronze Age Canaan diverging into differing Iron Age cultures.

They also show the Ashkenazim having a Middle Eastern lineage that entered Europe 600 to 800 years ago.

InfraBlue wrote:
Religiously and mythologically speaking, it is their homeland.

It is also their homeland in reality. DNA shows that they diverged from the Palestinians during the Bronze Age.

InfraBlue wrote:
That does not justify their oppression of the Palestinian people, the indigenous people of Palestine.

DNA shows that the Ashkenazim are equally the indigenous people of Palestine.

I do not share your opinion that the Palestinians are being oppressed. I see the two state solution as being entirely fair.
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 11:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Incorrect. We know from the Y chromosome studies that Ashkenazim have some Middle Eastern genetic admixture. No genealogical studies have established Israelite descent of the Ashkenazim.

Genealogical studies show that the Ashkenazim diverged from the Palestinians during the Bronze Age. That is a pretty good match to the history of Bronze Age Canaan diverging into separate Iron Age cultures.

InfraBlue wrote:
Nope.

Do you have any evidence of the world asking Israel to do anything more than return to 1967 borders as part of a land-for-peace arrangement?
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2019 11:12 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
This does not speak to their Right of Return that Israel harmfully denies them.

So what? The Palestinians need to learn to share.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 02:29 am
@oralloy,
The Israelis need to learn ti share. They took the Palestinians land nd kicked the Paestinians out. They're the bad neighbors
oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 03:00 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
The Israelis need to learn ti share.

Get your facts straight. The Israelis have been offering to share for decades.

MontereyJack wrote:
They took the Palestinians land nd kicked the Paestinians out.

Self defense against an aggressor who refuses to ever make peace. The Palestinians will be given land to form their state with if they ever agree to make peace with Israel.

MontereyJack wrote:
They're the bad neighbors

I do not agree that a Jew is bad for having the audacity to defend himself.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 07:31 am
Two mass shootings yesterday, one in Brooklyn, one in Northern California

Once again, thanks a lot, gun nuts.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 08:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Just came from Bernie's official site...

Nothing about overpopulation?
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 08:14 am
@oralloy,
The Israelis dispossesses Palestiians from Palestinian-settled land and forced them into a much smaller area, far more crowded. That's why they're refugees, after all. Then the Israelis said, ,"Hey, we get the big area and you can have much less area for your own. Just agree to the unequal dispensation." It's kinda like the Israelis robbing a bank and then saying "we have a right to self-defense" when they shoot anyone who tries to get the money back.
Lash

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 08:23 am
@hightor,
The Bernie Sanders I know won’t be telling people not to have children.

Is any other presidential candidate advocating population control?

I mean, I guess the ones who’re giving Monsanto a pass as they poison us are in a way pressing population control—the current ‘healthcare system’ in the US is definitely pressing population control.

No, I don’t think Bernie will support this type of population control.
hightor

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 08:42 am
@Lash,
He doesn't have to tell people not to have children. We all know that's totally unrealistic. Simply limiting families to two children would have a substantial effect. And he can draw attention to the destructive effects of continued unrestrained population growth — especially in those areas of the world most jeopardized by climate change which, coincidentally, are the regions with the highest rates of population increase. He could also declare his support for NGOs which promote birth control and smaller families and draw attention to those institutions which are exacerbating this crisis with their opposition to family planning and other reproductive rights.
Quote:
Is any other presidential candidate advocating population control?

No. They're all completely gutless on this issue. Including Sanders. If I were an idealist I might be disappointed but this is just classic "politics as usual".
Lash

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 09:10 am
@hightor,
This kind of government enforced population control smacks of authoritarianism. I’ll never support it.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 09:15 am
I agree overpopulation is a problem. Poisoning the population is as great a problem.
hightor

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 09:32 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I’ll never support it.

No one's advocating "government enforced population control". The idea is for our leaders to identify a problem, draw attention to it, show how people can have a role in its solution, and let these newly enlightened citizens make more informed choices. I'm surprised that you reject government having an educative role in responding to this crisis.
hightor

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 09:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I agree overpopulation is a problem. Poisoning the population is as great a problem.

The solutions aren't mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 09:39 am
@hightor,
Let scientists make recommendations about the pros and cons of having children in this climate.

Not the government.