edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 03:09 pm
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/23/its-bad-it-looks-pelosi-under-fire-debt-ceiling-deal-hands-gop-power-kneecap
"It's as Bad as It Looks": Pelosi Under Fire for Debt Ceiling Deal That Hands GOP Power to Kneecap Progressive Agenda
"It sets up a crisis of the first year of the next president's administration," said a former congressional staffer. "We're letting them light the fuse on another bomb and place it squarely in the middle of the next president's first year."

suspending the debt ceiling until after the 2020 elections.

"You can almost hear Ted Cruz yelling on the floor of the Senate that Congress shouldn't raise the debt limit by one more dollar unless President Bernie Sanders promises to drop his demand for Medicare for All."
—Paul Blest, Splinter
The debt ceiling is the legislative limit on how much the federal government can borrow. If the ceiling is not raised, the U.S. would risk defaulting on its debts and potentially sparking a global financial crisis.

Former congressional staffers and other critics said that by agreeing to suspend the debt ceiling until 2021, Pelosi gave Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) the ability to extract massive spending cuts and other concessions from a Democratic president in exchange for raising the debt limit.

Paul Blest of Splinter wrote Tuesday that "if the eventual Democratic presidential nominee defeats Trump in 2020, this will be one of the things they have to deal with in their first year in office."

"If you really listen," Blest wrote, "you can almost hear [Texas Sen.] Ted Cruz yelling on the floor of the Senate that Congress shouldn't raise the debt limit by one more dollar unless President Bernie Sanders promises to drop his demand for Medicare for All."

In the lead-up to Pelosi's agreement with Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, a number of commentators called for abolition of the debt ceiling, arguing it is an arbitrary and "absolutely insane" restriction that serves no legitimate purpose.

Citing a Democratic source close to the negotiations, Blest reported that "the possibility of ending the debt ceiling came up and 'interest was expressed,' [but] it was decided that it was 'too difficult' to do in this particular agreement."

"The biggest win of Pelosi’s second stint as Speaker so far was holding the line on the government shutdown earlier this year," Blest wrote. "So, Pelosi knows how to use leverage; she just didn't push hard enough this time, for whatever reason."

Adam Jentleson, who served as deputy chief of staff to former Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid, echoed Blest's fears about the budget deal in an interview with Bloomberg, which reported Tuesday that 2020 Democratic presidential candidates are "quietly expressing consternation" that the agreement could set them up for a disastrous first year in the White House.

"The timing of it really bugs me," said Jentleson. "It sets up a crisis of the first year of the next president's administration. We're letting them light the fuse on another bomb and place it squarely in the middle of the next president's first year in office."

The Democratic leadership, said Jentleson, handed Republicans—who are favored to hold the Senate in 2020—"a major weapon" to completely derail progressive agenda items that 2020 Democrats have placed at the center of their White House bids.

As Jentleson pointed out on Twitter, Republicans weaponized the debt ceiling against former President Barack Obama in 2011:
Pelosi's agreement with Mnuchin—which President Donald Trump applauded in a series of tweets Monday night—must be approved by the House and Senate. The deal would lift spending limits by $320 billion and hand the Pentagon a $738 billion budget, a $22 billion increase from the previous year.

In a joint statement, Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) hailed the agreement as a bipartisan compromise "that will enhance our national security and invest in middle class priorities that advance the health, financial security, and well-being of the American people."

Brian Fallon, executive director of progressive advocacy group Demand Justice and former aide to Schumer, was not as enthusiastic about the deal.

"It was fun for a while to debate whether the Democrat who beats Trump should focus on election reform or climate change in 2021," Fallon tweeted. "Now Republicans will make it a fight over lifting the debt ceiling."

"The negotiations over the debt ceiling clearly illustrate the asymmetry between the two parties," Fallon added. "GOP is happy to preserve the debt limit because they know Dems will never hang it over a GOP president's head. On other hand, GOP is happy to play chicken with it when a Dem is in office."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 04:28 pm
Anybody who thinks Pelosi and her ilk have the people's interest at heart, I hope you can explain how that helps anybody but the money suctioning machines.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 09:02 pm
True leaders worry more about getting things done than about who gets credit for the ideas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 09:23 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EANcjiIXoAAv6u3?format=jpg&name=medium
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 09:45 pm
When House Rep. Ilhan Omar’s comments about the Israel lobby took over the news cycle earlier this year, they struck some as innocuously accurate, others as impolitic, while for others they were outrageous and inflammatory. Omar apologized for any offense and pledged to be more diplomatic. End of story, right?

Of course not. The rabidly anti-Semitic comments that Omar never made — along with the equally fictitious Jew hatred of her allies in the so-called Squad — have swiftly become a load-bearing myth in US politics, holding up the starry heavens alongside troop-spitting hippies, death panels, and welfare queens.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/chasemadar/ilhan-omar-anti-semitism-load-bearing-myth
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 09:47 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EANcxj4XsAAN6yf?format=jpg&name=900x900
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 10:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
That article is incorrect. Omar did spout outrageous antisemitism. And so did her neonazi buddies.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 07:04 am
@oralloy,
You are either a liar or grossly misinformed. Take your pick. Nothing personal.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 07:06 am
Eric Jackson
3 hrs ·
I am kind of interested in what Mueller might say today, but I am not all antsy about it. The guy is a cautious small-c conservative cop, lawyer and prosecutor. Let him say what he will, ask polite and useful questions, but don't try to put words in his mouth like Trump has.

Do I want to get partisan / sectarian in a Democratic context? While the whole nation ought to be interested, those Democrats for whom today's testimony is most crucial are generally those who are not offering much in the way of resolving the country's problems.

Democrats may win the next election on the basis of what an unbelievable jerk Donald Trump is. However, we only give the Republicans the sound thrashing that the nation really needs by offering voters good positive reasons why we should take over Washington and lead in more sensible directions. Trump being defeated by some timid politician mostly concerned with blocking things his or her big donors don't want, with the GOP still in charge of the Senate and the high court, does not extract America from its long term predicament. We need a mandate for change, on some salient issues but more importantly a very different attitude.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 07:06 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

(They should dispose of the entire thumbing 'feature')

Agreed
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 07:08 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Yet, on the other hand, wouldn't it be interesting if the feature was maintained but with voters identified.

That's very subversive, you know. I gave you a thumbs up.

One feature I like which I've seen on another discussion forum is the prohibition of back-to-back entries by posters.

That would encourage members to be glued to this forum on a daily basis.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 07:49 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
You are either a liar or grossly misinformed. Take your pick. Nothing personal.

I appreciate the recognition that being mistaken does not make me a liar.

But there is a third option: that I am entirely correct.

Here is evidence that Ilhan Omar is a neonazi:
http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Muslim-Democratic-congressional-candidate-calls-Israel-apartheid-regime-562095
http://www.jpost.com/American-Politics/Freshman-congresswoman-Ilhan-Omar-flip-flops-shares-support-for-BDS-571917

Here is evidence that Rashida Tlaib is a neonazi:
http://www.jpost.com/American-Politics/Freshman-endorses-Israel-boycott-Pelosi-shrugs-off-extreme-left-members-573457
snood

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 07:49 am
@edgarblythe,
You’re right. It IS a catchy slogan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 09:14 am
@oralloy,
So you and they say. Lies and damned lies.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 09:24 am
@edgarblythe,
I believe these quotes are accurate. The Jerusalem Post is after all a reputable news outlet.

Rashida Tlaib:

"I personally support the BDS movement"

Ilhan Omar:

"the evil doings of Israel"
"the apartheid Israeli regime"
"I believe and support the BDS movement"
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 09:27 am
@oralloy,
Israel's government makes it a rogue state, like Saudi Arabia. You people confuse criticism of the government with anti semitism. It's a mistake costing Palestinians lives and livelihood.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 09:35 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Israel's government makes it a rogue state, like Saudi Arabia.

That is incorrect. Israel has a lawful, respectable, and responsible government.

edgarblythe wrote:
You people confuse criticism of the government with anti semitism.

There is no confusion. Disguising false accusations of imaginary atrocities by directing the false accusations "at Israel" instead of "at Jews" does not change the reality that these false accusations are outright antisemitism.

edgarblythe wrote:
It's a mistake costing Palestinians lives and livelihood.

The only things that are costing them lives and livelihood are the Palestinians' perpetual refusal to make peace, and their perpetual attempts to murder innocent Israelis.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 09:43 am
@oralloy,
I've told you the straight truth and will not pursue the topic further.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 09:57 am
@edgarblythe,
It was not true when you characterized Israel as a rogue state.

It was not true when you said that criticizing the Israeli government is different from antisemitism.

While it is true that legitimate criticism of the Israeli government would not be antisemitism, falsely accusing Israel of imaginary atrocities and then "criticizing" them for those imaginary atrocities is very much antisemitism.

I suppose that if the Palestinians ever succeeded in murdering all the Israelis, they might be able to carve out a better lifestyle for themselves living off the spoils of their massacre of innocents. So I guess you were correct to state that opposing Palestinian aggression impedes their livelihood.

Kind of like how the police impede the livelihood of bank robbers when they arrest them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 09:58 am
Discount Dog Scuba
@ScubaForDogs
·
1h
everybody knows that Fox is for batshit rightwingers but somehow CNN is 'reasonable' despite being the exact. same. thing.
0 Replies